Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone make a perfectly squared off rear sight for a Gen 5 G34 MOS?

matto6

I bought some dawson sights for my Gen 5 G34, but they have rounded corners.  For some weird reason, my eyes pick up rear sights better if they are fully squared off, like this CZ Custom sight I have on my SP-01 Shadow.

Does anyone make a rear sight like this for a Glock?  I'm searching but failing to find anything

image.png.e9e4d8795cbd1d954aa5836ee87bfdae.png

I am running Dawson adjustable sights on my gen 5. The rear of the sight over hangs the slide but it works perfectly and gives me that same rear sight picture. Everyone says that the gen 3/4 sights don't fit the gen 5 slide but they do just with some overhang which after 10k rounds have proven stable and reliable on my gen 5.

20 hours ago, matto6 said:

I bought some dawson sights for my Gen 5 G34, but they have rounded corners.  For some weird reason, my eyes pick up rear sights better if they are fully squared off, like this CZ Custom sight I have on my SP-01 Shadow.

Does anyone make a rear sight like this for a Glock?  I'm searching but failing to find anything

Just remember, square corners are more likely to draw blood when you rake your hand over the rear sight when quickly clearing a jam.

12 minutes ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Just remember, square corners are more likely to draw blood when you rake your hand over the rear sight when quickly clearing a jam.

Good point.   But I don't mind some blood if it's for a good cause :D

I'll give the rounded dawsons a try and see if I can get good with them.   But I've been surprised how much those squared of edges seem to help me.  For slow firing it doesn't matter, but when I'm trying to aim quickly and the rear sight is out of focus, the outside corners give my eyes more signals to pick up on to perceive vertical position of the rear sight.    (I guess?  I'm making this up.  I just know I have a harder time aiming quickly and reliably without them.  There's something about them that seems to help - for my eyes and brain)

Edited by matto6

Rear sight?  Guns HAVE rear sights?  I am so LASER-FOCUSED on the front sight that I hadn't even noticed.....

🤪

Seriously though, Matt does make a good point.  It's all in what you're used to seeing.  Those of us who grew up on Bo-Mars (or Wichita PPC revolver sights) dig those big rear sights.  After shooting Glocks so long with either Trijicons or Glock OEM night sights, I gradually got away from needing to see that big rear blade.

10 minutes ago, Braxton1 said:

Seriously though, Matt does make a good point.  It's all in what you're used to seeing.  Those of us who grew up on Bo-Mars (or Wichita PPC revolver sights) dig those big rear sights.  After shooting Glocks so long with either Trijicons or Glock OEM night sights, I gradually got away from needing to see that big rear blade.

Good to know.  Maybe I just need to get used to it.

It does seem there's some fundamental value in having multiple points for your eye to subconsciously pick up on though.   Dunno.

At distance having the corners clipped off the rear sight is more helpful than you’d think at seeing the targets you’ll transition to next.

I hated this type of rear at first but grew to like them.

https://warrentactical.com/product/glock-warren-tactical-fiber-optic-set-plain-rear-sight-and-fiber-optic-front-sight/

(I haven’t shot Glock in a decade, but still prefer such rear sight profiles on the guns I’ve switched to.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Interesting.

I really dislike the rear sight on my shadow 2 and it's shaped kinda like that, with aggressively trimmed corners.   Maybe it's just something I need to learn to appreciate.  As my index gets better I won't need the rear sight as a crutch, and the improved visibility becomes a win.