Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1100 vs. Apex 10

It's that time. I'm looking for an addition to the family and want an upgrade from my XL750. It's been a great machine, but I want a smoother running press with more die space and the ability to automate. I love the fit and finish of the Apex 10, but the priming system makes me hesitant. The RL1100 looks to be a huge step up from the XL750, but the build quality seems to be on par with my current machine. Has anyone purchase an RL1100 and wish they picked up an Apex 10, or vice versa?

I've never seen an Apex 10 in the flesh, so no opinion there. But I did recently upgrade from a 650 to an 1100. I would not call it a huge step up, but it is a step up. The swaging station and power of the press are probably the 2 things I notice most. Nice to have the extra stations also, if you need them. No regrets on staying Dillon. 

Edited by jejb

I went from a 550 to an 1100. I briefly looked at the Apex, but in the end, I couldn’t justify the extra cost, especially when Dillon had been so good to me for over 25 years. I stayed with Dillon and don’t regret it at all. It was a very big difference going from the 550 to the 1100. 

Same experience here. I went from a 550 to 650 and finally 1100. I sold the 650 and keep the 550 for load development, reloading .45 ACP/.308 while the 1100 is setup for loading 9mm/.223. I mainly bought the 1100 for it’s swaging feature since I process a lot of .223.

Another consideration -- although I don't know if it applies to the RL1100 -- is that with my XL750, I had to spend a little extra cash to get it to run the way I wanted. It seems that with the Apex 10, you set it up and go. There doesn't really seem to be that many "upgrades" to the press, as everyone that I know who owns one say they are solid right out of the box. Any possible upgrades that go into the Dillon machine will only get me closer to the cost of a Apex.

As for automating, it seems that with the extra station in the Apex 10, that machine may be hard to beat. But still, that priming system... 😬

18 hours ago, SJBriggs said:

Another consideration -- although I don't know if it applies to the RL1100 -- is that with my XL750, I had to spend a little extra cash to get it to run the way I wanted. It seems that with the Apex 10, you set it up and go. There doesn't really seem to be that many "upgrades" to the press, as everyone that I know who owns one say they are solid right out of the box. Any possible upgrades that go into the Dillon machine will only get me closer to the cost of a Apex.

Good point, but I really don't think it applies nearly as much to the 1100. On my 650, I did buy a lot of accessories. Primer cutout, roller handle, etc. The only after market accessory I've purchased for my 1100 is an LED light for under the toolhead (I had one on the 650 also). 

• 4 weeks later...

No experience with the Apex but I love my 1100. Had a 1050 before it that I debated keeping but the 1100 is definitely smoother so sold it off and figured if I ever wanted a second for large primers I'd get another 1100. I swap calibers on it and it's not that big of a deal since you should tear down to clean once in a while anyway. My 1100 has zero upgrades other than a bullet feeder. I also have a 750 and feel the build quality is much improved on the 1100.

On 12/22/2021 at 4:35 AM, StefVanHauwe said:

I have a D S1050 and an M7 Apex10. S1050 runs perfectly, no issues. Did have issues with the A10 from the start, but now everything is dailed in, I use it as my primary press for my major ammo.

How would you compare the two? If buying again at equal prices would you go apex again? I have quite a few caliber conversions for 1050/1100 otherwise I might have been tempted to try an Apex.

4 hours ago, Ryan67 said:

How would you compare the two? If buying again at equal prices would you go apex again? I have quite a few caliber conversions for 1050/1100 otherwise I might have been tempted to try an Apex.

I would only go for the S1050. The press is fully mature and runs great for a decent price.

• 3 weeks later...

The 1100 requires less fiddling to get running from what I see. Only down side is missing one station after the priming so you have to give up one of these things. Powder check, bullet feeder, or seat and crimp being separate. The index mechanism on the big dillons isn't the best design. Buy a pack of extra shoulder bolts for the index roller. The 1100 operates smoother than the S1050. The S1050 does have stronger leverage and taller stroke. I lube all my brass and the 1100 runs great. I'm sticking with 1100s unless I need a taller stroke.