Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Round under the Follower

CocoBolo

Back Ground -  9 major SVI 140 mag with Dawson 2+ pad, has worked for years without issue.   I'm having issues on occasion when a round gets under the follower and the mag goes salt shacker.   I alread replaced the spring and the follower and the problem persists.   Mag is clean and has not been dropped after loading.

The twin to this mag (zakley the same) continues to work 100%, as does the longer brother 170 mag. 

Spring and follower are grams. 

Ideas?

That's what I'm thinking to Ranger. In the old days, it was a problem with the ribs not extending all the down to prevent the round from slipping under the follower and that usually happened when you dropped a full/semi-full mag. It seems Coco did not have that happen so somehow, the dimensions must have changed a little or the follower may have changed. Did you replace it with the same Grams springs and follower CocoBolo? Has anything changed with their follower? Nice to see you again here, been a while. 

Bevin Grams was famous for correcting this problem with the original style SVI mags where the ribs did not extend lower on the sides of the mags. I have six of the original SVI mags that Bevin Tuned and never had that issue again. He crimped the lower portion of the magazine.

Edited by TONY BARONE
More info

Try it with a flat base pad (not a plus 1 or 2)

If it works fine then, the side rib needs to come towards the bottom

of the mag some more.  

Mag could have changed dimension just a bit over the years.

Check the welds front and rear, all my old style svi mags are starting to crack at the welds and spreading. This with the fact that most of the mags were filed on the sides so the base pad would fit gives you more internal room side to side. 

Take the spring and follower out of the mag.  Grab the spring at the top and bend it so the follower is less angles right to left.  That has always done the trick for me.