Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rollsizer Decapper Setup

CenTX

WARNING: There are exposed moving parts that, to me at least, look like they could hurt you if a body part were to get between the parts. (I did not test my theory.) When properly used there should be no need to get fingers involved with the moving parts. The switch has Forward, Off, and a momentary reverse.

My Rollsizer Decapper was delivered yesterday. Assembly and set up was pretty easy. Read the manual and it was pretty easy. Assembly consists of screwing in and adjusting the custom FW Self Centering Decapper die, appropriate drop tube and case feed and ejection tubes.

The unit is heavy enough that it does not need to be bolted to your workbench. I  set it next to my 650 to use the old two speed casefeeder. The tubes for brass and expended primers come out the bottom. Enough tubing comes with it to hook them all up. I set mine up to dump the brass in a covered bucket on the floor and the primers drop into a clear plastic jar with lid on the bottom shelf. (pictures attached.)

The manual says it is not for unattended use. It has what they call "Hiccup" safety mode, which is essentially a rapid start / stop operation in case of a jam. They warn that outrunning your case feeder can cause jams, it has an adjustable speed control to prevent that, so that may have caused my four jams early on. The manual says 99% of problems are caused by setting the decapper faster than what the casefeeder can consistently supply. I readjusted the FW die and slowed the Decapper, and have had no jams since. Other than the cost I really like it.

1872240483_Decapperbeside650.thumb.jpg.e581bbbd8206fa92172dcbd13c7ed837.jpg

Decapper close up.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have now run a full bucket of 9mm brass, well over 5K pieces. All of it was range brass, everything from once fired to well worn.

I had a total of seven jams. The four I mentioned earlier, the primers that stretched and formed a peak and were only partially ejected. I made the adjustment to the FW Decapper die height and the speed. The only jams after that were a pierced primer - the case/primer stuck on the decapping pin, and a Berdan primer. Looking back I should have noted the type of brass. Your results may vary.

Overall all I'm pretty happy with the the RAD (Rollsizer Automatic Decapper). It's not something you can walk away and leave running, but I worked on other things in my shop, there is a rhythm to the various noises and you immediately know the instant something is wrong and hit the switch to off, then clear the jam.

For the price I could have bought a lot commercially processed brass, but I like to tinker in my shop. I have always hated loading brass feeding tubes like on the Lee APP press I used to decap previously. Decapping is now much faster and much less tedious.

When I first started I used a big plastic coffee can for the primers and changed to a clear plastic jar so I can see when it needs to be emptied. When clearing the jams, I usually had a case drop into the collection bucket and did not know if it was decapped or not, so I had to dig in the brass to try and find it. If I have anymore jams. I will pull the the hose out of the brass

collection bucket before clearing the jam to avoid missing any that did not decap.

Very cool set up. I'm always trying to make my reloading process more efficient, which is why I ordered the Rollsizer decayer a couple days ago. I've been using the Lee APP, but it doesn't seem to like .40 cal. I spend a good deal of time pushing brass through the shell holder. It's a pain. Definitely looking forward to the arrival of the Rollsizer de-capper.

9 hours ago, SJBriggs said:

Very cool set up. I'm always trying to make my reloading process more efficient, which is why I ordered the Rollsizer decayer a couple days ago. I've been using the Lee APP, but it doesn't seem to like .40 cal. I spend a good deal of time pushing brass through the shell holder. It's a pain. Definitely looking forward to the arrival of the Rollsizer de-capper.

You can also download the Decapper manual from the Rollsizer website and read it ahead of time. When I read it I highlighted things I thought I might need to reference again. Read the manual, it could be better,but it has helpful information and will make setup and running easier.

