Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 Gen 5 adventure.

Aircooled6racer

I shot my newest gen 5 g17 yesterday and got wildly different groups with different ammunition. Sadly. In my particular gun with my loads my 17.5 loved the jacketed and plated loads best and the coated worst. Regarding accuracy at 20 yards. Function was perfect with all. All stock but sights and recoil system.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My does not like coated either.  Tried both 115 coated and 147 coated with no success.  I thought I had a 147 gr coated load that was going to work but the consistency is just not there.  After I got used to the frame and trigger I really like the gun but not sure how much longer I want to mess with it before I move back to something else that I can shoot better with less effort.

4 minutes ago, TheChewycookie said:

I can make 1 hole groups at 15 yards with my 17.5 with coated BBI 125 gr. Loaded 1.117" long with 4.0 gr Sport Pistol.

I will admit that my trigger control is lacking. And looking at iron sights through my middle lens on my glasses isn't the easiest. My 17.5 liked 147gr plated or jacketed round nose, 1.140" oal, 3.40gr sport pistol. It hated coated 147gr rn fp, 1.125" oal and 3.3gr sport pistol. But that same load is a laser in my Shadow 2 and P10C.....

Hello, I am hearing that the Gen 5 barrels are a different animal in the Glock 17's. Glock 19 Gen 5's seem really good and the Gen 5 34's seem good also. Most of the guys I have talked to are using 147 grain bullets. I am going to try some coated 125's this week with less neck tension to see if that helps. It is a fun project. Thanks, Eric

My most recently purchased Glock, a 17 MOS, seems to be a shooter. Today I ran a variety of 124/125gr loads through it, including some factory reloads of questionable quality, and they all shot pretty well. The best groups were with 124gr V-crowns (awesome bullets) over 4.1gr of Titegroup, and they were in the 2.5 to 3 inch range at 25yards. Everything else was 3 to 4 inches, which isn’t as accurate as I’d like, but is still usable for most matches and for practice purposes. I should also mention these groups were shot with a dot and not irons.

Hello, well the testing is still going on. I took it apart today to have a look to see what the inside of the barrel looks like. It looks very good with no noticable imperfections. I looked the slide over and noticed a scratch on the front where the guide rod goes through. I looked at the frame and noticed rubbing on the bottom and the right side. I reassembled the pistol and sure enough there is more space on the left side than the right. I wrapped some emery cloth around a 5/8" rod and clearanced the frame a little in those areas. I will check to see if this has solved some of the problems. My thinking is that the lockup changes as the pistol heats up or the area that was rubbing was causing it to not lockup the same all the time? Thanks, Eric

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

I have an update as well on my 17.5 experience and I happy to say this thing is finally shooting very good and I've had three consecutive days of stump shooting with it and great weather.  From trial and error I have figured out that it does not like coated bullets, at least the ones I tried and neither does my XDM 9 or 1911's in 45 acp.  Not saying they don't work, obviously they do for a lot of people but for me they do not, again at least the ones I have tried from 3 different manufacturers.  

The next biggest issue and I obviously should have known better on this one but I have gotten away with it on other pistol calibers is the use of mixed brass.  I was getting some really decent groups and shots going exactly where I was aiming then just some random, what the hell was that shots, when I knew I hadn't jerked the trigger.  Then a few days ago I was at the bench at 25 yards and got a couple groups of three touching then one 3" out and another 5" out, then I got two consecutive groups of 4 shots within an 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" then a shot about 8" out and then on the other group about 10" out then the light came on, the brass.  I switched to using the same head stamp, FC and Blazer cause that's all I got right now besides the off brand stuff, and no more random flyers and I am very happy with the way it is shooting.   That is with 124 and 115 XTP, 124 Zero and 115 Evergreen LRN.

I just wanted to pass that along, hopefully it will help someone.  The gun is stock with the exception of a front sight and a piece of pine wood derby putty and a Carver plug in the grip, I really like the added weight.  Now hopefully I can find a 34.5 soon!!

Mike

I acknowledge I do not have the best trigger manipulation of a Glock trigger. I know it. But when I shoot my P10C and Shadow 2 back to back with my G17.5 and get groups 50% smaller it annoys me. So thinking of relative costs, a KKM barrel is $160. That's about 350 rounds of 115gr 9mm ammo off the shelf at most shops here. Rather than shoot 350 rounds out of the gun chasing my tail and trigger control I am going to try a new barrel. Yes, yes I know it is introducing a new variable. But I feel like I know what I already am going to know with my current guns and ammo together.

So I could keep shooting $160 buck worth of ammo and likely continue to see the same result or get a new barrel and know something different right away. If the groups don't change at all then I KNOW it is down to me getting better at the trigger/grip of this particular gun and fine tuning my load for this one particular handgun if I have to......

