Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 Gen 5 adventure.

Aircooled6racer

Hello, I am getting back into Glocks after a couple of years away from them. I bought a G17 Gen 5 MOS to try out things for carry optics. As of right now I have installed a Holosun 507C gen 1, C&H V4 Mil/Leo RMR plate, Glock "-" connector, and removed the original sights. The problem I am having right now is accuracy at 25 yards or more. With the same loads that I use in my iron sighted G34 Gen3 and a G17 Gen 2 I get better accuracy with those than I do with the Gen5. I did shorten my overall length and have been using 115, 124,125 grain bullets that are coated, plated and also jacket hollow points. I have some new loads I will test soon to see how they do. Overall length I am using is 1.100" since that is what the JHP's need to be. Powders I am using are Power Pistol, Clean Shot and Tite Group. These powders usually get great results for me in 9mm and 40 S&W. I am looking to shoot 4" groups off hand at 25 yards which I can do with my other Glock pistols with iron sights. The Gen 5 only has about 200 rounds through it so far and the other Glocks have many many thousands. I am hoping to find a better load and setup that can get me there. Kinda cool it fits in the box with the red dot attached. Thanks, Eric

IMG_4649.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using oem rsa? I got a gen5 g34 and my groups were terrible. At 25 yds I couldn’t keep the shots in a uspsa a zone. Went to a 15lb rsa and I could keep all hits in the a zone.  Don’t know why but the results didn’t lie. I’m now using a 13lb rsa, with a 4.5 striker spring and a dot connector.

Hello, well I shot it again today with some more of my reloads. Things are looking a little better but still not perfect. Tite Group powder was better than the Power Pistol loads I tried. The bullets I tried are 0.355-0.356" diameter. My reloads have always been better than factory loads. I also did some drills and noticed that the Gen 5 was slipping in my hand compared to my Gen 3 pistol. I don't like the finger grooves since they don't fit my large hands. I am going to try some skateboard tape to see if that helps which it should. I am still playing with recoil springs and guide rod setups also. I only have the Jager ISMI guide rod and the heavy Jager Wolff spring guide rod. Not sure which one I like better so far. My splits are a little slower with the Gen 5 over my 34 Gen 3 which has a much better trigger. The Holosun is working great even in the cold cloudy days. There will be more testing this week and maybe an indoor match to see how I can do with it. Thanks, Eric

Hello, did some more testing again today and I think my Gen 5 does not like 115 or 124/125 grain bullets. Just for the hell of it I put iron sights on the Gen 5 and shot my old Gen 2 G17 as well as my G34 Gen 3. The Gen 2 and 3 shot better than the Gen 5 Glock marksman barrel with 115, 124/125's. The next step will be to try some 135's and 147's. I am trying to keep the power factor in the 131-134 range to see how they all do. After I get the accuracy to where I want it, I will be playing with recoil springs again. Thanks, Eric

I've got a Gen 5 G34 MOS, that other than zeroing the  DPP, I had never shot for accuracy.  Today in less than ideal conditions, low 40's and misting rain, I was able to shoot 2"-2 1/4" groups at 15 yds. and 2 3/4" to 3" groups at 25 yds (standing/unsupported).

The load was 4.0-4.1 gr's N320 with a Blue Bullets 125 RN.  OAL is 1.125".

The only mods are a Glock Store Guide rod & Gen 5 striker (w/ 11 lbs recoil spring and a 3 lbs striker spring).  It also has a "-" connector.  The DPP is a 2.5 MOA.

I'm not great at shooting groups, but off a rest, I'm guessing I could get close to 2" groups at 25 yds.

I've had good luck with Sport Pistol(3.8gr) and 125gr Blue RN(.355") at 1.08" in my G5 17. I'm not the best group shooter but it has shot about 2 1/2" at 20 yards for me and runs about 133 power factor. The only mods to the gun are a TTI grandmaster trigger kit and uncaptured RSA with a #14 spring. I've also had good luck with Berry's 124 RN at 1.125" and 4.0gr titegroup. Good luck on your adventure Eric.

Hello: I am not sure it is a barrel problem yet. I will test some more loads that I have now. At 10 yards it does pretty well but at 25 is where it shows it's ugly head. I can't seem to get 5 shots on a paper plate with the gen 5 at 25 yards. I am not a bullseye type shooter but I can do better than that with my other pistols. The fun is still going on. Thanks, Eric

Hi, First post here so take that for what its worth.  I have been shooting and reloading for years lets just say long before the internet was here.  I am watching this with interest as I got a new Glock 17, Gen 5 and am not overjoyed with its accuracy compared to my other handguns of that barrel length.   I have tried 6 or 7 different powders, 115, 124, 145 38 cal, and 147 and the only load I am pretty pleased with is a 124 gr XTP over 5.2 gr of CFE that will do just under or right at 2"@25 yards off a rest, unfortunately that's not a very cost effective plinking load.  Using a 124 Zero JHP, which are very accurate bullets the best I can get is close to 4"@25 yds which is about as good as the best 115 cast bullet load.  Everything else is 6" plus at 25.  I was told from a few sources to try 147, tried different loads fo 147's and got a hold of some Federal 150 gr Synergy factory loaded ammo, I have had 5 shot groups close to a foot, nothing less than maybe 8" at 25 from a rest so mine definitely does not like the heavier bullets.  I will say even though I have reloaded and shot several calibers over the years the 9 is relatively new to me and is proving very challenging and unfortunately I stated shooting it right as all of the what ever you call it that's going on started so getting quality projectiles has been very hard, got plenty powder and primers.  Please keep us posted on your progress! 

