Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rollsizer Decapper Setup

CenTX

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

I've been looking at purchasing the decapper from Rollsizer, however, I was told that it was not that reliable and it wasn't quite there yet as for as performance, etc.  Great info! 

As a small commercial brass processor and authorized reseller the Rollsizer products, I would say that the statement above is accurate depending on what you are trying to process. 

Having bent / broke more pins / rods than I care to count from running the machine at or above its limitations, I have a few tips and tricks to share 

1) It is very critical that you get the brass sorted properly BEFORE it goes into the decapper. Trying to get the .22LR off from the pin, and out of the .32 that is nested in a 9, that is nested in a 40, that is nested in a 45 is shall we say difficult. 

2) It will run a bit better if it has already been dry tumbled in walnut or corn cob media. While you "CAN" run really dirty brass through it, that ends up getting on the linear guides for the push rod or the guide for the FW Arms Die

3) I can run fastest (As in full speed on the dial) on brass with large primers because they typically have large flash holes. Where I get in trouble is with that Norma brass crap on 9mm. This stuff will stick on the decapping pin every, single time and then jam up the whole machine. Usually looks like this -  

stuck_norma_brass.jpg

So to counter that I worked with a local machine shop in North Carolina to develop a modified wear plate that we use when we run 9mm - 

modified_wear_plate.jpeg

This is essentially a shell holder that works for 9mm only that is holding the case down so that when the norma brass gets stuck on the pin that it will have something holding it down as the machine is on its upstroke. Note - This design is not perfect, it causes a separate issue that we are still working on, but it helps significantly. 

4) You will break pins constantly if you run the machine too hard, and if it starts to get bent but doesn't break, it will bend or warp the rod from FW Arms next. Thankfully you can order both pins and rods directly from FW arms without paying the international fees. 

Overall this product is really cool and has helped us automate / increase our processing significantly, but as another poster said, you cannot leave it unattended, and it does require a bit of TLC to keep it running optimally. 

11 hours ago, TheCaryBrassGuy said:

As a small commercial brass processor and authorized reseller the Rollsizer products, I would say that the statement above is accurate depending on what you are trying to process. 

Having bent / broke more pins / rods than I care to count from running the machine at or above its limitations, I have a few tips and tricks to share 

1) It is very critical that you get the brass sorted properly BEFORE it goes into the decapper. Trying to get the .22LR off from the pin, and out of the .32 that is nested in a 9, that is nested in a 40, that is nested in a 45 is shall we say difficult. 

2) It will run a bit better if it has already been dry tumbled in walnut or corn cob media. While you "CAN" run really dirty brass through it, that ends up getting on the linear guides for the push rod or the guide for the FW Arms Die

3) I can run fastest (As in full speed on the dial) on brass with large primers because they typically have large flash holes. Where I get in trouble is with that Norma brass crap on 9mm. This stuff will stick on the decapping pin every, single time and then jam up the whole machine. Usually looks like this -  

stuck_norma_brass.jpg

So to counter that I worked with a local machine shop in North Carolina to develop a modified wear plate that we use when we run 9mm - 

modified_wear_plate.jpeg

This is essentially a shell holder that works for 9mm only that is holding the case down so that when the norma brass gets stuck on the pin that it will have something holding it down as the machine is on its upstroke. Note - This design is not perfect, it causes a separate issue that we are still working on, but it helps significantly. 

4) You will break pins constantly if you run the machine too hard, and if it starts to get bent but doesn't break, it will bend or warp the rod from FW Arms next. Thankfully you can order both pins and rods directly from FW arms without paying the international fees. 

Overall this product is really cool and has helped us automate / increase our processing significantly, but as another poster said, you cannot leave it unattended, and it does require a bit of TLC to keep it running optimally. 

Nice info, thanks~  Would be interested to get that that wear plate as an added mod to the Decapper~ 

20 hours ago, TheCaryBrassGuy said:

stuck_norma_brass.jpg

modified_wear_plate.jpeg

Good info. When my decapper jams up, it's because of one of two reasons: 1) The pin in the die was not set low enough causing the primer to push halfway out of the pocket. This would cause the casing to hang up on the plate as it gets pushed forward by the next casing. It took me a couple of adjustments to make sure I had the pin set very low. 2) The decapped casing wouldn't fall down the chute and ends up crooked on top of the shell plate. I believe this is a result of just running the machine too fast, however, I wonder if I would get more consistent drops if that hole were opened up slightly.

5 minutes ago, sc68cal said:

I have one. It works quite well. The key is getting the right size tubing for the primer chute and the finished brass. I'll post a full review

That would be great.  I'm seriously considering getting one.  Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I added a stop switch thats table mounted. I can sit on my stool and rest my thumb on the box. I am able to stop the machine now if theres a mishap , preventing the pin from getting broken. 

