Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gear Opinions?

Stubbie686

Hey all,

I'm a noob to all this, but am excited about getting involved in some competitive shooting! I've got a stock 1911 that I plan on playing with in the new provisional division. Orderd up 4 Wilson Combat 8 rounders from Brian earlier this week, now I need some gear to put it all in.

I'm a big believer in getting opinon before laying out the hard cash, and was hoping to get some help from all those here that have 'been there, done that' ;)

So...with a moderate budget in mind, what would you all recommend for a holster, mag holsters for the 1911 in the new SS divsion?

Thanks!

Stubbie

I might add taking a look at the bladetech DOH for a holster. You might end up there anyway. It's a great holster for this stuff. I agree with the Safariland mag carriers and CR belt. Good stuff for sure.

Edited by Bryan W

Order 4 more mags first. If you plan on only using the 4 you have (1 in the gun and 3 on your belt) you will be at slide lock and have targets with no holes.

You might want to look at the comp-tac belt fed that has four staggered mag holders together, or the blade-tech that has four together and get two of them.

There will be lots and lots of times that you will be shooting 6 or 8 rounds and dropping mags and reloading. The more you can get around your waist and the closer to your center line will be the very important.

Cr speed belt, keeps the holster and mag holders in the same spot, match after match.

Blade tech holster

Safariland mag holders

At least 6 mags, 4 on belt, 1 in gun, 1 in pocket

From what I can tell of the rules...all gear has to be of the type for 'all day carry' Would I still be within the rules with all these suggested?

Looks like CR and Safariland win out! There is a gun show in town today...I'm hoping a few of these items are there. Is the only difference between the 771 and the 773 the adjustablility, and is that a down side?

Looks like I need at least one more mag too (I've got 5 now) One of the first thoughts through my head at the first event I went to was...Man, I am gonna spend a LOT of money. ;)

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far!

All the above.....but if you want to go cheap Uncle Mikes can't be beat.

A gun show is where I picked up my first setup from a leather dealer...Double layer gun belt, mag pouches, and holster for 125.

Kydex is great but if you have a purdy gun it might leave a few scuffs.

Setup on a good leather gun belt is nice, since you can wear it at other times, or all the time (read..hard to forget going to a match)?!?!

Brian carries the Safariland product line - yes on this forum. A comment on the IDPA stuff. If you get the CR Speed belt which is very popular you can wear the inner and out belt for USPSA but in IDPA you will have to wear just one of the belts since and inner and outer is not legal in that game. Some just wear the inner. For my particular holster, a Comp-Tac Locking paddle a Wilderness CSM (Competition Shooters Model) works better for me than the CR Speed. I have the CR Speed and never wear it and much prefer the Wilderness, but the CR Speed is very popular.

If you can get a copy of Front Sight the USPSA publication there is an equipment survey in this month's magazine that you might find helpful. There is also an equipment survey in this month's Tactical Journal the IDPA publication.

Off hand I remember that Comp-Tac, Bladetech and Tactical Response were the most popular holsters for IDPA and Safariland and Ghost (Rescomp/CR Speed) were the most popular for Limited holsters in USPSA.

Have fun with your search,

Rick

Off hand I remember that Comp-Tac, Bladetech and Tactical Response were the most popular holsters for IDPA and Safariland and Ghost (Rescomp/CR Speed) were the most popular for Limited holsters in USPSA.

Rick, note he is asking about the provisional single stack division and the rules say:

Competition holsters of the race gun type specifically not allowed. For clarification, all retention features of the holster must be used. All holsters must fully cover the trigger when the pistol is holstered. The front of the holster may be cut no lower than ¼ inch below the ejection port.
(i.e. no Ghost, no CR, etc.) Edited by GuildSF4

A lot of options out there safariland 560, thought not as fancy as some is just fine. as is Uncle Mikes(not IDPA legal)

shooting the SS division i would DEFINILTEY play in IDPA too. just because the gear is soo similar. so with that i would probabally do the safariland or a ready tactical holster (www.pistolpacking.com) i really like the mag pouches from there to, i'm sure if you buy 3 or 4 mag pouches with a holster he will cut you a little bit of a deal. ( i am not paid by them just a happy customer)

Get the extra Wilson magazines

Get the Uncle Mike's Kydex or some other basic holster that will fulfill the fundamental requirements (i.e., strong side with trigger covered) to play the game

Get the most basic of mag holders

Go to a match or two and ask a lot of questions before sinking lot more $$$s on gear

Spend more on ammo or apply it to reloading gear

Get the extra Wilson magazines

Get the Uncle Mike's Kydex or some other basic holster that will fulfill the fundamental requirements (i.e., strong side with trigger covered) to play the game

Get the most basic of mag holders

Go to a match or two and ask a lot of questions before sinking lot more $$$s on gear

Spend more on ammo or apply it to reloading gear

All previous answers are very good advise...I like Wide's way of thinking. The setup he describes is inexpensive (note I did not say cheap) and still fast and more than adequate to play competitively. It will get you going and stay competitive until you move up several levels. Saves you bunches of $$$ that can be applied to other -more important - things. Ammo ammo ammo etc...

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. I finally bought the Blade-Tech combo pack (holster and double mag holder w/tech-loc) and two additional double mag holders. 70 bucks for all of it didn't hurt the wallet too bad. ;) Gonna hold off on the CR Speed belt for right now, but that one is defintely a future purchase.

Shot a couple of competitions over the weekend...I'm hooked!

Thanks again,

-Stubbie