The tubing will come with some kinks and they have a recommendation to fill the hose with hot water etc. to remove the kinks. I'm impatient, I put a zip tie on each kink and tightened it to make the hose round and have not had any problems. The box with the FW die will have an spare guide rod and different shuttle and spring, you will have one shuttle and spring for pistol and one for rifle.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the rollsizer Decaper and processed 10k of 9mm brass. It only jammed on Norma brass with extra small flash hole. The primers would decap but the case would be pulled up to the die, then case would be pressed down onto next primed case. The sound was easy to hear a difference then the machine stopped. A vice grip on the stuck case with a hammer cleared the jam. I'm feeding the machine with a Hasgrok feedinator. I mostly wanted to decap my brass for faster and more complete drying after wet tumbling. I now realize the benefit of decapping separately from my progressive loading. Some primers take more force to remove. Also not having debris in cases during loading and the extra small Norma flash holes with respective jams, that smooths out progressive reloading. You do need to be in same room with Decaper. I cleaned my PPC while running Decaper.

I have pierced one primer, did not note the brand, it was a very heavy crimp. I used pliers and a small hammer to remove it. Glade the Decaper has a reverse.

I had a couple of hundred Shell Shock cases and had several feed upside down. My Dillon case feeder, since new, has always been troublesome. The Shell Shock cases may contribute to that because of the aluminum base and stainless body. When I have a chance, I'll run them back through and see if there are any upside down.

292531537_Shellshockcases.png.f081823892bf6288e0e3684fabfae1d6.png run into a couple of upside down Shell Shock cases

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve had the Rollsizer decapper for almost a month now ! Absolute LOVE IT! Also have the Rollsizer and they are set up side by side and I use the Dillon casefeeder set up on the Rollsizer. When  using the decapper I turn the feeder slightly and connect to the decapper. I done well over 25k with the ONLY ISSUE being the pin getting stuck in the NORMA small flash hole brass. Reverse up, needle nose players on the stuck case, couple taps with a small hammer and start again😁

averaging about 6k pieces / hr!!!!

I have had my decapper just over a month now and have been very pleased with it's performance. I had some jams when I first got it, 7 (I think). One thing is to not it too fast and run out of brass in the feeder. Since then I have processed another 3K prox. 9mm with one jam, it was an upside down case, which I can't blame on the decapper. It is an expensive tool, but it sure takes out the real drudge work on my reloading.

Bought some more reloading stuff and rearranged my work shop to make things flow better. This is my mock up, I have not finalized everything. Once I'm sure, I'll mount everything permanently and make it look better.RL1100.thumb.jpg.3875e94f2da177cc687a0aafaeabdb13.jpg

I use the same case feeder for both the Decapper and my CasePro.

Decapper and CasePro.jpg

Edited by CenTX
double picture

Nice setup Centex.  I'm waiting for a few things from Mark at Immortal arms before I mount the commercial rollsizer and decapper.  He is working on something.

I really do not like how the case feeder post is located on the commerical rollsizer. It is too far to the left and does not give much room to mount the decapper to the right of it.   I don't have the time to build a nice base like ltdmster.  That would be at least 2 days of fab work for me. 

Edited by 67isb

On 2/16/2022 at 5:59 PM, ltdmstr said:

Anyone know how this one compares to the DiVinci unit?

Does not require the use of caliber specific inserts.  The only thing you change on the Rollsizer unit is the drop tube between small/large pistol and small/large rifle. The tube is the same as the rollsizer itself so they can be used in either machine.
Decapper die is the FW setup with the self centering shuttle. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2022 at 7:09 AM, 67isb said:

Nice setup Centex.  I'm waiting for a few things from Mark at Immortal arms before I mount the commercial rollsizer and decapper.  He is working on something.

I really do not like how the case feeder post is located on the commerical rollsizer. It is too far to the left and does not give much room to mount the decapper to the right of it.   I don't have the time to build a nice base like ltdmster.  That would be at least 2 days of fab work for me. 

Its actually set up offset for a very good reason. It allows changes to calibres from 9mm to 308 without needing to change the feeder hose.

On 2/16/2022 at 5:09 PM, 67isb said:

After trying several different setups, I finalized my brass processing with a different setup and turned the decapper to make more space. The spring case feed tube is pictured and I have used it with both 9mm and 45 ACP. To change to my Case-Pro 100 rollsizer I disconnect the spring and insert the Dillon 1100 casfeed tube. I have several containers under the bench and just move the decapper hose depending on how many cases I need to process.

