Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dune 2021

427Cobra

I have read the book, watched the 1984 version countless times, so when the new version was finally released on HBO Max I was eager to see it.  

***Spoiler***

I had no idea this was part 1, so part 2 and possibly part 3 are coming.

Gotta admit, I was really impressed. Despite the flaws I do have a deep love for the '84 version, and I lost track of how many times I read the original books, plus the new ones that Brian Herbert & KJA wrote. To see the universe created getting such a faithful treatment is amazing. 

13 hours ago, Hdiamond said:

Despite the flaws I do have a deep love for the '84 version, 

The 84 version is the only movie I have ever walked out of, I am cheap and I really have to hate something bad not to suffer through until the end. I will say that it was not as painful for me as "The English Patient" though, which many enjoyed. 

Hoping the new one is completely a different experience, loved all of the Frank Herbert Dune books and liked some of the newer ones.

43 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Hoping the new one is completely a different experience

Although I like it, I felt the 84 version was really, really slow.  I hear this one is even slower and 2 hours and 40 minutes.  For this reason I will be watching from home.  

I am also not a part of any cults, so..........

Edited by Boomstick303

• 2 weeks later...

Read all the books as well, movie is as good as you will get given that much of the book (Dune) is filled with inner dialog and introspection that does not translate well to the screen.

Visually stunning, matching much of my mental picture from the book.  Architecture didn't fit, but a minor quibble.  Thought Jessica was portrayed as weaker than what she was in the books, but we'll see if/when part 2 gets made.

To me, the 1984 version was very much a comic book adaptation where the 2021 version was a much more serious take.  But both left out so much, it was interesting to see the things each kept that that the other left out....... like the pustoles on Baron Harokken.