Hello: I installed the Holosun 507C back on the G17 gen 5 and shot some today. The best load I found was using 135 grain bullets at 134PF. I am going to lower the powder drop and see how it does on the weekend. My Gen 3 G34 shoots most of these loads pretty well even with the iron sights. The recoil impulse using the same load is harsher on the 17. I tried my old Gen 2 G17 and it shoots softer also. I think the new type of barrel may have something to do with it. The bullet is not hitting the lands of the gen 5 since I plunked some of the reloads to check that. I will play with some recoil spring setup again to see if that helps. Lastly I am on the paper plate now at 25 yards offhand with all 5 shots. Thanks, Eric

Hello, the saga continues. Trying some 115's again as well as some 135's and 147's. The Gen 5 17 seems to like them a little hotter for better accuracy. I have found that in the 140-145 range they are more accurate at distance with the 135's and 147's. The 115's are good at 130-134PF range. If I had some more 124/125's I would try them in the 135-140PF range. I am testing these at 20-25 yards offhand. I am not a bullseye type shooter so take that into account. I am at least on a paper plate now and getting better. I did install Talon grips on it with the grit texture. Feels better and not having finger grooves makes me like it even more. I must say that this Gen 5 has never had a FTF or eject. In fact it ejects them into the stratosphere and I have never had one contact the Holosun 507C. It is starting to grow on me now. Next will be a tungsten guide rod if I can find a large diameter one that uses 1911 style recoil springs. Thanks, Eric

I've spent quite a bit of time with the Gen 5 17 now and I think I'm finally getting some place, of course tomorrow when I go out it may be a completely different story.  I put a Burris Fastfire on it to do some load testing, not a big fan of the dot and its already come off, and got some very decent groups with 147's and Power Pistol, along with some good groups with the Zero 124 and Power Pistol at 25 yards off a rest.  I am finding that the 17 is very sensitive when shooting from a rest, at least for me as I am used to a 1911, and also a lot more sensitive when shooting off hand compared to the 1911.  My 1911 trigger has been worked on so the stock Gen 5 trigger is not even close to that also there is a big weight difference which contributes to the forgiveness of the 1911, I think anyway.  One thing you mentioned Aircooled6racer is the ejecting into the stratosphere, yea not a big fan of looking for my brass in the grass 15 feet away so a heavier spring and heavier guide rod are in order.  I did contact Taylor Freelance?? about the availability of the Seattle Slug Plug for the Gen 5 and they were hoping this spring for those being available.  Anyone else had any luck adding weight to the 17?

Hello: I am using a Carver brass insert for my Gen5. It will be interesting to see what the Seattle Slug may weight for the Gen 5's. Power Pistol is loud but seems pretty good. I am mostly using Clean Shot and Tite Group since that is what I have the most of. Using up some 4756 115 loads right now to put some more rounds through the pistol. I may try a 11lb ISMI recoil spring on the Jager steel guide rod to see how that does. 12lb Wolff on the Jager heavy steel rod seems pretty good but I may try a 13lb. This Gen 5 sure is taking me alot longer to sort out than the earlier generations did. Thanks, Eric

7 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

This Gen 5 sure is taking me alot longer to sort out than the earlier generations did. Thanks, Eric

I found the exact same thing trying to set up a gen5 g17 and g34 simultaneously. All my good knowledge and parts sources from gen3 guns didn't seem to transfer as much as I'd like. (Still easier to set them up than a P10 though)

On 2/6/2021 at 9:19 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, if the weather clears up tomorrow I will do some more testing with some JHP's and some plated bullets. Going to shoot all 3 pistols to get a feel of what is going on. Thanks, Eric

You (we) are getting old.........

11 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I am using a Carver brass insert for my Gen5. It will be interesting to see what the Seattle Slug may weight for the Gen 5's. Power Pistol is loud but seems pretty good. I am mostly using Clean Shot and Tite Group since that is what I have the most of. Using up some 4756 115 loads right now to put some more rounds through the pistol. I may try a 11lb ISMI recoil spring on the Jager steel guide rod to see how that does. 12lb Wolff on the Jager heavy steel rod seems pretty good but I may try a 13lb. This Gen 5 sure is taking me alot longer to sort out than the earlier generations did. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the heads up on the Carver got one on order!!  When I think of Power Pistol being loud in a 9mm I think of shooting full power 44 mag loads and realize its not that bad in a 9mm😆  

• 2 weeks later...

I’m just a couple years into my experiences with Gen 5 Glocks, and like some of you have found already, I too have found I need to drive my loads a little harder to get them to group satisfactorily. Mostly I have shot a bunch of 124/125s and some 135s through them, and with all of them I have had load them between 1.10 and 1.15 OAL, and load them between a 137 and 140ish power factor. Also seems to be a bit hit or miss with my Gen 5s as far as how accurately they want to shoot. I have four of them currently. Two of them shoot great with just about anything, including some of my loads for my P320s, and the other two are more picky. One of them, a Glock 17 I was issued for work, is getting more accurate the more I shoot it. It is one of the two more finicky ones.

FYI, the bullets I’ve used have been Zero 125gr jhp, and The Blue Bullets 135s. They were loaded over N320 and Titegroup. The N320 loads have been the more accurate.