Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon hacks-Indexer spring repair

I'll skip over the part where my XL650 stopped working and what it took to figure out that my indexer spring broke but it did and I finally did.

For those that aren't aware as I wasn't, the indexer spring is a long thing coiled spring that connects to the Ring Indexer, wraps around the mainshaft and connects to a pin on the underside of the main platform. This is the spring that returns the Ring Indexer back after each stroke.

For those of us that have tried to stretch a spring and connect between two posts there is a high potential for the spring to go "spruuuung" and never be seen again. Figured out a trick that I wanted to share in case anyone else ever has to make this repair.

Started with some dental floss and threaded through the ring end on one end of the spring and gave myself about 8" plus of double thread. Took the loose end of the floss and taped it to the main body of the press. Brought the ram all the way up, rotated the Indexer Ring to the left so could access the pin on the bottom. Now, wrapped the spring with the floss around the Mainshaft, hooked the ring on the pin and while holding the spring, grabbed the floss and pulled so the spring wrapped around the Mainshaft and helped position the spring in the groove while pulling. Used the floss to pull and guide the spring to the other pin under the main platform and just pushed the spring into place. Once in place pulled the end of the floss back out and done. Was shocked the the entire process took less than thirty seconds.

I broke my first one of those a couple of weeks ago on my XL650. Figured it out quickly, and I'd purchased the spare parts bag with my loader, so had a spare on hand. Called Dillon about it and they sent me a couple of more springs gratis, just got them on Tuesday. But good to know about this temp fix if ever needed. 

I debated going after warranty for the broken spring but I knew I wanted an extra so I just found the part number and ordered it online through Dillon. Bad news was $8.75 shipping for two springs.  I didn't want to take a chance of trying to mount the spring, have the thing launch into oblivion in my shop never to be seen again and have to start the reorder process so made sure an extra was on hand.

3 minutes ago, DIYguy said:

I debated going after warranty for the broken spring but I knew I wanted an extra so I just found the part number and ordered it online through Dillon. Bad news was $8.75 shipping for two springs.  I didn't want to take a chance of trying to mount the spring, have the thing launch into oblivion in my shop never to be seen again and have to start the reorder process so made sure an extra was on hand.

When I needed to replenish my spare parts kit I asked for an extra if possible and sent me two free of charge.

18 hours ago, DIYguy said:

I debated going after warranty for the broken spring but I knew I wanted an extra so I just found the part number and ordered it online through Dillon. Bad news was $8.75 shipping for two springs.  

Yeah, it was the shipping charge that made me call it in as warranty. 2 for free worked for me! I was only on hold for 3-4 minutes, so worth it to me.