Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition bag suggestions....

mniels

I use a 5.11 Rush 24 Tactical Backpack.  These are great multi-purpose bags that will serve you well for many years.  Been running mine for 4-5 years now and use it for USPSA, Steel Challenge, PRS, general range training, and also for a general carry bag when I'm out and about on local trips and longer road trips.  They come in multiple color options, and three different sizes (Rush 12, 24, and 72).  They also have multiple zippered pockets and built in pouches both outside and inside for organizing your gear.  I also augment with additional separate small carry bags that I place inside to customize and organize for specific purposes on different trips and uses.  They are built with the user in mind and you get a high quality product for your money, no cutting corners with the construction of these bags!  Most 5.11 products, including these bags, are actually built to high standards with military users in mind.  Even after many years of use, and countless outings for various purposes, mine still looks almost brand new.

When I use my Rush 24 bag for USPSA, it fits nicely in the seat of a baby stroller I use to carry my bag and a small hardside cooler that I have for drinks and my lunch.  My bag has plenty of room to carry my gun, magazines (loaded with 86 rounds), ammo boxes (with at least 200 round of ammo), mag cleaning towel, hearing pro, paster gun, field tool kit, Go Pro camera, first aid kit, sunglasses, sunscreen, chapstick, hand grip liquid, eyeglass cleaning towel and cleaning liquid, optic cleaning kit, bug repellant, tick remover, small cafeteria style tray for reloading magazines, and lots more!

Here's a link to this bag as listed on Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/5-11-Tactical-Backpack-Military-Compartment/dp/B08R5ZFSMM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3KQPZDNES2FP3&keywords=5.11%2Brush%2B24&qid=1650409963&sprefix=5.11%2Brush%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFMVTlRQTJDUkg5RFAmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3OTk5MzNGN1hROUs1MUtCSkYmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDI3MzA1ODE2TEZTNU5GOFY2UDYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 different sizes of the Shooters connection bags.  Both have been flawless and I am very happy with them.  I think they are well thought out with the organizing pockets.

1 hour ago, VU2AKILL said:

I have 2 different sizes of the Shooters connection bags.  Both have been flawless and I am very happy with them.  I think they are well thought out with the organizing pockets.

Me too.

• 1 year later...

I know I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I find competition bags fascinating. If you're looking for a non-backpack option with more room, the RangeRunner cart sounds like a great choice. As for bags, the DAA XL bag is durable, although it may not be your preferred style.

• 4 weeks later...

Sooooo..... I was one of those who had the XL Cart with a folding chair, cooler, and an umbrella strapped to it.  I had the GPS tactical tall range backpack, and I carried enough crap to build 3 pistols and probably fix your car. 

As I started flying to compete I took on a different approach.  I picked up a sling backpack with a single compartment, and a camelback bladder.  Added a couple 4x6 inch molly zipper pouches, a dump bag, and an ifak to the exterior molly webbing.  

I can hold 500+ rounds in  cases, 10 magazines, my pistol, fix it sticks/tools, chalk, gloves, a walkstool, shot timer, 5 foot collapsible tripod, GoPro, swabs/cotton dowels, mag brush, knife, tape, eye/ear pro, stapler, tape measure, and my belt on a carabiner. 

Everything fits inside the bag in organized soft cases except the Stool, tripod, and belt.  The whole setup fits in a pelican 1560 Case that has wheels and a telescoping handle.  With everything in the pelican case it came out to 47lbs (the pelican is probably 5lbs).  

The whole kit including pelican, bags, cases, chair, tools, ifak, and carabiner (not including pistol/ammo/mags/ear/eye/GoPro/belt) came out to about $650 bucks.

I took the same setup with me to 3 states for multiple matches on airline flights and it met all weight, size, and security requirements.  

After running this setup, IMHO.... If you can't carry it, you don't need it.

2 hours ago, Just_Will said:

Sooooo..... I was one of those who had the XL Cart with a folding chair, cooler, and an umbrella strapped to it.  I had the GPS tactical tall range backpack, and I carried enough crap to build 3 pistols and probably fix your car. 

As I started flying to compete I took on a different approach.  I picked up a sling backpack with a single compartment, and a camelback bladder.  Added a couple 4x6 inch molly zipper pouches, a dump bag, and an ifak to the exterior molly webbing.  

I can hold 500+ rounds in  cases, 10 magazines, my pistol, fix it sticks/tools, chalk, gloves, a walkstool, shot timer, 5 foot collapsible tripod, GoPro, swabs/cotton dowels, mag brush, knife, tape, eye/ear pro, stapler, tape measure, and my belt on a carabiner. 

Everything fits inside the bag in organized soft cases except the Stool, tripod, and belt.  The whole setup fits in a pelican 1560 Case that has wheels and a telescoping handle.  With everything in the pelican case it came out to 47lbs (the pelican is probably 5lbs).  

The whole kit including pelican, bags, cases, chair, tools, ifak, and carabiner (not including pistol/ammo/mags/ear/eye/GoPro/belt) came out to about $650 bucks.

I took the same setup with me to 3 states for multiple matches on airline flights and it met all weight, size, and security requirements.  

After running this setup, IMHO.... If you can't carry it, you don't need it.

I’d like to see some pics. 
I agree with the less is better concept. I would add a backup gun to the mix as it’s easier than. Needing any parts. 
I like the idea of a rolling hard case just because it keeps your stuff dry in the rain, and doubles as a seat, but Stanley stopped making the one I liked, and I’m in need of something. Also, as I get older, carrying everything takes a toll on my body and wears me out sooner. 

On 5/6/2022 at 11:38 AM, MikeyScuba said:

https://www.amazon.com/G-P-S-2215RB-Rolling-Range-Black/dp/B00BD5IC2O

It wheels great on anything but fine sand.  I love mine but my wife saw someone use the Dewalt hard construction cases and recently bought one of those.  They are HUGE!

Ive been using this since February. Very durable so far even when loaded down with two guns and 1000 rounds. For a normal local match everything fits inside including 6 mags, my gun, 400 rounds, and my belt. 

What happens here in FL, especially in the summer, is that its so hot that in addition to the bag you also need a cooler with drinks, a fan etc.  So not only you need a roomy bag, but also cart wagon to haul all that s**t.

On 6/10/2023 at 5:42 AM, Cuz said:

I’d like to see some pics. 
I agree with the less is better concept. I would add a backup gun to the mix as it’s easier than. Needing any parts. 
I like the idea of a rolling hard case just because it keeps your stuff dry in the rain, and doubles as a seat, but Stanley stopped making the one I liked, and I’m in need of something. Also, as I get older, carrying everything takes a toll on my body and wears me out sooner. 

I can fit 2 pistols in the same case, it has a divider.  I pack it half the time, just depends on how many rounds I carry.

IMG_20230611_221541.jpg

9 hours ago, Just_Will said:

I can fit 2 pistols in the same case, it has a divider.  I pack it half the time, just depends on how many rounds I carry.

IMG_20230611_221541.jpg

Thanks, but I wouldn’t want to carry that around. I need wheels. 

I have a DAA RangePack Pro and their cart… I fully appreciate the quality and the thought that went into the design. 

definitely would recommend it… just as everybody says … the bigger the bag, the more stuff you’ll bring and heavier it’ll be. With the cart, it doesn’t make a difference to me. There’s no way this thing will ever make it on my back