Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Insight on New 2011 9mm Minor Build

chowellacsbd

1 minute ago, zzt said:

Yes, full Government stroke is a game changer on a shorty.  I wonder if they are stroking it.  You may find you have to shorten the frame rails to get a full stroke.  The only other thing I'd worry about is balance.  Since you plan to use the Cheely heavy long wide frame, that might not be a problem.

If you are willing to make the necessary mods, go for it.  Personally, I'll stick with 5 inchers.  They come out perfectly balanced, for me, and I use less powder and get less muzzle blast.  Good luck with your build.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3539190616207845

4 minutes ago, zzt said:

Yes, full Government stroke is a game changer on a shorty.  I wonder if they are stroking it.  You may find you have to shorten the frame rails to get a full stroke.  The only other thing I'd worry about is balance.  Since you plan to use the Cheely heavy long wide frame, that might not be a problem.

If you are willing to make the necessary mods, go for it.  Personally, I'll stick with 5 inchers.  They come out perfectly balanced, for me, and I use less powder and get less muzzle blast.  Good luck with your build.

Thanks!

It's simpy a govt slide chopped down to 4.25 to run on a standard full size frame instead of a dedicated commander length frame.

Option 1 is probably your best bet.  As others have said, having a slide-mounted dot on a minor gun is perfectly fine, and you could even run it in 3gun if you ever decide to try that out.  One other thing you might consider is going with an aluminum grip instead of steel.  All of the guns you've configured will be quite heavy, and in a game like SC where you're more concerned with transition speed than anything else, having an aluminum grip will allow you to swing the gun just a bit faster.  Just something to think about.

2 minutes ago, UpYoursPal said:

Option 1 is probably your best bet.  As others have said, having a slide-mounted dot on a minor gun is perfectly fine, and you could even run it in 3gun if you ever decide to try that out.  One other thing you might consider is going with an aluminum grip instead of steel.  All of the guns you've configured will be quite heavy, and in a game like SC where you're more concerned with transition speed than anything else, having an aluminum grip will allow you to swing the gun just a bit faster.  Just something to think about.

Thanks David!

Govt or cmdr though...?

3 minutes ago, UpYoursPal said:

Screen-Shot-2021-11-17-at-1_37.49-PM.thumb.jpg.30aec9dac3cfbdc1ae5c0d71411494a8.thumb.jpg.49dd318b5e621eca8aa58d9896102655.jpgScreen-Shot-2021-11-17-at-1_37.44-PM.thumb.jpg.73c1f88837ba05e58c116add2e0f9cd8.thumb.jpg.db03bb425cd314e4cfe6701e3d89c2e6.jpg

You know, some of the logic here baffles me.  Go with a Commander slide.  It will cycle faster.  Then mount a red dot on the slide.  Why?  You just added 2 oz. to the reciprocating mass.  How is that going to make it cycle faster?  It won't.

The reason you lighten a slide is to reduce reciprocating mass.  That has beneficial effects.  If you add weight you negate those effects.   Mounting a red dot on the slide using a mounting plate adds more weight that was removed by the milling.  I'm not against slide mounted dots.  I have five of them.

Now, Open pistols for steel challenge and outlaw matches:  All of my Open guns have lightened slides.  All wear frame mounted dots, because I don't want to add any weight to the slide.  I don't even have slide rackers on them, because they add weight.  Why?  I'm faster with them that way.  I shot Steel Challenge for years with my Limited gun and a dovetail mounted red dot.  When I switched to a frame mount my times improved.  That remains the case.  I am measurably faster with any of the frame mounted dots than I am with any of the slide mounted dots.  It works for me.

The only reason I would go for option 1 is if the OP says he wants to shoot it as Carry Optics in USPSA.  He says he doesn't.

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2021 at 9:16 AM, chowellacsbd said:

More importanly though, whats everyones thoughts on frame-mounted versus slide mounted? Most likely be running an RMR (1 or 3.5 moa). Cheely tacrail as well.

Frame mounted, its going to be more stable and less consequently less abuse on the rds.