Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Class USPSA in Magazine Restricted States

I live in New Jersey and have been shooting Open division with a compensated Glock 19 with a magwell and RMR for the past few years, just for fun. We went from 15 round magazine restrictions to 10 round magazine restrictions, and it seems like such a huge detriment to the shooters who are trying to rank at regionals and then nationals. Is Open just not feasible for shooters in those states? What's the thought process?

I know guys from Hawaii that come to the mainland to shoot the Area 2 championship. They generally do fine making the transition from O-10 to O-whatever. I have heard tales about an early reload on the first stage though 😉 

Yep the Hawaiian reload, shooter with a tan dumps a almost full 170 and watch in horror as it leaves the gun😂

we’ve been shooting open 10 since 94, locally it doesn’t make a difference because everyone shoots 10 round guns.

yes it sucks compared to the mainland, but everyone has the same restriction 

classifier stages, any with more than 11 scored rounds that don’t require a reload, takes a little more effort to get a M or GM score

18 hours ago, Kevrend said:

I live in New Jersey and have been shooting Open division with a compensated Glock 19 with a magwell and RMR for the past few years, just for fun. We went from 15 round magazine restrictions to 10 round magazine restrictions, and it seems like such a huge detriment to the shooters who are trying to rank at regionals and then nationals. Is Open just not feasible for shooters in those states? What's the thought process?

The last time I shot a match in New Jersey, I was the only person with equipment that even resembled legal.  Everyone was shooting Open and Limited, without regard to what the rules were.  Has that changed?

It's just the way it is up here.  I know a few guys who head over to Michigan (when one was allowed to do such things) with a dremel and rivet gun to open the mags up.  Coming back into Canada without the pop rivet in the right place could land you in serious trouble.

We prefer to head to NY as it's way closer so 10 here 10 there.  Just means I practice reloads a lot.  I am going from revo to open so I get a 2 more rounds or 3 after LAMR. 

1 hour ago, twodownzero said:

The last time I shot a match in New Jersey, I was the only person with equipment that even resembled legal.  Everyone was shooting Open and Limited, without regard to what the rules were.  Has that changed?

I was listening to a podcast from Stoeger a week or two back; I think it was an older one, but not sure how old.  He was talking about the 10 round restrictions and mentioned shooting a match in California and everyone just magically had full-capacity mags for Open.  

1 hour ago, Eric802 said:

I was listening to a podcast from Stoeger a week or two back; I think it was an older one, but not sure how old.  He was talking about the 10 round restrictions and mentioned shooting a match in California and everyone just magically had full-capacity mags for Open.  

At Area 1 a couple years ago, I squaded with an open shooter from CA and I asked him if he was 10 rounds at home. He gave me the “are you kidding?” Look. My impression is that they are “don’t ask, don’t tell “ down there. On the other hand, I met a shooter who moved from OR to Hawaii and left all his full-cap mags with a buddy here. He said even possession is big bad there and not worth the risk.

The good news is, a gun store in Hawaii occasionally posts full capacity brand new CZ mags on Gunbroker for a steal. They gotta unload 'em quick. I think I got 4 mags for like $50. Free shipping, too.

2 hours ago, Russty said:

The good news is, a gun store in Hawaii occasionally posts full capacity brand new CZ mags on Gunbroker for a steal. They gotta unload 'em quick. I think I got 4 mags for like $50. Free shipping, too.

I'd snatch them up if I knew where to look, but my CZ (paid in full in February) isn't showing up until some indeterminate time between June and August.

I see so many commie state shooters at my local match it’s probably over 50 percent of attendance. No one is running ten rounders outside of production. I see a lot of magazine assembly before the safety brief though. 

7 hours ago, Eric802 said:

The laws here a bit convoluted to say the least.

Use to be that if you owned them (  >10 rd mags )  before 2000 they were grandfathered in and you were GTG. 

Then the law changed and you couldn't even have grandfathered ones. Then the law was challenged and overturned for about a week IIRC so everyone went out and bought standard capacity mags like there was no tomorrow. The judge said hold up and put the law back in place ( no more buying and selling ) but exempted everyone who just bough the mags from it so possession is OK.

So yes, pretty much everyone who shoots open or limited has full capacity magazines.

• 1 month later...