Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading Your Mags...

JFD

Man I never thought of loading the day before. I guess I thought it was against the rules. :rolleyes:

I always thought the only reason not to load the mags too early was to keep strain off the feed lips. That prevents the mags from needing to be tuned. Otherwise I didn't think it was a problem.

-Cuz

I would have never thought of changing my routine, but loading ten 10 round mags & one 8 rounder for my wife + eight 20/21 round mags for myself can really be time consuming.

I load magazines (S_I) at the match, then after I read the course description for the first stage, if the course requires one or more rounds, I load my mag pouches with two 27 round big sticks and two 23 round standard mags. I've never run out of rounds before finishing a stage!

bill

Eeryone has a different way of doing it. Most of my shooting buds load once at the range while I stand around an wait on them. I always try to load the day/night before. Too many times we have been held up by shooters not ready when their time to shoot starts. I realize some can load mags with lightning speed but it seems shooters always get to yakking with some old friend or telling stories and the time slips by.

Also, there have been times that (due to someone not getting up in time) that we arrive to the match at the last minute. It's nice to have mags ready to go so all that is needed is to slap on the outer belt and hit the safety area to holster up.

I know how many rounds each of my mags hold and load to capacity. If a stage requires starting with less rounds, it is faster to thumb the extra rounds out than put more in. My fully loaded mags are in a different compartment than my ammo and "been used some" mags so I can keep track of when I need to replenish.

I shoot mostly Paras but also shoot a P226, G17, SA 1911, and a Ruger 22/45 in various competitions. I load ahead of time for all of them and have never had a problem with reliability because of it. Same goes for my ARs, FAL, HK91, and AK.

Edited by spd522

I normally am using my mags right up until all majors, and more than likely most locals. So I will load mags after sign in, and keep all the mags I use topped off until I pack up my gear and go home.

Loading mags is one step in my "normal match procedure".

Most of us have read the reports from the gun spring gurus and we don't want to be bothered by the facts. For me, being a cop I'm naturally....well lets say cautious about anything thats been out of my immediate control. So between that and a mild case of OCD, you can add me in there with Mr. Sunshine. I don't load 'em til right before I'm going to shoot the stage.

Most of us have read the reports from the gun spring gurus and we don't want to be bothered by the facts.
How long a spring lasts is controlled by how many cycles you put on it, not by how long you use them. Every time you load and unload the mag, thats one cycle. You guys that unload your mags between stages are actually wearing out your springs faster.

I just don't worry about the springs whether it's keeping them loaded or unloading them when I want.

I sometimes load my clean magazines before a match. Especially if the weather is bad. Loading mags with cold hands is a bummer. Good springs last a long time loaded up. I haven't found a need to worry.

However I do often unload the magazines after a stage to clean them. In this case I'd rather have a known clean magazine then worry about the spring.

Also, think about how long people keep the hammer spring on 1911's compressed while carrying cocked and locked. Lots of people who change magazine springs have never even thought of changing the hammer spring. Funny how different people worry about different things.

Also, think about how long people keep the hammer spring on 1911's compressed while carrying cocked and locked.

Remember that mag springs get more work than hammer springs - hammer springs don't go to maximum compression everytime the gun is cocked...

bill

Remember that mag springs get more work than hammer springs - hammer springs don't go to maximum compression everytime the gun is cocked...

bill

Yeah, but mag springs don't get fully cycled every shot either...

I usually unload & reload STI mags that were used or on my belt every stage, but it still takes a long long time for my mag springs to get weak.

I don't feel too bad now.

I unload any partially used mag after a stage so I can make sure it's got 20 in it. Don't want to reload to a 21 round mag. Of course I unload and clean any mag that's hit the dirt.

I have no idea how long the springs in my para mags will last. Only been using them a little less than a year now. My CMC 10 round .45 mags are still going strong after 4 years.