Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated vs coated (if the same price)

Nor-cal_Shooter

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 6:12 PM, Nor-cal_Shooter said:

I’ve read every “coated vs plated” thread on this forum and lotta people seem to favor coated. But one of the main reasons is price. But what if they were the same price? Would the coated bullets be as good, if they weren’t the cheapest?

So if they were priced at the same cheap price, which one would you use? Why would you use that one over the other?

For me, plated simply because the coated i've tried are not consistent enough for my bullet feeder and it drove me farking nuts!!

7 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

For me, plated simply because the coated i've tried are not consistent enough for my bullet feeder and it drove me farking nuts!!

Sell yours and get a Mr. Bulletfeeder.  It will feed anything, including oversized coated and lubed lead.  Lubed lead is going to make a big mess, so you have to clean very often.  I mainly use JHPs and plated.  The only reason I use poly coated at all is my home club does not permit jacketed or plated on steel.

i have never had a problem with coated bullets, in any gun or caliber. i have had significant problems (tumbling) with multiple brands of plated bullets, but only in 1911/2011. the same exact loads ran perfectly in cz pistols. your experience may differ, but i stick to coated for 9 and 40. my 45s don’t care which.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Then I think it just a matter of adjustment.  Mine even feeds those horrible coated J-Ames bullets.

There is a limited amount of adjustment with the little black shims.  I wouldn't alway drop them bottom down with the BBI 147s.  

40 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

There is a limited amount of adjustment with the little black shims.  I wouldn't alway drop them bottom down with the BBI 147s.  

The same shim stack seems to work for all bullet shapes and weights I've tried in 9mm.  It was the in/out arm adjustment that cured that problem for me.  Some ogive shapes require more 'out' than others.  I watch the bullets being oriented and adjust the arm out until they all line up bottom down.  I will note that some brands of cast bullets are so inconsistent in shape it is hard to find the correct setting.