Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small rifle primers for .38 special and .357 magnum?

FotoTomas

I have done some searching on the forum and seen some pros and cons for using small rifle primers(SRP) in pistol ammo. Enough info to decide that in this current state of demand with primers being in short supply to take a stab at using some of my limited resources to make some revolver ammo with my SRPs. That however is my dilemma , revolvers.  In my case I carry, qualify and compete with .357 magnum revolvers that are often loaded with .38 special ammo. My research here seems to be limited to advice on semi-autos.  What is the experience and consensus of the group (if any) with crafting revolver ammo using SRPs?

In a galaxy long ago and far away, Federal did not make magnum small pistol primers but recommended their small rifle primers for .357 magnum.

How well that will work with today's limber spring kits, I don't know.

Other brands, I don't know.  In 9mm, WSR does ok but CCI BR4 is very hard and I single seated what I had hard to the bottom of the pocket, the Dillon would not do it.

I have a small supply of Winchester primers and all my revolvers have stock factory springs. I will plan on working up some loads and testing.  Hopefully finding small pistol primers in the future will not be so exasperating. 

When I was playing around with the Wolff spring kit for my Ruger GP-100 the 12-pound mainspring (factory is 14-lb) was 100% reliable but lighter is better.   I then tried the 10-pound spring which had me concerned about light strikes so I primed a couple of .38 Sp empty cases with Winchester WSR small rifle primers.  I figured if the gun would ignite them it should be fine with WSP primers and, indeed it did and I've used the 10-pound spring ever since. So, yes, in my experience small rifle primers will function well with a revolver, particularly with a factory mainspring.

I use them in my 327 with no problem. Same with my wife’s SP100 with a spring kit. Try dropping about .3 on the charge for starters if your close to max. 

Edited by Farmer

CHOOSING THE RIGHT PRIMER - A PRIMER ON PRIMERS

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0

Small Handgun Standard .017" cup thickness

CCI 500
Federal 100 - Has a soft cup - good to use if hammer strike is light.
Federal 100M - Match version of above
Magtech PR-SP
Magtech PR-SPC - Lead-free "Clean Range" primer for indoor ranges etc. 
Remington 1 ½
RWS 4031
Winchester WSP
Wolf/Tula Small Pistol SP #KVB-9 - brass cup - "For Standard Pistol loads"
Wolf/Tula Small Pistol #KVB-9SP - "For 9×19 NATO cartridges"
Wolf/Tula Small Pistol #KVB-9S - "For Sporting Pistol loads"

Small Rifle Standard

CCI 400 -thin .020" cup, not recommended for AR15 use by CCI/Speer.  Good for .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine.  See Note 1 at the bottom of the page

NOTE 1:  According to Speer/CCI Technical Services - Both the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum and CCI 400 Small Rifle primers are identical in size.  Both primers use the same cup metal and share the same cup thickness.  Both primers use the same primer compound formula and same amount of primer compound.  They can be used interchangeably.

The image below shows cup thickness, the thicker .025 cups will be harder to set off.

QJM65zp.png

Edited by bigedp51

Never had an issues, even used magnum rifle in small pistol. As long as it will strike them off I would not pay much attention. If you want to to be on the safe side take off a tenth or two of grain if your running on the high end of  a load.