Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Get Out Of Racing And Do More Shooting Or Do Both?

I was shooting a lot up until this year when I got into Kart Racing. When I started racing I had to cut WAY back on my shooting because of time issues and money. Kart racing is a major blast but the expense is rediculous. A typical race day will cost $100 for race fee, $30 gas, $200 tires, $5 oil, $40 misc. parts (chains, gears). So for one day you're looking at at least $350 per race if you don't break anything. However, we all know things constantly break. This cost doesn't include the $15,000 in other supplies like the kart, trailer, tools, safety gear etc. The racing season ended last month and all of a sudden I notice how much time and money I have which is great and how I'm getting back into shooting full speed ahead.

The question I have is should I sell the karting stuff and make the wife happy thus allowing me to build an SV Race gun and some more shooting gear. Or, should I just keep the kart, race less frequently next year and try to shoot on occasion? I love both hobbies as each has it's pros and cons. The cons mostly with racing are cost and danger. I already broke my ribs racing this year which wasn't fun. Who would have thought that racing a go kart would be more dangerous than running around with guns shooting things. HEHE

Pete

Edited by PistolPete

For some reason this reminds me of the bank robber they caught in Dallas several years back (he shot himself in the head when confronted) who had robbed about 40+banks. He had no money when they went through his stuff and accounts. He had the racing habit... ;)

It's sad but true!!! I've always wanted to get into racing but cost has kept me out of it. Now I finally have the privilege of doing it and it is SO much fun but again the cost is just out of control. I'm looking at what I spend to race and what I get out of it and I'm trying to justify the return on investment. Shooting is SO much less expensive. It's tons of fun, not as heart pounding as racing though but the return on investment is really high. Plus, I live 2 hours away from the track so that makes things difficult and the track is only open for races and practice on certain days so I can't just wake up in the morning and decide to go to the track. It all has to be planned. Then you plan it and it decides to rain out. HMMMMMMM

Edited by PistolPete

Ummmm...for what you will get out of selling the Kart stuff you can build a full set of S_I race guns (limited and open), buy a high end custom revo and tweak the heck out of a production blaster so that you are covered from top to bottom. Toss in an Open or Limited Shotgun and Rifle for 3-Gun, a nice rifle for MOR, good glass, etc.

But life is short. Have fun, play hard.

If it was me I would get out of Kart, buy a new blaster and take the wife on a nice cruise.

And if she ever bitches about the money you are spending on shooting just remind her of Kart racing. :)

I was kind of thinking that. I currently have an SVI double stack .40 limited gun that is awesome and I thought it could use a brother. HEHE I would get an open SVI prob. in .38 super and some other goodies. I'm still on the fence and need to think about it. I absolutely LOVE racing as it was hands down the most fun thing I have ever done BUT the expense and time involved is out of control. After selling all my kart stuff I would have several thousands of dollars that I could buy a new gun or 3 and save the rest of it. Plus, come April I'll have all that extra money that I'm not spending on racing. The tough part is that racing is just so much fun!!! The other problem with racing is that my brother is getting out of it so I'll have to buy his 1/2 of the trailer from him and now my expenses will go up because we went 1/2 on parts and things.

I think most of us have had this problem at one time or other...in my case it was continue to play golf on a serious amateur level or continue shooting...I was not financially able to do both and not athletically endowed enough to be good at golf if I did not play/practice almost all the time...

Why not find a way to cash out of racing, buy your wife an open blaster in 9mm and get her into shooting with you...and take her on the cruise..you both win... :P

I feel your pain brother.

Seems every couple years I have a new hobby and the wife is pissed I am spending money doing it.

First My truck and the sand dunes sand dragging ect,Then a Nos kit and so asphalt drag racing.Radio controlled car racing

But I always enjoyed shooting it so relaxing to spend a couple hour and tune some nice reloads and am competitive at it.I played drag racing many a times but cutting good light is a real pain.

Always kinda wanted to kart or build a dirt car but lots of money and maintenance. For a few laps of joy.

