Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference between Fed 100s and GM100s?

Guitarmageddon

My wheelgun gets a steady diet of gold medal gm100s, but I do have some regular fed 100s, just haven't used them in a lightened trigger scenario.

Just curious, is there any difference in what we know and love for that "low strike force" federal primer ignition, between the two types? Or are they both about the same in force to set them off?

6 minutes ago, Guitarmageddon said:

My wheelgun gets a steady diet of gold medal gm100s, but I do have some regular fed 100s, just haven't used them in a lightened trigger scenario.

Just curious, is there any difference in what we know and love for that "low strike force" federal primer ignition, between the two types? Or are they both about the same in force to set them off?

GM:

I do not notice a difference between the two other than cost.  I imagine that when Federal tests their 100 series primers and find a lot of them that are very consistent, they package them as 'Match'.  I bet if you chronographed loads with each you would probably find the Match primers to have a smaller SD.  I wouldn't go so far as to say the Match ones will give better performance on paper.  Just my experience with both types of primers in pistol and rifle.

GG

44 minutes ago, RePete said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is QC.  It's better with the GM.

In normal times, maybe.  In times of shortages?

This is the 3rd serious primer shortage I've seen in my 50 years of shooting.  During the first one, back around 2006/7/8?, I found 3 Fed Match SPP's that had deformed cups or deformed/missing anvils from the box.  I'd had a couple of misfires the previous few hundred rounds and started inspecting the primers before loading them into primer tubes.  Found the 3 from within a certain flat.  Now I do it religously and found another during the last drought.

This is the longest drought I've ever seen though!  I've not seen any issues with the Fed's I have now.

BUT the new RP Primers won't work at all with any kind of 9mm crimped primer pocket, I've tried swaging multiple times even.  Seems the cup is just slightly larger.

The new CCI's over fill my Dillon Primer Storage Tubes at 96 too?  Seems they have the anvils set just a shade higher, they also take a different setting on the 1050 to get seated as deep as the Fed's.  They both work once loaded.

Another note, I've been told by some Industry guys that most Case Manufacturers are going to switch their 45 ACP & 10MM Cases to Small Pistol Primers!!!  

19 hours ago, pskys2 said:

This is the 3rd serious primer shortage I've seen in my 50 years of shooting.  During the first one, back around 2006/7/8?, I found 3 Fed Match SPP's that had deformed cups or deformed/missing anvils from the box.  I'd had a couple of misfires the previous few hundred rounds and started inspecting the primers before loading them into primer tubes.  Found the 3 from within a certain flat.  Now I do it religously and found another during the last drought.

This is the longest drought I've ever seen though!  I've not seen any issues with the Fed's I have now.

BUT the new RP Primers won't work at all with any kind of 9mm crimped primer pocket, I've tried swaging multiple times even.  Seems the cup is just slightly larger.

The new CCI's over fill my Dillon Primer Storage Tubes at 96 too?  Seems they have the anvils set just a shade higher, they also take a different setting on the 1050 to get seated as deep as the Fed's.  They both work once loaded.

Another note, I've been told by some Industry guys that most Case Manufacturers are going to switch their 45 ACP & 10MM Cases to Small Pistol Primers!!!  

hmm thats odd. I have dillon primer tubes made many years ago and never had an overfill issue. probably can hold 105.

20 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I remember the shortages when I couldn't get any Federal primers, so I started setting up my revolvers to set off CCI's.

I never had a problem with the Fed's and I load the in NT brass.  I used a 1050 since 2006.  Mind you, the latest Fed NT brass, the crimped primer pockets have started to pi$$ me off in that I chuck them in the scrap brass bin.

42 minutes ago, Guitarmageddon said:

hmm thats odd. I have dillon primer tubes made many years ago and never had an overfill issue. probably can hold 105.

Me too, the newest I have are at least 15 years old, 10 each LP & SP.  As I said this is a new issue and only applies to the newer CCI.

Edited by pskys2

I guess Large pistol primers are kind of the oddball. Small rifle and pistol interchange, large rifle is all by itself. I just hope they don’t quit making LPP before I use up all my brass or am dead. 
And BTW I have found more consistency and lower SD with the match primers in rifle. These were a few years ago which could make a difference too. (Better QC)

Edited by Farmer