Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

biggest 1911 mag release?

Hi,

I put the Armanov Spidergo grips on my single stack and even with XL hands, I can't reach the mag release without adjusting my grip.  I need an extended mag release with a button that reaches back towards the backstrap.  I'm not seeing many options.  From pictures on the internet, the rectangular one from Wilson Combat seems ideal, but I can't really tell.  I'm not sure if there are any significant differences between the options out there.  I'm not worried about table starts, I only care about easily hitting the release without adjusting my grip.  Those Spidergo grips don't let you move your hand around easily.  

There use to be a bunch of options on the Dawson website with that type. Just be careful that it doesn't cut into your weak palm hand or have your weak hand palm drop the mag. 

The Dawson Mo Lo Pro had a button area about the size of a nickel.  The idea was you'd grind it down to the shape you wanted. 

IDK if they still make it but there might be some around.

Here's an embarrassing story:  I successfully drilled for the button, then it went downhill from there.  Me being a total 1911 noob in a hurry,  I saw that flathead screw head on the backside of the mag catch and, of course, I assumed that it was an actual screw I should remove to get the catch out.  I cranked on the screw head to release the loctite I was imagining, and I must have bent/twisted the hell out of the mag catch lock.  It totally locked up the mag catch, it wouldn't move in or out.  So, I had to drill out the lock and my factory mag catch is a total loss. 

I bought the Wilson with the big checkered button, and it's a beautiful part.  But they don't ship with a mag catch lock or spring!!! Why on earth would someone want to buy that tiny thing separate is beyond me. It's like selling car wheels without the valve stems, and selling them separate.  The world of 1911s is interesting. They are fun to dump money into.  Every last tiny part can be customized with many finely made options.  Yet they still don't have the ergonomics or reliability of a CZ.     

• 3 months later...

get rid of the spiderco grips. THAT is your problem,,,  learn to reload with heal of left hand, or strong thumb on a standard or basic extended mag release. even then if you go larger button or extended should have a stronger spring.
There is a reason Gwiz doodad mag releases arnt common...,,,, you will drop loaded mags in the dirt when you bump them while shooting.

The Wilson Combat #405 Mag Catch is pretty freakin' huge.  It sticks out a lot, plus extends back so that your thumb doesn't have to reach so far.  The CR Speed RHT "Snake Skin" button extends back but doesn't stick out as far.