Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass ejector for processing on a 1050/1100

Neat little printed gadget. It kicks the brass out of station 3 after resizing/depriming in station 2. Makes that operation a LOT faster than pulling each piece of brass manually. They fall pretty much straight down so easy to collect in a waiting bin. I've processed several hundred through it in the last few days on my Dillon 1100, works great. You get 2 of them for $15. 

https://suncoastbrass.com/products/2-dillon-1050-1100-brass-process-bypass

On ebay also:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324935328611?hash=item4ba7a7a363:g:Y~EAAOSw51JhmXac

When I got my 1050 14 years ago, the thing that I noticed with the factory ejector was that the round would tip and jam the press.  I removed the factory unit nd made my own, using the bend in the original as a guide.

Here is a picture of it and it works perfectly and took my 10 minutes to make.

w2cinSO.jpg

Edited by RePete

On 12/18/2021 at 7:36 AM, jejb said:

It kicks the brass out of station 3 after resizing/depriming in station 2. Makes that operation a LOT faster than pulling each piece of brass manually.

Looks like an interesting solution, but why not just let them go all the way around to the ejection point? The only reason I can think of is wanting to keep the rest of the stations set up with primer, powder and dies.

But I do love ingenuity!

18 minutes ago, AHI said:

Am I the only one using a seperate tool head? Process head universal decap. / swage hold down/ then around the other side a lee undersize.

Nope..I run a separate toolhead, sizing die is on seating station then run a Lee FCD crimp die with crimp insert removed on last station.

32 minutes ago, AHI said:

Am I the only one using a seperate tool head? Process head universal decap. / swage hold down/ then around the other side a lee undersize.

Nope. I have the same setup on my processing tool head using FW Arms auto primer popper, FW arms swage hold down, Lee U-die without decapping pin.

57 minutes ago, AHI said:

No. I've got one set up exactly as you describe except just the regular Lee sizer.

It seems to me the only rationale for that gadget is for those with a single tool head who want to do two pass reloading.

In that case it is probably a clever solution assuming it really works.

13 hours ago, ddc said:

It seems to me the only rationale for that gadget is for those with a single tool head who want to do two pass reloading.

In that case it is probably a clever solution assuming it really works.

Correct. I use a single tool head. Just screw in the sizing die, unscrew the swaging die and install this part. I use locking die rings. That's a lot faster and a lot cheaper than a separate tool head. 

And it does work. I've processed a few hundred rounds with it and it has not missed a beat. 

Edited by jejb

• 4 weeks later...

This just came up again. Something I didn't notice before. For this to work . Would you not need a autodrive?

Would not the handel get in the way of ejected brass?Or are you just letting it go every weare ?

2 hours ago, jejb said:

No, the handle does not get in the way. It is past the ejection port by the time the shell gets kicked out. 

How do you catch the brass? Show me a picture if you can.

I just put a bin, like the one that comes stock on an 1100 (link below), under station 3. They fall right in. I have another version that has a spring in it. Same design, just a slightly different material and the small spring. That one kicks them out the side about a foot. Again, I just put that same bin about a foot to the right and they all pop right in there. Just did 300 this morning.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/cartridge-bins-for-rl-1050-reloader_8_10_24016.html

A bin under station Three would be in the handle that operates the press. How far does this through the brass? Just trying to get a idea of how or why this is so great.

Edited by AHI

The non-spring version does not throw them far at all. The bin I linked to above sits right under that station and will catch them. The spring loaded version throws them about a foot. 

For the 1050/1100, it's handy because you'd otherwise have to take them off by hand at station #3. So you'd have to pull the handle through a stroke, let go of the handle, grab the brass and put it in a bin/bag/etc, grab the handle and repeat. That's assuming a process where you don't want to change the toolhead between runs which, again, is not a cheap or trivial thing to do on a 1050/1100. With this device, you never have to let go of the handle. Just cranks them out. If you've never owned or run one of these presses and processed necked cartridges with it, it may not make sense. 

Edited by jejb

Have  1050.   Still do not see how your catch been that goes after station 8.  is catching brass. 

also just this morning fully processed a 5 gallon bucket full of 9mm brass. that now can be loaded on any press.

Not just deprimed.

6 minutes ago, AHI said:

By the way changing tool heads. Is a hell of a lot easier than all the newbies make it out to be.

It is a  ten minute or less operation.

and it is a great time to do some cleaning/lubing/maintenance on the top end while it is off...

21 hours ago, AHI said:

Have  1050.   Still do not see how your catch been that goes after station 8.  is catching brass. 

Watch the video on the other thread. They just fall out and drop into a container, much like they do after station 8.

By the way changing tool heads. Is a hell of a lot easier than all the newbies make it out to be.

It is a  ten minute or less operation.

It's a lot harder than it is on a 550/650/750. But yeah, it's not difficult. Just expensive to buy and more time consuming to change. I avoid the issue nicely with a $10 part. I call that a win. 

8 hours ago, jejb said:

Watch the video on the other thread. They just fall out and drop into a container, much like they do after station 8.

other threads video has a bracket fashioned to set the catch bin on top of the auto drives belt guard. Believe it or not I am not trying to argue with you.

I truly would like to know how this could work. The case would be coming out as the handel lines up with station 3. Now if the timing is just right it may miss the handel . 

But wear does it end up. Wear do you end up setting the bin to catch the brass?

13 hours ago, AHI said:

other threads video has a bracket fashioned to set the catch bin on top of the auto drives belt guard. Believe it or not I am not trying to argue with you.

I truly would like to know how this could work. The case would be coming out as the handel lines up with station 3. Now if the timing is just right it may miss the handel . 

But wear does it end up. Wear do you end up setting the bin to catch the brass?

You're right, the bin in the other video is mounted up higher on something. I wish someone would do a video on how this cheap version works. My 1100 is mounted flush to my bench, and the bin is resting on the bench right next to where the handle attaches. They just drop in. If you have a strong mount type mount, you'd might need to fab something up to catch them since those are flared out at that bottom. Maybe not though. The timing is such that they do not hit the handle, even with the spring loaded one.