Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger overtravel adjustment

jstagn

Friend asked me this question did not know answer. What is the effect of too much overtravel on a 2011 open gun with a sub 2 lb. trigger?  Any mechanical issues? Thanks 

Edited by jstagn
Spell

It would have to be well outside of spec, but the disconnector CAN get pushed back to such an angle that it binds in its passageway.

A little too much overtravel usually just causes a bit of a shake in the sights when the trigger breaks, resistance goes down to a pound or so, then the trigger suddenly slams to a stop at the end of its travel.  A shooting problem, not a mechanical problem.

Edited by Braxton1

Thanks Bene, was told that by another that was having hammer follow, backed off overtravel quite of bit, no more hammer follow so far, he is going to do more testing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Guys - new here.  new to 2011 as well.  many years w various 1911

I have a Staccato P and want to replace the stock polymer curved trigger with an Atlas Vario flat medium

I have disassembled the frame and installed (dropped in) the Atlas trigger.  Adjusted overtravel screw all way in = no bang

adjust screw out 1/4 turn at go until hammer falls - problem is the hammer doesnt consistently fall and when does it is delayed slightly.

Obviously, this gun isnt a glock and not meant for drop in parts. I dont know what I am doing.  Thoughts?

7 hours ago, LittleMagic said:

Guys - new here.  new to 2011 as well.  many years w various 1911

I have a Staccato P and want to replace the stock polymer curved trigger with an Atlas Vario flat medium

I have disassembled the frame and installed (dropped in) the Atlas trigger.  Adjusted overtravel screw all way in = no bang

adjust screw out 1/4 turn at go until hammer falls - problem is the hammer doesnt consistently fall and when does it is delayed slightly.

Obviously, this gun isnt a glock and not meant for drop in parts. I dont know what I am doing.  Thoughts?

Go 1/4 turn more. You need some clearance to assure the hammer totally misses the sear. If it nick’s it you’ll soon cause more problems than the little bit of extra over travel. Also if it’s too close you may get failure’s during temperature changes. 

Yeah, trying to go too tight on overtravel is a recipe for disaster.  You want a little play.  I usually set them such that with the hammer down I can just feel the second leg of the sear spring pick up.  That's fairly loose but for a trigger-slapper like me, gives the bullet a head start out of the barrel before the trigger stops hard.

• 1 month later...