CenTX

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/23/2022 at 6:51 AM, CenTX said:

What are the reliability issues?

In my experience, the reliability of the Decapper depends on what you feed it. If you have lots of upside down cases, Berdan primers, wrong size cases mixed in, etc. you likely will have issues with a Decapper. Every jam does not break a decapping pin, depends on the jam. Most of my jams were when I first started using it and most are easy to clear. I am more careful in sorting my brass now, and my casefeeder very seldom throws an upside down case, so my only concern is Berdan primers. If you encounter lots of Berdan primers, a Decapper may not be for you.

I only have something over 15K 9mm and 45acp cases through my Decapper and am very happy with it. The count would be higher, but due to health reasons, I  have not been shooting for the last month or so. I have had some jams and broke several decapping pins early on and will likely break some more due to Berdan primers.

I just bought their rollsizer decapper and broke 2 pins in the first 20 minutes. I am getting jams with cases not exiting the machine and causing a backup, then it breaks a pin. Using the same case feeder that can deliver enough that it shuts off feeding their commercial rollsizer with 6 bolts running 9mm. Had jams with the roll sizer as well but got that figured out and when I get back home I will work on the decapper. I did run video and it is cases that are deprimed falling over and jamming up where they exit into the discharge tube.

On 4/23/2022 at 11:17 PM, TheCaryBrassGuy said:

As a small commercial brass processor and authorized reseller the Rollsizer products, I would say that the statement above is accurate depending on what you are trying to process. 

Having bent / broke more pins / rods than I care to count from running the machine at or above its limitations, I have a few tips and tricks to share 

1) It is very critical that you get the brass sorted properly BEFORE it goes into the decapper. Trying to get the .22LR off from the pin, and out of the .32 that is nested in a 9, that is nested in a 40, that is nested in a 45 is shall we say difficult. 

2) It will run a bit better if it has already been dry tumbled in walnut or corn cob media. While you "CAN" run really dirty brass through it, that ends up getting on the linear guides for the push rod or the guide for the FW Arms Die

3) I can run fastest (As in full speed on the dial) on brass with large primers because they typically have large flash holes. Where I get in trouble is with that Norma brass crap on 9mm. This stuff will stick on the decapping pin every, single time and then jam up the whole machine. Usually looks like this -  

stuck_norma_brass.jpg

So to counter that I worked with a local machine shop in North Carolina to develop a modified wear plate that we use when we run 9mm - 

modified_wear_plate.jpeg

This is essentially a shell holder that works for 9mm only that is holding the case down so that when the norma brass gets stuck on the pin that it will have something holding it down as the machine is on its upstroke. Note - This design is not perfect, it causes a separate issue that we are still working on, but it helps significantly. 

4) You will break pins constantly if you run the machine too hard, and if it starts to get bent but doesn't break, it will bend or warp the rod from FW Arms next. Thankfully you can order both pins and rods directly from FW arms without paying the international fees. 

Overall this product is really cool and has helped us automate / increase our processing significantly, but as another poster said, you cannot leave it unattended, and it does require a bit of TLC to keep it running optimally. 

You should sell that plate as I would buy one. ALso calibel specific drop tubes would help fix issues as well. He hit a home run with the commercial rollsizer but needs to address the issues with the decapper.

22 hours ago, esquared said:

I just bought their rollsizer decapper and broke 2 pins in the first 20 minutes. I am getting jams with cases not exiting the machine and causing a backup, then it breaks a pin. Using the same case feeder that can deliver enough that it shuts off feeding their commercial rollsizer with 6 bolts running 9mm. Had jams with the roll sizer as well but got that figured out and when I get back home I will work on the decapper. I did run video and it is cases that are deprimed falling over and jamming up where they exit into the discharge tube.

I had the same problem when I first got mine.  The adjustment was off.  The link the pushes/slides the brass case (horizontally)in was not adjusted properly.   Remove one end and make that link shorter and see how that works. 

Edited by 67isb

Adjust this linkage where it is shorter.  This will ensure the brass case gets pushed out and ejected.

Also, any chance you're trying to decap Norma 9mm brass?  Those will have a very small flash hole and will cause issues.

decapper-4-web-1.jpg

Edited by 67isb

99% of the decapper issues are resolved by a few things

1. Download the updated manual from th rollsizer.com website

2. Shorten the linkage between the Decapper and the case pusher per the above picture

3. if processing rifle pegs the newer peg design (think of it as a Clothes peg) these stabilise the rifle cases (223 especially) 

4. if you have range pickup with tight or corroded primer pockets, get the upgraded wearplate (available online) these have been standard fitment for the last 9 months or so but earlier machines may not have them. The updated manual shows you how to machine this slot yourself if you have the gear.

Too easy

On 12/25/2023 at 9:54 PM, 67isb said:

Adjust this linkage where it is shorter.  This will ensure the brass case gets pushed out and ejected.

Also, any chance you're trying to decap Norma 9mm brass?  Those will have a very small flash hole and will cause issues.

decapper-4-web-1.jpg

Norma brass has been the majority of the issue. Also a few NNY cases have caused issues. After I started having the head stamp sorting machine sort out the offending cases I was able to run 35,000 cases without breaking a pin. Other issue is every once in a while a case will either stick on the pin or one will not clear the jaws and I will end up with a few jammed in one spot. Will try adjusting that rod to see if it makes a difference.

The norma cases deprime on my Dillon sizing die without issue. Only time I break a pin is if a case falls over gooing into the sizing die but since buying FW arms plates that issue is all but gone.

On 7/1/2023 at 3:05 AM, Jsjac said:

I know this is an old thread but.....

Has anyone used the decapper to feed the roll sizer?   

So the brass would be deprimed then run through the roll sizer in one run through. 

I am thinking about buying both.

I am cleaning my brass before it is decapped. Some of my issues at first were from running dirty brass with the Norma crap mixed in. Machine sorted the Norma crap out and now I can run for hours without issues. You do need clean brass to rollsize so I guess you could feed it with clean bras from the decapper although you will slow down the roll sizer as it runs twice as fast as the decapper.

• 1 month later...

I want to count rounds on my Decapper. A counter on either the Decapper or the case feeder will do the job.

Don't suggest a Armanov counter. It could be adapted if the damn thing worked. It worked for a short while and then would not program. Just before the warranty ran out I emailed Rmanov, they responded a couple of time and then went silent. Since it is no longer available I assume they reliability issues.

Sorry for the rant. If I do not get any recommendations, Ill fabricate something similar to what I did on my 1100.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2023 at 9:56 PM, Chills1994 said:

Thanks for bumping this thread.

I never knew such a thing existed.

Now, if they made a doodad that also removed primer crimps at the same time, I’d be all over it.

🙂 

get a reamer from VP Mfg, fits on the 1050 and I run mine at 3000rph

On 4/7/2024 at 12:44 AM, slavex said:

get a reamer from VP Mfg, fits on the 1050 and I run mine at 3000rph

That means I would have to get a 1050.

😛