Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to buy a new XL750 in 9mm (or any caliber) directly from Dillon RIGHT NOW

Seeing how much XL750s are going these days, I though I would share my experience purchasing a 750 for 9mm last month....

EDIT (I just went to the site, and they have 9mm in stock at the moment!!!)  Bad for me, but good for other folks.

Aftermarket prices are bonkers right now.  The way that I did this is more expensive than if you were able to purchase a 9mm 750 off the shelf, but it is still significantly less expensive than what I have seen out there.  Yes, I could have backordered, but patience is not a virtue of mine.

This is pretty simple.  Call Dillon and see what caliber versions they have in stock right now.  They will be wonky calibers that almost never sell.  I was told they had one in 41 Magnum.  Caliber conversion kits are out of stock everywhere, right?  Well, not if you buy the individual parts.  You can find the parts here:  http://dillonprecision.com/docs/caliberconversioncharts/450_and_550_Series_Caliber_Conversion_Charts.pdf

I was also told that they did have a few 9mm conversion kits in stock when I called.  Are there any now?  No idea, but it cannot hurt to ask.  Unfortunately, I had already purchased all the parts by the time I found this out.  Learn from my mistake.  It would have taken forever to return what I had and receive the actual conversion kit, so I just ate the cost because I was out of 9mm rounds at the time.

So, is this more expensive?  Yes, but not as expensive as what I have seen out there.  I have a 9mm powder funnel already, so I did not need to purchase one, that saved me about $20.

All in all, before tax and shipping, I paid $762.93, as opposed to $649.99.  Considering that I have seen 750s going for well over $1000 (and used, no less!) I considered this a good deal.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience, and I hope that this helps some of you out who thought that the aftermarket prices placed a new 750 too far out of reach financially.

So, good luck and get to reloading!

Just for giggles, this is what my receipt looked like (with a reminder that I did not need to purchase a powder funnel.)  This will give you the stock #s you need for easy reference.  Just plug that number into their search engine on the site.  The appropriate powder funnel is #F Powder Funnel - #13806.

Bear in mind that depending on what caliber is available, you may need to swap out the large primer setup for the small.  It is VERY easy to do.

Shipped

XL 750 Reloader

XL 750 Reloader

• Select Caliber: 41 Magnum

Shipped

Locator Buttons

Locator Buttons

• Type: #3

Shipped

XL 750/650 Station One locators

XL 750/650 Station One locators

• Type: #5 Locator

Shipped

XL750/650 Case Feed Adapter

XL750/650 Case Feed Adapter

• Type: Green

Shipped

XL 750/650 Casefeed Body Bushing

XL 750/650 Casefeed Body Bushing

• Type: Small

Shipped

XL 750/ 650 Shellplate

XL 750/ 650 Shellplate

• Type: #5 Shellplate

Shipped

XL 750/ 650 Casefeed Arm Bushing

XL 750/ 650 Casefeed Arm Bushing

• Type: Small/Green - $11.99

Edited by mniels

If I'm not mistaken, Dillon will not let its distributors mark up the price of any of their presses by more than 5%, that's why you usually don't see them in the LGS like Bass Pro, Cabelas, or any other outfitter...Not so with other press manufacturers.

17 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

If I'm not mistaken, Dillon will not let its distributors mark up the price of any of their presses by more than 5%, that's why you usually don't see them in the LGS like Bass Pro, Cabelas, or any other outfitter...Not so with other press manufacturers.

I think that's correct. There is a local gun shop that is notorious for charging way over retail, especially in difficult times. But what little Dillon stuff they had was always the same price as buying direct from Dillon. 

I'm stunned you were even able to get anyone on the phone at Dillon right now.

But yes, it appears you are right, most if not all of the conversion kit parts are in stock if you want to buy them separately.  Good lookin out.

And I m sitting here with a brand new one in 9 mm still in the box. Wow maybe I should sell it. Im running two 1050's and this one was to set up someone else. Since we can't buy primers the whole deal is just sitting.. Don't rush to buy one unless you have primers to be able to use it.

I posted in another thread I had a guy at my local range offer me $1100 for mine I had just received which was still unopened. I took the deal and then ordered myself another one at regular retail. With tax and shipping factored in, the guy still reduced my price by nearly $400 thanks to his rush to get one. 

Just ordered 750 no conversion 580 from Scheels in ND. 

I was doing super well, delivered today in CT.

Then the Wife informed me with that distain in her voice that I have a big box with ammo factory on it in the garage.

Got to talk to the people at Dillon about a more discreet packaging. 

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing all the issues of low or no stock on reloading machines and hearing of a Dillon price increase I decided to order an XL 750 yesterday (direct from Dillon). I expected quite a wait as their website stated up to a 12 week backlog for the 750. 

Surprise, I received notice not 3 hours later that the machine, case feeder and powder sensor had shipped. Fed Ex tracking shows delivery on Monday 1/4. That’s a nice New Years surprise!

Edited by Jeppy61
Missing word