Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open vs Closed emitter

LordManHammer

Less glare, better weather sealing, likely to get more material around the lens that may be a distraction, and generally heavier.

Generally speaking they are more reliable.

May be easier to find the dot for beginners but practice should eliminate that problem anyway.

12 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

I haven’t seen a closed emitter in wide use on open guns yet. 

The first "tube" sights were closed emitter. C-more came out and the tube sights more or less disappeared. I never heard of any movement back to the tube 😉

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

The first "tube" sights were closed emitter. C-more came out and the tube sights more or less disappeared. I never heard of any movement back to the tube 😉

yes, I agree. I was referring to the modern version of the closed emitter optics which I thought was what the op was asking about. 

Ok, so we are just really talking about an updated version of the old tube sights. Cool. If you shoot where there is a chance of rain, it could definitely be a plus. I remember a stage where I lost the dot for part of the stage with a drop of rain over the diode exit cover on a Deltapoint non-pro on an open gun. I also lost 1/2 the outer reticle on a Holosun 510C on a stage shooting PCC. I had tried a Romeo 5 but I decided that "I didn't like it". It may of been the small dot but the tube was distracting compared to the c-more. I never tried a enclosed sight on my open gun. 

I started with a Tasco pdp2 and the larger pdp3 tube sights on my open guns, and when the c-more first came out I thought it was stupid, I'd see guys with them do the old c-more dance trying to find the dot.  I was convinced I was right until I bought a gun with one, then I realized I was the stupid one for not trying one earlier. The only advantage the tube sight had over the c-more was it was easier to find the dot on the draw due to the tube, the disadvantage is I'd get tube focused and my eyes were locked to the tube while transitioning from target to target.