Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kidd Chassis

Hoops

35 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

I would use this today rather than build my own.  I particularly like the function of the angled BS despite the looks. 

Looks like you can customize the LoP;   @George16  https://taccom3g.com/product/ulw-buttstock/

image.thumb.png.dd5466bf8bcde2ad38dda2b91970eeb7.png

@jrdoran thanks a lot for the info. I’m planning on installing this on my 8” barreled MPX.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, jcrenfroe said:

What are peoples thoughts on the Kidd Chassis?

From a quick trip to the range last Thursday the day I put it together, my thinking is that i like it.  This upcoming week I hope to practice with it on several SC stages and check my times.  I like having the traditional adjustable butt stock.  Having said that, I also like my ModShot(s) chassis'.    We have a SC match this coming Saturday and if all goes well, I will shoot one ModShot and the Kidd.

Will update this post next week.

I should also note that I purchased a Wiland chassis and it my arrive this Thursday.  The cheek risers are not ready yet so that will be missing.  Will comment on the Wiland after I run it.

It looks like I will ultimately have ModShot, Kidd and Wiland chassis (expensive hobby here lately).  Will be interesting to see which one becomes a go-to for matches.

On 12/6/2020 at 3:58 PM, jcrenfroe said:

What are peoples thoughts on the Kidd Chassis?

Extremely well made and tight fitting.  Good looking and very comfortable to hold.  I had originally planned to use a Zulu 2.0 fully adjustable stock with it.  I like that stock on my PCC, but not on the 10/22.  So I put the carbine tube and fixed stock that I took off the Lead Star and installed it on the Kidd chassis.  I didn't think I was going to like it, because it resulted in a 12" LoP.  Surprisingly, it is perfect.  I love how solid it feels now.  Can't wait to shoot a match with it.

Edited by zzt

Today I shot SCSA match.  61 shooters.  4th overall with new Kidd (first match) as 1st gun.  6th overall with Modshot as 2nd gun (pushing a bit too hard I think).

Kidd.  Quality is very good.  When you buy it all you get is the body.  Grip, buffer tube and butt stock are not included.  I have a picture of it below.  I added a piece of bike grip to the barrel to wrap my hand around.  I was out of cheek pads and added a piece of felt to the butt stock.   Overall I like the Kidd chassis.

Also shown below is the new Wiland chassis that arrived in the mail this afternoon.  I put another Magnum Research receiver in it with MR barrel and Kidd trigger.  The larger foam tube on the buttstock (Modshot too) is the "Chubby" from Crazy Ivan which I really like.  The configuration is 4 lbs 5 oz.  I do like the adjustable clamp on butt piece.  Also, the vertical adjustment for the buttstock CF tube is great and allowed me to tweak what I needed to get just right on my red dot.  Quality appears to be very good.  I hope to shoot it tomorrow or Wednesday when the range opens.  

Which one do I like best?  Not firm on that yet.  I like each one but I need to shoot the Kidd and the Wiland a few times under the timer to see how I like each one.

Pics:

Modshot (red)

Kidd (black)

Wiland (blue)

867644102_ModShotKiddWiland.jpg.5ba278355ae6df56b378db906e9b8251.jpg

36 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Today I shot SCSA match.  61 shooters.  4th overall with new Kidd (first match) as 1st gun.  6th overall with Modshot as 2nd gun (pushing a bit too hard I think).

Nice set of rifles !!  Great feedback.

How were you able to shoot 2 guns in the same RFRO division in the match ?   This is not permitted;  same USPSA #; same division; same match; 

Here is your match.  I see several people who shot the same division 2x;  

https://practiscore.com/results/html/5c4c7fd2-10b6-4205-952f-1e4f4bc7b399?page=overall-combined

image.thumb.png.17d807b76b6f81612dec77b94b139da0.png

Edited by jrdoran

Level 1 and MD needed the cash 😃

Actually I talked him into it.   I wanted to run both chassis for a test under the pressure of the timer.  It was a good test in spite of the verbal abuse I took from my friends.

5 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Level 1 and MD needed the cash 😃

Actually I talked him into it.   I wanted to run both chassis for a test under the pressure of the timer.  It was a good test in spite of the verbal abuse I took from my friends.

It is against SC rules, regardless of tier 1 match or not.  T

Very interesting and timely thread with great information. Personally I am very happy Hoops was able to shoot both rifles in the match and is able to provide relevant back-to-back feedback.  Both of these are currently on my short list for my next build.  I am thinking of the TACCOM as well but somehow the idea of the delrin makes me wonder, only because I havent seen one in person yet.

