Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 TK 9mm conversion

Makicjf

Does anyone have any experience with this?  I have several thousand rounds of 9mm loaded, and I'd love to  use them for Steel Challenge.  Converting my 627 would save my SPP for my 38 Short Colt loads for USPSA ( I've been shooting major to save inventory).  The .356 rounds I've fired from .898 trimmed 38 special cases appear to be accurate enough for minute of steel.   Any experiences or thoughts?

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

no personal experience but several here have made the mod, just reaming the 627 cyl to take the 9mm is not a big job but if you use regular 38 based brass in it it will get formed to the 9mm chamber so making it fit regular 38 cylinder will be hard on the brass so its life will be short at best, running short colts you could just go to sizing with a 9mm die and not worry about it. 

Once you fire a .38 Short Colt/.38 Special in a 9mm chamber, that's all the brass will fit in.

A sizing die doesn't resize it enough to use in a .38 chamber. Unless you roll size it, it's dedicated to that gun.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:18 AM, Makicjf said:

Does anyone have any experience with this?  I have several thousand rounds of 9mm loaded, and I'd love to  use them for Steel Challenge.  Converting my 627 would save my SPP for my 38 Short Colt loads for USPSA ( I've been shooting major to save inventory).  The .356 rounds I've fired from .898 trimmed 38 special cases appear to be accurate enough for minute of steel.   Any experiences or thoughts?

Jason

I bought a 2nd cylinder for my S&W TRR8 and had TK do the cylinder machining.  Looks like he gets $350 for the service now.  I had mine done back in 2014.  I can swap from 38/357 to 9mm just by switching cylinders.