Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultrasonic Cleaner

mniels

I have the model that Unique Tek sells. It is made by Sharper Tek. 6.1 L, with 3 transducers @ 180 W, 600 W heater. Heats pretty fast. According to Sharper Tek, it is made in USA, using some foreign made parts. I originally got it for cleaning small parts in the shop, but added the gun cleaning kit that was available for it, which included an oil bath tray, special oil and solvent. A mid priced unit. Can handle two stripped down 1911's. And probably squeeze a 6" revolver in there by itself.

Do your research on what type of solvents to use, and how long to leave the gun in there. I have a bunch of different specialized solvents, but for many situations, Dawn dish detergent cleans pretty well, is cheap, and is safe for finishes. Safe to dispose of also.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an ionbonded Schuemann 6" Tribrid barrel that has taken several ultrasonic baths in Lucas Extreme Duty Cleanere, heated. No effect on the Diamond Black finish from 2005. Looks like new.

On 5/24/2021 at 8:26 AM, RePete said:

I use an older Hornady US clear (metal case) for 10 years and still working fine.

Good quality and not breaking the bank don't seem to go together when it comes to US cleaners.

From all that I have read, the cheap ones calve in 2-5 years and most of the goods one damn near need a second mortgage.

I must change what I said in the above post.

The Hornady died on the 03 June, I was urinated off.  Hornady have 3, 2 of which are too small (smaller than the old unit) and a larger one that will take a 16" AR upper, nice but too large for me.

I ended up getting a Lyman TurboSonic 6000.  So far it works well.

On 5/24/2021 at 10:35 AM, mniels said:

I use mine to clean the comp on my .22 steel challenge gun every time I clean the gun. After I spray the inside of the comp with some welding anti splatter spray. That combined with about an hour in the ultrasonic cleaner is all I need to clean the comp. wipe out the inside with a q tip and I am done.

I have been using the Hornady ultrasonic gun parts cleaning solution, but I am about to switch over to the Lucas bore solvent because I have heard really good things about it. 

anti splatter spray......, i have heard non sticking cooking spray works as well, anyone have any experience?

5 hours ago, cnote said:

anti splatter spray......, i have heard non sticking cooking spray works as well, anyone have any experience?

I've only ever used the welding spray, so I cannot speak to the cooking spray.  Presumably, it is manufactured to withstand a decent amount of heat, but I don't think you are going to save any money by using it instead.  For the record, this is the stuff I use.  It is $9 a can and I am not even close to it being empty.  A little bit goes a long way.

Also, following up about the Lucas Oil Bore Solvent....the stuff is pretty amazing.  It does not need to be diluted, so you just dump it directly into your UC.  It is, however, expensive.  I have a smaller cleaner, it took 32oz to fill it up to the point where I normally do with water and the Hornady parts cleaner.  However, you do not dump it.  Apparently you can leave it in there for up to a year before you change the solution.  Just lift up the basket, drop in your parts, and go to town.  Just make sure that you run a de-gas cycle in between cleanings. 

I am also using it to clean by Volquartsen competition bolt for my 10/22 build.  I just run it for 30 minutes on a heated cycle, then pull it out and rinse it off.  Works great, and no more scraping crap off of your extractor!

On 6/13/2021 at 3:28 PM, RacerX1166 said:

Anyone put PVD coated parts in their cleaner?  My Open gun is ionbond coated and I'd like to throw my barrel in my US cleaner.  I hate cleaning comps.

I run straight Mpro 7 in my ultrasonic. Never had an issue, just dont use any heat and your good to go.

9 minutes ago, Johnnymazz said:

If you want a top of the line cleaner. Talk to Joe at Infante. I owned a Honady, no comparison, this larger tank will hold 3 gallons of liquid.

158105894_1881365168708231_2767247945478132604_n.jpg

Thank goodness I don't need a cleaner that big.  It would cost $270 to fill it with the Lucas bore solvent!  The solution will last a long time, but that is still a lot of scratch....

On 6/25/2021 at 9:01 PM, mniels said:

Thank goodness I don't need a cleaner that big.  It would cost $270 to fill it with the Lucas bore solvent!  The solution will last a long time, but that is still a lot of scratch....

LOL, I also have the smaller 1 gallon unit from Joe

206443402_503547404316872_1548879242779157918_n.jpg

On 6/25/2021 at 7:54 PM, Johnnymazz said:

I run straight Mpro 7 in my ultrasonic. Never had an issue, just dont use any heat and your good to go.

Gave it a try last week and it worked great (after the comp end of the barrel spending a night in a Hoppes bottle).  Only thing is my comp is nice and glossy and my slide, not so much.  Regardless, I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/21/2021 at 8:13 PM, mniels said:

I've only ever used the welding spray, so I cannot speak to the cooking spray.  Presumably, it is manufactured to withstand a decent amount of heat, but I don't think you are going to save any money by using it instead.  For the record, this is the stuff I use.  It is $9 a can and I am not even close to it being empty.  A little bit goes a long way.

Searched for welding anti splatter spray and found this at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Forney-37030-Welders-Spatter-16-Ounce/dp/B000TG60BI/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=anti+spatter&qid=1630439704&sr=8-4

Is this what you're using?