280651227_2041748619490567_8052999248187055764_n.jpg

Edited by Johnnymazz

14 hours ago, Johnnymazz said:

I added a stop switch thats table mounted. I can sit on my stool and rest my thumb on the box. I am able to stop the machine now if theres a mishap , preventing the pin from getting broken. 

280651227_2041748619490567_8052999248187055764_n.jpg

That's pretty cool! 

Jmazz,

That is a nice stop switch.  I need to get one like it.  By the time you hear the strange sound of the decapper, it is too late to stop it and you've broken a pin.

I had a situation where a pin broke, but I didn't realize it and had to sort through bunch of brass that was not decapped.

• 3 months later...
On 1/13/2022 at 9:31 PM, CenTX said:

I have now run a full bucket of 9mm brass, well over 5K pieces. All of it was range brass, everything from once fired to well worn.

I had a total of seven jams. The four I mentioned earlier, the primers that stretched and formed a peak and were only partially ejected. I made the adjustment to the FW Decapper die height and the speed. The only jams after that were a pierced primer - the case/primer stuck on the decapping pin, and a Berdan primer. Looking back I should have noted the type of brass. Your results may vary.

Overall all I'm pretty happy with the the RAD (Rollsizer Automatic Decapper). It's not something you can walk away and leave running, but I worked on other things in my shop, there is a rhythm to the various noises and you immediately know the instant something is wrong and hit the switch to off, then clear the jam.

For the price I could have bought a lot commercially processed brass, but I like to tinker in my shop. I have always hated loading brass feeding tubes like on the Lee APP press I used to decap previously. Decapping is now much faster and much less tedious.

When I first started I used a big plastic coffee can for the primers and changed to a clear plastic jar so I can see when it needs to be emptied. When clearing the jams, I usually had a case drop into the collection bucket and did not know if it was decapped or not, so I had to dig in the brass to try and find it. If I have anymore jams. I will pull the the hose out of the brass

collection bucket before clearing the jam to avoid missing any that did not decap.

Received the Rollsizer Decapping maching this weekend, after setup, and processing brass the FW Arms decapping die has broken 3 pins.  I have yet to do 100 pieces of brass without encountering jams, broken pins, etc. 🤨

On 4/24/2022 at 1:17 AM, TheCaryBrassGuy said:

stuck_norma_brass.jpg

modified_wear_plate.jpeg

I would love to get a modified wear plate for my Decapper~  

stuck_norma_brass.jpg

modified_wear_plate.jpeg

Can that modified guideplate be purchased???

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/14/2022 at 8:15 AM, chgofirefighter said:

Received the Rollsizer Decapping maching this weekend, after setup, and processing brass the FW Arms decapping die has broken 3 pins.  I have yet to do 100 pieces of brass without encountering jams, broken pins, etc. 🤨

I would clean the brass in corncob for an hour prior to decapping. Get a stop switch like the one I posted, will save you from breaking pins. The machine isnt a dump the brass in and walk away unit

On 11/7/2022 at 4:22 AM, Johnnymazz said:

I would clean the brass in corncob for an hour prior to decapping. Get a stop switch like the one I posted, will save you from breaking pins. The machine isnt a dump the brass in and walk away unit

If you pay over 1k for a reloading tool, it should work out of the box, period!  The issues were corrected after receiving new parts from Rollsizer and some guidance from its owner Kevin Whitehead...  However, the parts needed were upgraded parts I guess my unit had older parts... Now she's running like a kitty!  I can decap up to 2k without any hiccup... Literally turn on and walk away, come back brass is done!!! 

21 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

If you pay over 1k for a reloading tool, it should work out of the box, period!  The issues were corrected after receiving new parts from Rollsizer and some guidance from its owner Kevin Whitehead...  However, the parts needed were upgraded parts I guess my unit had older parts... Now she's running like a kitty!  I can decap up to 2k without any hiccup... Literally turn on and walk away, come back brass is done!!! 

Then its all good in the hood for you

• 7 months later...
On 4/23/2022 at 8:52 PM, Johnnymazz said:

pipe works great, I used a short one. Black pipe was tight, galvanized fit perfect.

278377960_1630528010654847_1205954197145619335_n.thumb.jpg.aa5e59df049aa3430ec02351166e3302.jpg

I know this is an old thread but.....

Has anyone used the decapper to feed the roll sizer?   

So the brass would be deprimed then run through the roll sizer in one run through. 

I am thinking about buying both.

On 7/1/2023 at 6:05 AM, Jsjac said:

I know this is an old thread but.....

Has anyone used the decapper to feed the roll sizer?   

So the brass would be deprimed then run through the roll sizer in one run through. 

I am thinking about buying both.

You dont want to do that. Brass should be cleaned before Rollsizing

Has anyone tried to connect the decapping machine and the rollsizer in series? In my head my vision is a case feeder up top on the bench feeding a decapping machine which is feeding another casefeeder at bench level to a rollsizer under the bench and then drop cases on a bucket on a floor