Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open holster advice needed

Hi, new to the forum and happy to be here!  I am building an open gun based on a dan wesson 1911 frame and I am looking into open holsters and zeroing in on the double alpha x racer. If I go w the x racer, would I need the thigh pad? ShallI choose the DA Race Master instead? Or should I look into a different brand altogether? Never had one, never tried one.  Thanks much.

The DAA Alpha-X WITH thigh pad is a great holster IF you can get a locking block that works flawlessly with your receiver.  Chances are you will settle for something close, then shape the locking block to fit your trigger guard.

I'm a big fan of the Safariland 015 

Super adjustable and solid 

I'd recommend trying some different ones  out at a local match if possible 

Edited by warpspeed

I'd say the 015 from safariland is the one to beat right now but I'm almost 100% sure a 1911 isnt going to lock into it. You will probably be best off to get the DAA alpha x and the 1911 insert. It's a good holster. 

But why a 1911 open gun?

13 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

But why a 1911 open gun?

Why not?  I built one specifically for SCSA.  That way the 2011s can be set up for Open major only, and the 1911 for minor.  2011 Open guns live longer if you don't spring them for both major and minor.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:18 PM, tomjerry1 said:

Is the trigger guard rounded or square. If round, a Para block, if square, a Caspian block. Double stack?

Caspian trigger guards are quite thin.  If you try to put a square 1911 guard in the Caspian block you will have to open it up.

The problem I found with any of the 1911 models of any of the trigger guard grip holsters, is the trigger guards from different manufactures is different. I had 3 different holsters (JR holsters) (DAA) (Hoeppener & Schuman similar to the JR) and none of them fitted all the guns correctly, all held the gun but wobbled like a bowl of jello and was too much for me so I went back to the bucket holsters.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, If you get any of the race holsters I would consider the muzzle support for a 1911 framed pistol for USPSA matches. It just adds a little more security if you are new to race holsters. The holster I have found that works the best for me is the Safariland 015. I have the 014's and they work very well also. I made a kydex holster for my open pistols and it is just a little slower but way more secure so you may want to look into that also if you are doing a slide mounted optic. Thanks, Eric

Like some have added, I too like the CR Speed style. Just feels more secure when I am taping, scoring, RO'ing or running around. The block types are good too. I like dropping the muzzle/comp on the Pin and rocking the gun back into lock. Can actually hear it snap into place. Takes some adjusting but it is rock solid, held by the comp and trigger. I actually have the *bay knock off as a backup. 🤫