I enjoy cleaning my Blasters and making bullets.Feeling competitive is the key.

I fix cars for a living so my own a low on the agenda list.

I hope some of that makes sense and helps you with you decision.

Why not find a way to cash out of racing, buy your wife an open blaster in 9mm and get her into shooting with you...and take her on the cruise..you both win... :P

And don't forget to buy "her" a new 1050 to make ammo for the guns.

And don't forget to buy "her" a new 1050 to make ammo for the guns.

Sell the kart stuff. Your costs are going to be doubled. One of your reasons (doing something with your brother) is out the window.

Use the money to get back into shooting. While you are at it get the wife a gun or two and get her started up in it with you (if not already) as we can always use more women in the sport. The 1050 is a nice touch as well.

Steven

Edited by standles

What are they telling you on the karting forum?

Funny that you ask this because I have yet to post it. I know posting it will get a lot of response. I'll post a link when the results start coming in.

As for the wife, she lets me do whatever I want. I wanted a snowmobile so I bought one over the summer. I tried to get her involved with it and convinced her to let me get a 2nd sled so we can go riding together. With Karting she was never crazy about it but she let me do it. She hated the amount of money I had to spend to race and was always nervous when I went and she even let me use her SUV to pull my trailer.

Then, with shooting she comes with me from time to time. I bought her a little Walther P22 which jams all the time. So, I'm just going to get her the Marvel conversion for a 1911 and she'll be much happier.

She knows if I sell the karting stuff that I'm using the money for a 2nd SV and some other goodies. I guess I like the idea of having a ton of extra money around. Plus, with shooting you don't have to put it away in the winter.

Pete

I have known several guys who went broke racing...and none who have gone broke shooting. None were into karting, but, racing is just an expensive hobby no matter how you cut it...especially if you are trying to work a full-time job on the "side" of racing.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well.

I just got a ride in a friend of friend's 125cc TAG kart. It was friggin' awesome. Funny thing is, the friend was big into IPSC and has now scaled back on IPSC a whole lot to focus on karting.

I'm on the bubble...I want to do IPSC, but the attraction of racing is powerful...

Out of curiosity, what kart are you running and how much are you willing to let stuff go for?

Does anyone know how to make a small fortune racing?????????

Start with a BIG one :D;):P

I was there, and did it!!!!!!!! After lots & lots $ with lots of zeros. Now I have lots memories, and a track championship trophy & ring!! :D

Would I do it again? HELL YES !!!!!!!! Motor sports is a buissness,and you do it out of someone elses WALLET!!!! not family money, this makes wife happy :D

GOOD LUCK

P.S. Hard work = Good luck

Thanks for everyones advice. Racing is an extremely expensive sport and is so much fun.

mpolans- I race a Rotax 125 cc. TAG (Touch And Go-electric start) Kart. The thing is insane as far as acceleration and the handling is better than any car on the road. I actually broke my rib this year racing and not because I crashed but because the massive amounts of G's sustained in the kart because of the high levels of grip. The rush that you get when racing cannot be explained in words. However, at the end of the day there is no money left for other hobbies.

I'm still on the fence about selling out. I think the only real reason I would do so would be for money reasons.

Pete

Actually here is what I race:

trailer.jpg

Seat004.jpg

and the track I race at:

f1outdoorsNew001.jpg

I think we need to find a way for the poor guy to do both. Why make him choose between two things he loves?

How 'bout the NASCAR Winchester Cup, Live Ammo Series? We could put IPSC targets at various points along the track. How slow do you have to go to get all Alphas?

Better yet, have the Department of Corrections cut a deal with ESPN to let death row inmates have a demolition derby with live ammo. The winner's sentence gets commuted to life.

Car Wars, anyone?

I don't know what to tell you. I'd just make sure that whatever I went with that my family could be involved. Have to hand it to the Karting forum guys though...I figured they'd all be bashing shooting after reading their posts they seem like a really good bunch.