Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scale Suggestions Please

JatCarver

I myself have a FX120 scale since I have a precision rifle back ground. 

However I have a good friend that's getting setup to reload 9mm on a 750 and needs a scale. He has no intention of ever loading anything else and probably wont.

I'm suggesting a digital scale rather than a beam scale mostly just for the time savings. 

Does anyone have any experience with sub $100 digital scales that would work well for the purpose?

I have 3 scales. The fx120i, the gem pro 250 and this Lyman scale https://smile.amazon.com/Lyman-Micro-Touch-Electronic-Scale-7750700/dp/B00AU6CCB4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Lyman+scale&qid=1612117404&sr=8-3

We all know the fx120i is the gold standard for reloading, it's amazing. 

Im not really a fan of the gem pro 250 so don't waste your money plus I'm pretty sure they don't sell them anymore. 

I do highly recommend the Lyman scale above. I compared it to my fx120i weighing the same objects and everything weighed the same. The reviews on Amazon are unbelievable, yeah no s#!t you can't breath on it or have the ceiling fan on. It's scary those people own firearms. 

Now you know that this is Brian enos forum and everyone on here is sponsored by Dillon so if you want Street cred you gotta buy everything that's blue. 

Edit to add I bought that lyman scale in February of 2014 and it's still going strong. If you want I can post side by side pictures weighing the same things 

Edited by louu

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the FX120i. I know it’s way over kill for what he wants or needs. But I never planned on using anything other than a charge master. Thought it was sufficient enough and now use it for my ELR rifle and soon to be FClass rig. Buy once cry once. 

Besides it will always have value. Promise if he posts it here or accurateshooter it sill be sold with in couple days. 

This one was recently reviewed by Ultimate Reloader, Gavin is very enthusiastic about it, price is about €450

I bought myself the Myweigh Ibalance I311, since the scale mentioned by Ultimate Reloader Isn’t available here in the Netherlands. I’m very satisfied with this scale. Very accurate and can be used for powdertrickling. Price is also very friendly for such an accurate scale.

https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-ibalance-311.html

edit: sorry, just read he needs a below €100 scale. Personally never had any luck with these. My suggestion would be to spend a little more and buy himself a Dillon scale, if he’s only reloading handgun ammo.

Edited by Phoenix1977

I have this one for years. Due to my job, I have access to high end analytical balances and did a lot of weight comparisons. This little one is right on with the high lab scales.

One thing everyone must understand: your scale needs a good dampening base. Mine rests on a slab of granite which sits on top of a high density rubbermatt. Any good analytical scale is placed on a special weighing table, so your reloading scale needs this too. For me it makes no sense to spend a lot of money on a scale, but just have it sit on your reloading bench next to your press.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-GEM20-Precision-Milligram/dp/B00ESHDGOI/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=small+scales+digital+grain&qid=1613126312&s=kitchen&sr=1-17

On 1/31/2021 at 1:32 PM, louu said:

Now you know that this is Brian enos forum and everyone on here is sponsored by Dillon so if you want Street cred you gotta buy everything that's blue. 

I bought the dillon electronic when I ordered my press from Brian in 2008. He recommended it. It has been great