Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armanov RL1100 toolhead

Curious if anyone has taken the plunge or even seen the quick change toolhead being offered for the 1100? Ultimately I want to buy another toolhead for processing and really like the concept using the LNL bushings. Thoughts?

I was tempted to try the Armanov tool head when I ordered up my 1100 conversion (9mm to .223) a few days ago, but went with the Dillon Quick Change tool head instead. I already have an LED ring of lights that will easily transfer from one Dillon toolhead to another, so that was not a big selling point to me. The LNL bushings is interesting and looks like a good idea. If I ever need to load something other than 9mm and 223/556 on my 1100, I may regret not getting the Armanov part. 

I started on a LNL so I learned the bushing issue was resolved with a slightly bigger metric o-ring. Lots of love for the CNC Shooter toolhead but availability has been non existent. Black Friday pricing makes it very tempting...

On 11/24/2021 at 8:23 AM, jubi351 said:

I started on a LNL so I learned the bushing issue was resolved with a slightly bigger metric o-ring. Lots of love for the CNC Shooter toolhead but availability has been non existent. Black Friday pricing makes it very tempting...

Wow, I'd say. If it that had been that price a few days ago, I'd have jumped on it. 

Edited by jejb

Some observations/comments on this toolhead.

The very first CNC Shooter toolheads for Dillon 1050 was made from aluminum. It did not hold up so they went to steel.  Aluminum works fine for Dillon 550/650 toolheads, but does not hold up well for 1050/1100 presses.  The center hole can/will get enlarged over time with enough cycles.

LNL bushing setup is a liability imho. Why would you want something that is less secure that a threaded toolhead?

I also ordered one with the black Friday pricing. Glad I did. Apparently they are sending out the gen 2 version which has a threaded priming station. I am very excited! If someone reminds me in a few months I will update with how I like using the toolhead. If I don't like keep an eye on the classifieds 😛 

On 11/26/2021 at 12:07 PM, 67isb said:

Some observations/comments on this toolhead.

The very first CNC Shooter toolheads for Dillon 1050 was made from aluminum. It did not hold up so they went to steel.  Aluminum works fine for Dillon 550/650 toolheads, but does not hold up well for 1050/1100 presses.  The center hole can/will get enlarged over time with enough cycles.

LNL bushing setup is a liability imho. Why would you want something that is less secure that a threaded toolhead?

You make a good point on the stress. I am planning to use mine mostly for 2 pass loading. Definitely no rifle sizing, and perhaps the occasional small batch of pistol ammo. Brass will be done on factory heads primarily.

The main concern with the bushings seems to be the o-ring can compress over time. So runout with seating and sizing may be possible. 

The benefits are being able to go from brass prep to loading quickly and savings when loading multiple calibers. This will save me from needing about 3-5 factory toolheads for dedicated loading

• 2 weeks later...

So my toolhead was not threaded above the priming station. Contacted Armanov and they said it was decided not to thread that area and did not update the web pics or the picture on the box for that matter. He told me they have already redesigned a new toolhead with a complete extra station, similar to the CNC, which will be available in a couple of weeks. They are swapping me out for the new one. Great customer service on their end, will provide an update later.

2 hours ago, jubi351 said:

So my toolhead was not threaded above the priming station. Contacted Armanov and they said it was decided not to thread that area and did not update the web pics or the picture on the box for that matter. He told me they have already redesigned a new toolhead with a complete extra station, similar to the CNC, which will be available in a couple of weeks. They are swapping me out for the new one. Great customer service on their end, will provide an update later.

I'm curious to see how that extra station works out with an aluminum head.

On the CNC steel tool head there is not a lot of material left on the primer actuating lever side of the head.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 8:23 PM, jubi351 said:

Did your 1st head have the short alignment pin that goes thru the primer slide/cam? 

I think mine is missing. 

12 hours ago, ezra650 said:

Did your 1st head have the short alignment pin that goes thru the primer slide/cam? 

I think mine is missing. 

Isn't it either there or not?

17 hours ago, ezra650 said:

Just checked mine and everything is exactly the same as Dillon, 2 alignment pins and primer rod. Got an email from Armanov this morning and the new toolhead should ship next week.

1 hour ago, jubi351 said:

Just checked mine and everything is exactly the same as Dillon, 2 alignment pins and primer rod. Got an email from Armanov this morning and the new toolhead should ship next week.

There should be 3 if you count the spring guide rod as a "pin". My toolhead is missing the pin just past the swage station that keeps the primer slide in place. I guess they forgot to press it in?? They also had offered me an upgrade to the new toolhead. At that time I was told it was a smaller thread than 7/8. Now I see the updated pics on the website and it is a full size die thread. I hope they will still allow me to upgrade/exchange mine. At the very least I need a priming alignment pin because as of right now this toolhead is useless. But then I'd have to press/glue it in *groan* 

I'm sure they will take care of me. They have been very accommodating so far. I wish they had phone hours listed. I called 2pm their time and just got hold music for several minutes. Email has been good but a 24hr gap between responses, due to time differences I suppose. 

• 3 weeks later...

New toolhead installed, got all the dies set and now swapping from processing to production is a breeze. Very happy with the fitment, the only issue is I wish they had used 5k LEDs as it appears they went with 3.5k for the lighting. Time will tell how durable it will be.

PXL_20220126_185605743.jpg

Haven't really put much work in yet. Got everything set up for loading 9mm major and then just ran about 100 pieces of old brass through the FW decapper to test for function. I started with the LNL when I first got in to reloading and actually really like the quick change bushings. Armanov has great customer service so I imagine if there are any problems down the road I am sure they will stand behind their product.

Edited by jubi351

On 2/2/2022 at 12:20 PM, jubi351 said:

Haven't really put much work in yet. Got everything set up for loading 9mm major and then just ran about 100 pieces of old brass through the FW decapper to test for function. I started with the LNL when I first got in to reloading and actually really like the quick change bushings. Armanov has great customer service so I imagine if there are any problems down the road I am sure they will stand behind their product.

Keep us posted.  I'm interested in how it works out.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How has the toolhead been treating you?

Has anyone else bought this and the quick change system?

On 1/26/2022 at 5:41 PM, jubi351 said:

New toolhead installed, got all the dies set and now swapping from processing to production is a breeze. Very happy with the fitment, the only issue is I wish they had used 5k LEDs as it appears they went with 3.5k for the lighting. Time will tell how durable it will be.

PXL_20220126_185605743.jpg

No real issues. I have noticed that there is an ever so slight movement of the quick change bushing(up and down) which I also observed in the Hornady press. For that reason I would see a bit more variation of COAL than I would like. I am loading for major now and want to hold my ammo to a higher tolerance so have made this my processing tool head.

I now have a minor tool head(Dillon), major tool head(CNC) and a processing tool head(Armanov).