Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trap shooting: Benelli Super Vinci vs Browning Citori CXT

JGus

I've pheasant hunted for years, but have never really shot trap. About a week ago i shot trap with some buddies. Brought my trusted Benelli Super Vinci that i use to pheasant hunt. In pheasant hunting in the Dakota's, i shoot very well.  But when trying to shoot clays, i missed enough that it was embarrassing. About a 70%-75% sucess rate. My buddy let me use his Browning Citori CXT, and it was like night and day. I was crushing almost all the clays, about 90% success rate. I felt like i almost couldn't miss.

I'm no expert in shotgun knowledge, so can someone who is explain why there would be such a difference in hitting clays?

6 hours ago, JGus said:

I've pheasant hunted for years, but have never really shot trap. About a week ago i shot trap with some buddies. Brought my trusted Benelli Super Vinci that i use to pheasant hunt. In pheasant hunting in the Dakota's, i shoot very well.  But when trying to shoot clays, i missed enough that it was embarrassing. About a 70%-75% sucess rate. My buddy let me use his Browning Citori CXT, and it was like night and day. I was crushing almost all the clays, about 90% success rate. I felt like i almost couldn't miss.

I'm no expert in shotgun knowledge, so can someone who is explain why there would be such a difference in hitting clays?

I am a total newb and have no experience with what I am talking about so take this for what its worth.  Someone may have just answered this question for me yesterday when I was shopping for a Citori.  I am just getting into sporting clays and have been looking at shotguns.  My LGS owner, who is an expert, told me In trap the clay is rising in front of you and the Citori has an adjustable comb you can raise to make the barrels aim higher above the clay.  I was told this is specific to shooting trap and for sporting clays you want the comb to be lower.  Again, this is just what I was told but the difference between the two shotguns may just be how it fit you.

6 hours ago, AzShooter said:

What choke do you have on your Benelli?  Your pattern may be too small for good trap shooting.  

I have a modified choke on my Benelli.  Not sure what my buddy had on his Citori barrels (maybe modified and full)?

And it could be the Citori just fit me really well, but I always shoot extremely well with the Benelli Super Vinci when pheasant hunting. 

Modified should be good to go.  Trap is a whole new game compared to Pheasant.  Those little orange birds fly much faster.  Could be you need practice with the lead. 

I really miss Pheasant hunting.  Not much meat on trap birds.  I'm no expert but I have hit a few 25 straights in my days.  

1 hour ago, dapribek said:

I think this is why you did well with the Browning, a dedicated trap gun. 

“High shooting 70/30 POI is ideal for trap”

The Citori is shooting 70/30?  Maybe that was the issue, that I was shooting under the clay with my misses with Benelli?  My Super Vinci patterns out at 50/50.  I also have the C shim in my Benelli.

Edited by JGus

2 hours ago, JGus said:

The Citori is shooting 70/30?  Maybe that was the issue, that I was shooting under the clay with my misses with Benelli?  My Super Vinci patterns out at 50/50.  I also have the C shim in my Benelli.

Any good trap gun shoots high. Want the bird visible as much as possible. I recently took the kids to a trap range with my moss 500 and couldn’t hit anything until I realized I was low. I shot trap for years with a trap gun and never lost the habit of seeing the bird above the bead

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Any good trap gun shoots high. Want the bird visible as much as possible. I recently took the kids to a trap range with my moss 500 and couldn’t hit anything until I realized I was low. I shot trap for years with a trap gun and never lost the habit of seeing the bird above the bead

I think I must be going through the same type of issue.

I did, however, just order a Browning Citori CXT with the plan of getting more involved with trap shooting.  I had a great time with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Had the same experience with the Citori. When I lived up north I shot many pheasants with my trusty Ithaca Pump. Came down south and shot a couple of company trade competitions at the top trap & skeet club in the area. Took the Ithaca out and did well shooting trap, but what a difference shooting my buddies Citori. Fell in love with it but could never justify buying one for my few trips to the trap clubs. You will not regret getting one.

gerritm

• 4 months later...

I shot aBrowning Superposed for decades-S/S.  Inherited a B 682 Sporting Clays.  I could hit the side of the barn!   I had the stock cut and put in an adjustable comb; skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays all get their preferred sight picture. Happy Camper now. 
Get your gun fitted to your sport/style. 

Edited by pjb45