@Hoops I realize you still need more trigger time (especially under a timer) behind the Wiland and the KIDD, but just based on you experience with it thus far, the install in the Wiland chassis regarding fit, potential movement of the received, etc. I would love to hear more of your thoughts between them?  Wiland mentions five points of contact with the receiver but they do not expand on what/where these are whereas I think the KIDD essentially focuses on the front action screw and the rear cone shaped set screw?  I am not planning on installing a bull barrel of course but I still do want a solid and stable rifle with no rocking of the receiver (or concern that it will start loosening up during a match or under any heavy handling)...

4 hours ago, Eaglehunter said:

Very interesting and timely thread with great information. Personally I am very happy Hoops was able to shoot both rifles in the match and is able to provide relevant back-to-back feedback.  Both of these are currently on my short list for my next build.  I am thinking of the TACCOM as well but somehow the idea of the delrin makes me wonder, only because I havent seen one in person yet.

@Hoops I realize you still need more trigger time (especially under a timer) behind the Wiland and the KIDD, but just based on you experience with it thus far, the install in the Wiland chassis regarding fit, potential movement of the received, etc. I would love to hear more of your thoughts between them?  Wiland mentions five points of contact with the receiver but they do not expand on what/where these are whereas I think the KIDD essentially focuses on the front action screw and the rear cone shaped set screw?  I am not planning on installing a bull barrel of course but I still do want a solid and stable rifle with no rocking of the receiver (or concern that it will start loosening up during a match or under any heavy handling)...

I have shot the Wiland at the range.  Set up Showdown.  I can give you my initial thoughts on it based on 300 rounds/several strings.

Wiland:

1)  The 5 points of contact to the receiver.  If you look closely at it on the website you will see what are two set screws on each side of the chassis that line up perfectly with the trigger pins.  The intent is install the action normally with the usual take-down screw then "snug" these 4 set screws to put a little lateral pressure on the heads of the trigger pins.  Not wanting to put much pressure on the chassis, I did'nt do this.......but I have played around with them.  

2) I use  Magnum Research receivers in all 4 of my guns.  There was a slight rocking of the receiver similar to what I had on my Modshot's.  I put a layer of Talon grip tape where the rear of the trigger locks into the chassis and solved this (on Modshot as well).  Snugging the side set screws may have done same but I went with the grip tape shim.

3) I like the front handquard.  Easy to wrap around it without getting hand hot from the barrel.  Transitions were nice and smooth and the gun felt good to shoot.  I put a Crazy Ivan "chubby" foam tube on the rear buttstock tube and the cheekweld was perfect for my dot alignment (C-more slideride) with the vertical alighment in the center.

4) I like the buttshock should plate.  I adjusted the angle a couple of times and found a good position for me.  I like this feature.

5) I plan to shoot January match with Wiland, Feb with Kidd and Mar match with Modshot.  Will see how it goes.  Meanwhile I hope to get several range sessions with it starting next week.  Bottom line.........I like the Wiland too and think its a good platform.  

6)  Check out the Wiland Chassis post.  There are a lot of pictures and detail about it from a GM shooter with much more experience/skill than me.

Kidd:

1)  Unfortunately (for my pocketbook), I like the Kidd chassis too.  But I decided to order a Smoke Composite CF butt stock that should be in next week.  It will also get the Crazy Ivan Chubby foam tube added to it.  

2)  The cone shaped screw to add 2nd point of contact to prevent rocking actually works much better than I initial thought it would.  Once I found the right pressure, I just blue locked tight it and it has stayed there.  

Modshot:

1) Has a slightly different feel (and look) to it.  It has the adjustable palm rest/grip instead of handguard or underguard.  But I like it too.  It is the most expensive of the 3.

It will be interesting to see when March rolls around which one becomes my "go to" match gun.  All three are very close in weight.  Kidd a few more ounces heavier but when I put the Smoke Composite buttstock on it, I am anticipating the weight will be very close to the ModShot and the Wiland.  If you like the adjustable buttstock feature, then the Kidd would probably be the best for more LOP options.  Kidd and ModShot are fast takedown with the one screw.  Wiland has the top handquard cap plate with 4 set screws that also have to be removed before the action can be removed.

Happy shooting.  Don't forget to check out the Wiland Chassis topic/post for much more info on Wiland.