Hello, "rowdyb" I will agree with you on finding what will work with these Gen 5 G17's and a barrel will be the next step after I try a couple of more things. I have a gen 2 G17 and a gen 3 G34 that I can compare to the gen 5 and the gen 5 is a different animal for sure. I am not a bullseye shooter but I can group bullets at 25 yards off hand with my other pistols. I am thinking that my pistol does not like coated bullets so I will be trying some plated next. Thanks, Eric

Well 4th time is the charm. I went to three different websites, saw they listed the barrel in stock and made a purchase. Then one to two days later they would email me saying the item was actually out of stock and back ordered. So three times I canceled an order over the course of a week. I finally found a shop that had one in stock and would ship it the day I ordered it, which was Friday the 19th.

So on Wednesday I should have a kkm 17.5 barrel rather than 10 weeks from now.

Hello, update on the G17 gen 5 adventure. The pistol is starting to become a shooter. The clearance of the frame and finding a load it likes is working out. I am currently using 124 plated bullets and getting paper plate size groups at 25 yards off hand. No flyers or mysterious where the hell did that go shots now. It will be intersting to see how others that have changed barrels are doing with thier setup? Next I will be trying heavier bullets and maybe some more coated bullets again. Thanks, Eric

Hello, the CZ SP01 I had was a take driver with 121 grain bullets. The Glock G17 is much better since the slide and frame are not touching on slide spring boss. It will be interesting if a new drop in barrel will be that much better? For now I will be doing more testing with loads and recoil setups. Thanks, Eric

On 3/21/2021 at 9:48 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

getting paper plate size groups at 25 yards off hand

are you happy with that size group? to me that means like an 11" spread across the group at its widest. that's what I'm getting at that distance and I'm not happy with that at all out of my g17.5. I feel it should be like 5 or 6", just like other pistols i own.

Hello, I am getting a 8" group and it is getting better. Finding a load the barrel likes is taking some time. I can shoot 3" groups off hand with my limited 2011 at 25 yards but that is a different animal all together. I think a 5" group would be what I will be looking for at 25 yards off hand. Curious to see what an after market barrel will do with a 1-16 twist and 124's. Thanks, Eric

33 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, I am getting a 8" group and it is getting better. Finding a load the barrel likes is taking some time. I can shoot 3" groups off hand with my limited 2011 at 25 yards but that is a different animal all together. I think a 5" group would be what I will be looking for at 25 yards off hand. Curious to see what an after market barrel will do with a 1-16 twist and 124's. Thanks, Eric

What recoil spring are you running? The reason I ask is that with my 34.5 with stock I was all over a uspsa target at 25. When I switched to a 13lb spring I could keep them all in the a zone. This was off hand with a coated 125 bullet and n320 powder. Don’t know why but the paper didn’t lie..

Hello, I am actually using three different recoil spring setups. Jager captured steel guide rod with a 13lb ISMI recoil spring and a Jentra tungsten guide rod with a 13lb Wolff spring and a Jager captured with a 12lb Wolff spring.  The Jentra guide rod is one I cut down for a G34 gen 3. Works perfectly but I may end up going to a 14lb recoil spring depending on the testing for Carry Optics with the Wolff spring. Thanks, Eric

Barrel in and shooting at B8 at 25 yards. 

Groups are averaging 7 to 8 ", just me shooting off hand, 10 round groups. Better than the 10 to 11 I was getting with the stock barrel.

Obviously I am not a superstar at this distance with this gun. Much is on me. 

But a positive I do see that isn't subjective is now all of my loads are shooting the same. It isn't that the gun seems to favor one over the other any more. 

So a little more accurate but definitely more consistent across loads.

I have gotten better at my grip and trigger manipulation of the Glock 17.5 versus what I normally shoot. I am now able to hit the B8 100% of the time at 25 yards with no time constraint. I also have a fmj projectile I am very happy with in 147gr. I also am now using a 14# recoil spring and like it better than the 13 I was using previously.

I've owned 10 different Glocks over the years and used 5 of them in competition.  My G22 Gen4 has been hands down the most accurate, with my G21 Gen4 coming in second.  I have won 2 GSSF guns with the G22.  I can shoot easily ~4" offhand groups at 25 years, taking my time.  So the 5 to Glock 25 yard target is no problem.  The G21 Gen4 was close to being as good as the G22, maybe the same.  I won 1 GSSF gun with it.

The rest?  My two Gen4 G35s were nowhere near as accurate.  With KKM barrels, yes.  With stock?  Nope.  My G17 and two G19s?  Nope.

I know it's not me.  How can I shoot two guns so well and not the others?

I think there is some variance in fit among Glock products.  Reliability has been fine.  Precision?  Not so much.