Upgraded my casefeeder mount from PVC to black pipe, which was a solution by another forum member.

The decapper makes it easy to to start processing brass after each weekend. I decap all the cases and toss them in the tumbler, after tumbling they go into into the CasePro. This let's me use a small tumbler and separator, it's now a couple of small chores instead of waiting until I had thousands of cases to process and making it major chore.

1398165050_brassprocessing2.thumb.jpg.d041c2273b694ca723376190507c9d7a.jpg

2 hours ago, CenTX said:

Upgraded my casefeeder mount from PVC to black pipe, which was a solution by another forum member.

1398165050_brassprocessing2.thumb.jpg.d041c2273b694ca723376190507c9d7a.jpg

Can you post a picture of the back where your case feeder attaches to the pipe? Please  

Thanks  Matt

8 hours ago, icestud said:

Can you post a picture of the back where your case feeder attaches to the pipe? Please  

Thanks  Matt

Is this what you wanted? I could not find the Dillon set screw so I substituted a bolt of the proper size.

back view of mount.jpg

Thanks Bob, yes it is. I take it the 1" pipe fits fairly snug in the square hole? 

One more question, what is the system you are using to drop the cases through? ( the Spring case feed tube ) Currently I am using the plastic tube from Dillon, I like the idea I can mount my case feeder off center

Edited by icestud

1 hour ago, icestud said:

Thanks Bob, yes it is. I take it the 1" pipe fits fairly snug in the square hole? 

One more question, what is the system you are using to drop the cases through? ( the Spring case feed tube ) Currently I am using the plastic tube from Dillon, I like the idea I can mount my case feeder off center

The 1" pipe is snug, but the casefeeder will turn easily enough that I had to put in the bolt to prevent it from turning and not aligning with the Dillon feed tube.

Rather than reposting, either tubing or the spring to feed brass are both are addressed in the link below. Includes McMaster-Carr part number for the spring.

• 5 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

I've been looking at purchasing the decapper from Rollsizer, however, I was told that it was not that reliable and it wasn't quite there yet as for as performance, etc.  Great info! 

What are the reliability issues?

In my experience, the reliability of the Decapper depends on what you feed it. If you have lots of upside down cases, Berdan primers, wrong size cases mixed in, etc. you likely will have issues with a Decapper. Every jam does not break a decapping pin, depends on the jam. Most of my jams were when I first started using it and most are easy to clear. I am more careful in sorting my brass now, and my casefeeder very seldom throws an upside down case, so my only concern is Berdan primers. If you encounter lots of Berdan primers, a Decapper may not be for you.

I only have something over 15K 9mm and 45acp cases through my Decapper and am very happy with it. The count would be higher, but due to health reasons, I  have not been shooting for the last month or so. I have had some jams and broke several decapping pins early on and will likely break some more due to Berdan primers.

1 hour ago, CenTX said:

What are the reliability issues?

In my experience, the reliability of the Decapper depends on what you feed it. If you have lots of upside down cases, Berdan primers, wrong size cases mixed in, etc. you likely will have issues with a Decapper. Every jam does not break a decapping pin, depends on the jam. Most of my jams were when I first started using it and most are easy to clear. I am more careful in sorting my brass now, and my casefeeder very seldom throws an upside down case, so my only concern is Berdan primers. If you encounter lots of Berdan primers, a Decapper may not be for you.

I only have something over 15K 9mm and 45acp cases through my Decapper and am very happy with it. The count would be higher, but due to health reasons, I  have not been shooting for the last month or so. I have had some jams and broke several decapping pins early on and will likely break some more due to Berdan primers.

I was told that by a commercial brass processor~  So...  I am actually looking at purchasing one myself since I already have the commerical rollsizer, this would be a nice welcomed addition

16 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

I was told that by a commercial brass processor~  So...  I am actually looking at purchasing one myself since I already have the commerical rollsizer, this would be a nice welcomed addition

That is a totally different. I would agree that the Rollsizer Decapper is not the appropriate tool for a commercial brass processor, it is not near fast enough. Also, while you don't have to watch the Decapper, but you should be nearby to hear it in case it jams.