Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proof Research CF durability Question

Guillermo757

Hi guys, wondering if anyone else out there running a Proof CF barrel for 3 gun has had durability issues or concerns. My build is off a 16” intermediate gas length 223 wylde. It shot the lights out when I initially got it and for the first few matches. Easily a 3/4 MOA barrel with 77SMK but now won’t hold a group under 2 MOA. I’ve put less than 6-700 rounds through it in the 3 months I’ve had it over 6 3gun matches and practice time.

I’ve done copper stripping and carbon cleaning several times at this point with no improvement.

Rest of the build is on a Wilson Combat matched billet set, giessele MK8 rail, nitride Wilson BCG, SLR Sentry 7 set screw block, and lantac dragon break.

thanks

I've had a 16" Proof barrel installed in one of my main match rifles for over two seasons now. I can't begin to imagine how many thousand rounds and matches I've shot with it. As it's older, it's the older mid length gased barrels they used to produce. 

Still shoots essentially the same as when I first installed it as far is I can tell, easily sub MOA with all ammo I put on paper. 

Additionally I've never seriously cleaned it, im not big into cleaning barrels I'm just one of those shooters. I dont think the barrel is any more or less durable than any of the rest of my stable, so I'm not sure what your issue may be. Perhaps just a lemon. But for what it's worth I would never buy another proof barrel for 3 gun or recommend that anyone else does either despite the fact I've had zero issues with mine. 

I had reached out to CS at Proof and they were very responsive but ultimately since it started out shooting well they ruled out a barrel issue. I’m not knocking their CS or quality, I have other barrels from them that are incredible on my bolt guns and know others who had good experience on ARs but don’t run them as hard as a 3 gun rifle. 

gas block, barrel nut, and muzzle break were all inspected for torque and leakage so I’m at a loss.

8 hours ago, ecn515 said:

But for what it's worth I would never buy another proof barrel for 3 gun or recommend that anyone else does either despite the fact I've had zero issues with mine. 

I've always kinda scratched my head when I see a barrel that expensive in a sport designed to kill barrels. What are your reasons for not recommending them?

@TonytheTiger the selling point for those is the light weight and accuracy. 

For about half the price you can get a PREMIUM conventional barrel that is lighter and shoots just as well. Personally I have gone over to JP ULW barrels, but even cheaper than that price point there are so many great barrels on the market today. There's just no value in a near $1k barrel that does the same things as everyone else, but wrapped in Carbon Fiber. 

I'm happy with mine, I'm glad I have it and have experience with the barrel. Now I can write the concept off and advise anyone who ask about the topic to skip it. 

I shoot proof exclusively for very high volume 3 gun. I buy them and rotate in 1 new one each season and last years goes to backup/local upper. I probably shoot 6-7k per year on them. Just the other day I tested my 3 year old one with probably close to 15k down the pipe and though its about 80fps slower than a brand new one and the throat is moving, it still shots tiny groups. If you having problems its more likely something else, mount, optic, ammo etc.  I have spent aot of time chasing accuracy gremlins over the years and never really had a real bad barrel from a reputable company, though it can happen and proof will try to help if its on them.  As far as value goes thats up to your personal tolerance. With what I spend every year and how competitive it is at top levels of the sport I think its worth it but you may not. I like a 16 that handles like a 11 on the move and ignores heat on long range. A second here or there.

I have a BSF 20" CF wrapped barrel on my AR10, granted it's not a 3 gun riffle and I avoid beating it around but I haven't had any issues with it. Keep in mind carbon fiber is not by any means fragile. This is what they make modern race cars out of, It's as strong as steel and 1/10th the weight.

DSCN1400.thumb.JPG.a239b85ef8f8c3a128733b349bac12fa.JPG

DSCN1404.JPG

• 1 month later...

I have a 6.5 PRC barrel and have ran a good amount of rounds through it. At first I wasn't sure I like it until I found the bullet it wanted to shoot. I have beaten it up in Alaska, rain, caribou hunt and sheep and it has held 1/4 minute of angle with any hundred rounds. I honestly don't think there's a difference between carbon or steel once you find the load it wants. 

IMG_3198.jpg

• 2 months later...

Proof was one the first companies to start the carbon fiber craze. With that being said, I had two proof barrels and loved them, but didn't love the price. Two years ago I switched to BSF barrels and have no issues with accuracy, durability and price. I run those barrels on bolt guns and AR platforms.