Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chasing the DOT Weak Hand Only

JFlowers

Shooting Open with a typical old-school open gun Para Frame, Frame mounted CMORE, 38 Super Comp

When I transition to Weak Hand Only, I end up searching for the dot.  The dot is being lost on the vertical, I think HIGH with the muzzle pointing downward.  Besides Dry Fire, Dry Fire, Dry Fire, are there any techniques for improving natural point of aim with the weak hand?

I was told the vast majority of the time the dot is high. So if it’s not there dip the muzzle.

I’m not a big practicer or dry firer but I dry fire weak hand only right before a match if I know WH is involved. Even doing a few WH transitions at the safe table when I gear up seems to help.

Going weak hand takes some practice. Open here too and sometimes, it gets lost. I usually practice weak hand often and try to capture in my "minds eye" the position of the gun related to my hand. I wish there was a natural quick answer. 

I’ll try to explain what I did when I was shooting Open/CO.

• In dry-fire, assume your normal two handed grip with the dot aligned to a target. 
  • Change your focus from the dot, and instead LOOK at where the gun is in relation to you, the place where the gun exists.
  • Holster the gun, draw and transfer to your weak-hand, keeping your stance EXACTLY the same, PLACE the gun in the same space, if you do it right the dot will be aligned to the target.

It’s what used to work for me.

Hello, if you loose the dot pull the pistol towards you and the dot will be there. You can also use the dial and the dot module on the same plane to align them up and the dot will be there. I mostly use the pistol towards me since it works for different red dots. Thanks, Eric

On 3/13/2021 at 11:33 AM, JFlowers said:

Shooting Open with a typical old-school open gun Para Frame, Frame mounted CMORE, 38 Super Comp

When I transition to Weak Hand Only, I end up searching for the dot.  The dot is being lost on the vertical, I think HIGH with the muzzle pointing downward.  Besides Dry Fire, Dry Fire, Dry Fire, are there any techniques for improving natural point of aim with the weak hand?

Focus on the guns position/orientation when you palce it in your weak hand. Specifically on placing it your hand correctly to avoid this problem. 

Think it thru on how it needs to be palced in the hand. Make that your focus of that action. Realizing that doing this action correctly is the only goal in that movement. It's not gonna be any slower and it will minimize any time lost to searching. 

Do some draws with eyes closed, then open your eyes and confirm it's properly lined up. As you draw, "feel" everything you cannot see, especially the final position of the gun.  It's as if you're trying to "see by feel" without your eyes. 

It's amazing how much you can pay attention to your movement and the final gun position when the visual input is taken away. You have to trust this feel. 

One of the omitted things in dot technical discussion I discovered after a 4 year break in shooting.   I took old faithful to a match, at the safe table I pulled her out and couldn't find the dot without the dance.   I then changed up the method  I focused on a rock on the berm, drew the gun, BAM got dot every time I focused on some object.  When I focused on the glass to find the dot it was a no go, but focusing on an object dot every time.

The moral here is focus on the target bring the gun into the line of sight.  In weak had we tend to look at you guessed it the gun and not the target.  

As a Guitar player the concept of muscle memory is something I get, yes my fingers know where to go and they know the chord transitions of each song, because I practiced it over and over and over again, and shooting a pistol finding the dot is all muscle memory.   Put some pasters on the walls and focus on that little square and do the weak hand till you gain consistency.  Do it right with the proper stance, how you practice is how you shoot.

If I practiced shooting even half as much as Guitar I'd be a grand master.

Edited by CocoBolo