Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Shadow 2 Orange Upgrades

jasmap

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Any idea how many rounds/dry fires that spring is good for in the sp01? 

Which one ? But anyway the recoil spring and TRS have 6kish live rounds on them and the 11.5# mainspring probably has 3-4k I switched to it about halfway through the season. Then  dryfire I wouldn't say alot but regularly avg of 3-4 days a week 15 mins for the year. The gun has total close to 7k rounds on it which I think has just broken it in. I plan to replace recoil spring and TRS before next season which is probably not needed but springs are cheap so I'm gonna replace them and may go ahead and get a new mainspring also if I don't switch to the 8.5# 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a few thousand rounds in another Shadow 2 with the 8.5# hammer spring.  No problem so far.  With the primer shortage I haven't been shooting as much as I'd like to.  I'll just have to wait and see if and when it breaks.

5 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Was wondering how many trigger pulls the lightest hammer spring is good for before it gets weak enough to cause light strikes. 

Oh ok yeah I just switched to it so I'm not sure but I'd be interested in the answer also

I've never seen a hammer spring really lose power, at least not after the initial set. I've got main springs in guns that have had hundreds of thousands of rounds through them and they still weigh out as expected. 

51 minutes ago, slavex said:

I've never seen a hammer spring really lose power, at least not after the initial set. I've got main springs in guns that have had hundreds of thousands of rounds through them and they still weigh out as expected. 

My Tanfo production guns are good for about 10,000 trigger pulls before the lightest weight hammer spring stops reliably lighting off deep seated federal primers.  CZ is a different animal though, so I was curious. 

@IHAVEGAS yeah I can see the Tanfo ones doing that, being so much shorter and such.

That said, talking to guys who make springs for industrial equipment, I get weird looks from them when I tell them gun springs wear out, especially mag springs. Universally they tell me that gun springs must be junk. Even a high use gun, say 250k live fire and similar dry fire, shouldn't see a spring even come close to wearing out. Goes for mag springs and recoil too. Yet, we all know they do wear out and die. 

2 hours ago, slavex said:

@IHAVEGAS yeah I can see the Tanfo ones doing that, being so much shorter and such.

That said, talking to guys who make springs for industrial equipment, I get weird looks from them when I tell them gun springs wear out, especially mag springs. Universally they tell me that gun springs must be junk. Even a high use gun, say 250k live fire and similar dry fire, shouldn't see a spring even come close to wearing out. Goes for mag springs and recoil too. Yet, we all know they do wear out and die. 

I'm gonna bet that the majority of OEM firearm springs are plain carbon steel (AISI 107X series).  Most high quality/aftermarket springs are music wire, and for heavier loads/higher temps chrome-silicon or Cr-Si-vanadium steels.

I don't know why magazine springs take such large sets, must be s#!tty wire they're made of.  I bought some ETS brand 22 round Glock mags once and the springs lost so much temper that they were useless after about a month of moderate use.

On 10/30/2021 at 6:06 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

Was wondering how many trigger pulls the lightest hammer spring is good for before it gets weak enough to cause light strikes. 

Both are used for competition and dry fire so maybe 10k+.  Not really sure as both are several years old.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone recommended using the extended firing pin with the 8.5# hammer spring.  So, that's what I've done in every case.  I have that combination in four firearms and haven't had any issues so far.  Knock on wood and keep my fingers crossed.

Someone recommended using the extended firing pin with the 8.5# hammer spring.  So, that's what I've done in every case.  I have that combination in four firearms and haven't had any issues so far.  Knock on wood and keep my fingers crossed.

Sorry, finger bounce caused double post.

Edited by Almo
Double post

On 11/15/2021 at 6:23 PM, Almo said:

Sorry, finger bounce caused double post.

and is it working with all primers or only federals? 8,5 is really low

I've had no issues with my old Cajun 8.5 but I've long since switched to ipsc4you's 9lb main and recoil, along with their super light firing pin spring. But regardless of the route you go, you need that super light firing pin spring to make the systems work. I just replaced a cut firing pin spring in a students gun (worked on by someone else previously) on Saturday night, he went from failures to fire every 4 or 5 rounds to none with just that one spring change. Shooting Winchester duty SXTs, Winchester white box and some, ugg, Maxtech (is that spelled right?) steel case garbage. 

On 11/15/2021 at 11:23 AM, Almo said:

Same set up. I never had issues either until I dropped a CZ during the draw (came forward with it before if was vertically clear of the holster), based upon the bullet impact mark between my feet the gun landed muzzle first. For what it is worth, not telling anybody else what to do just noting that with my kaboom and another kaboom noted on this forum somewhere and the r.o. fatality from a dropped gun I have become cautious. 

From Cajun Gun Works website "As with any competition grade non-firing pin block firing pin, it is not recommended to carry your CZ with a live round loaded in the chamber.". I do not see any similar verbiage on CZ Custom's website. 

To each their own, but personally I'm looking to get away from both or either extended fp and light fp spring in non FPB equipped CZ's. With federal primers I'm thinking that you can still get a reasonable weight double action and are not likely to even notice the increase in single action pull weight. Another FWIW, one of my CZ's was left oem on the firing controls except for a reduced weight hammer spring, it is 7# d.a., during a match I don't notice the difference except for that rare stage where the first shot must be a very difficult shot, I haven't attempted to reduce hammer spring weight further yet. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

48 minutes ago, Almo said:

I might experiment with the stock firing pin and see what I get. 

If you do the results would be interesting. It would be nice if we can quantify/share experience with how much the longer pin and lighter spring actually gets you in reduced pull weight. 

It might be a little while before I can experiment with the stock firing pin and the 8.5 lb hammer spring.  But I do have data with a 10 lb hammer spring vs. the 8.5 lb one.  The difference in single action pull was 1 oz in one gun and 3 oz in another.  Not much.  But the difference in double action pull was significantly higher.  It was 1 lb 10 oz in one gun and 2 lb in the other.

Y'all need to spend more time with revolvers😆

I had some intermittent light strikes with the 11.5 and switched over to the cgw 13lb+factory FP with rami spring and found it was still manageable. DA went from 6.5-8ish, SA actually dropped a pound. Can't tell the difference in a match, gun goes bang, and I don't worry about canoeing the RO.

13 hours ago, Artemas said:

Y'all need to spend more time with revolvers😆

I had some intermittent light strikes with the 11.5 and switched over to the cgw 13lb+factory FP with rami spring and found it was still manageable. DA went from 6.5-8ish, SA actually dropped a pound. Can't tell the difference in a match, gun goes bang, and I don't worry about canoeing the RO.

Don't most revolver shooters tune for weights around 5.5- 6#? In general I agree with you but on that rare start with a very difficult target or one hand only classifier 8# is a problem for me.  

On 11/20/2021 at 9:07 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

Don't most revolver shooters tune for weights around 5.5- 6#? In general I agree with you but on that rare start with a very difficult target or one hand only classifier 8# is a problem for me.  

never actually met one in the wild before😆

I do like to put in the factory mainspring on occasion to work a few days of dry fire with it and even a range trip every now and again. Set up some challenging drills  and just work it a bit before going back to the the 13# or whatever. Think of it like resistance training.

Edited by Artemas