The Kidd chassis is a tight, smooth fit on the sides of the receiver.  It slips in and out with no play.  The 'hole' in the chassis for the take down screw is actually a small slot, so the receiver can slide back and forth. Before you tighten the take down screw, push the receiver forward and hold it against the front of the chassis.  Then tighten.  There will be no rocking.  It is solid.  Then tighten the rear cone screw tight up against the rear of the receiver.  It is there to prevent the chassis from moving back if you didn't tighten the take down screw tight enough.

I have not installed a receiver in a Wiland chassis, but I talked to Todd extensively about it.  The dimensions of the receiver cutout in the chassis are looser to make sure any receiver will fit.  That is why he uses five tightening screws.  That is what decided me on the Kidd.  I'm very happy with my choice.

I don't think any of the mounting methods is really an issue for the game we are playing SCSA;  My modshot uses the single 10/22 mounting screw and slides into the chassis with plenty of room.  Never do I perceive it to be loose or an issue.    I'm sure Kidd is quite nice as he builds top quality products.  Wiland understands the demands of the day to day competition world for sure.     

Thank you very much for the detailed comparison of the three @Hoops and thank you also @zzt and @jrdoran the additional context definitely helps. I am going to search for the Wiland chassis topic now.  I really like the idea of using the talon grip tape in the rear and am going to play with that a little bit when I put the new gun together.

I totally agree regarding the quality of kIDD products. Amongst others, I have a supergrade that I built into a precision rifle and I love it. My 22lr experience mostly centers around longer range PRS, NRL22 and benchrest type shooting and the SCSA game is new for me. I guess that may explain my questions about the receiver fit.. i only shot one steel challenge match before but that was with a centerfire pistol. It was enough to know I definitely want to shoot it more regularly with rimfire though.

On 12/4/2020 at 4:43 PM, jrdoran said:

These fit perfect into a standard ar15 buffer tube that I cut off.  I then epoxied the CF tube into the stub of the metal buffer tube if you follow.  I even used the female hole on the end to mount the shoulder pad that I made.       This is only for .22 rimfire  or ruger PCC ( not a real buffer tube with spring ) ;    

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8G9J94/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.2891ba1f7abbeb53f3759c3f74c30c84.png

I ordered these and built one for my Kidd while I am waiting on the Smoke Composite.  I also built one for my MPX which had the buffer tube adapter.  Fit really nice inside the threaded end of the buffer tube that was cut off.  Easy to adjust LOP between the two guns.  

Question:  Is the shoulder plate on the left end with the hole and bent angle at the bottom a homemade piece or purchased?  

Thanks

7 hours ago, Hoops said:

Question:  Is the shoulder plate on the left end with the hole and bent angle at the bottom a homemade piece or purchased?  

Home made.   Piece of home depot aluminum, hacksaw and a file.      Glad the CF tubes are working for you.   Lots of imagination on how to use cheap CF tubes ( shooting umbrellas, carts, tables, etc )   

As an FYI, a wooden dowel weighed either less or about the same as the CF tube if I recall, but it just didn't look as cool.    @HoopsPost up some pics of your project; 

3 hours ago, jrdoran said:

Home made.   Piece of home depot aluminum, hacksaw and a file.      Glad the CF tubes are working for you.   Lots of imagination on how to use cheap CF tubes ( shooting umbrellas, carts, tables, etc )   

As an FYI, a wooden dowel weighed either less or about the same as the CF tube if I recall, but it just didn't look as cool.    @HoopsPost up some pics of your project; 

KIDD chassis.  Freshlt painted candy apple red with the CF buttstock I built (Smoke Composite hopefully to arrive soon).  This configuration with the longer C-More slideride is 4 lbs 2 oz.  with CF stock.  I use the same longer C-More slideride on my other 10/22's and 15/22's.  The body is a bit long and causes the overhang because I want/need eye relief distance on all of them to be same.  The weight between ModShot's, Wiland and now the Kidd are all within 2 oz of each other.  

I really like the feel of this configuration.  This has a Wiland barrel with foam over handguard.  Comfortable.

265933814_KiddRed.jpg.5d17a3e18d17238097c11543707dddd1.jpg

1 minute ago, jrdoran said:

Super cool. 👏

Tell me again the who makes the foam ?  ( Chubby ?? )  Looks thicker than home depot variety.   

Thanks.

Crazy Ivan.  He sells these for his chassis'.  He has two sizes.  One smaller OD.  Pic shows his larger OD version he calls Chubby.  It has thicker wall hence large OD.  Good for cheekweld on CF tube butt stocks.  For me anyway.  I have one each on ModShot and the Wiland.    Rubbing alcohol and inch worm/twist and goes on easy.

Blowing compressed air under the foam allows it to go on and reposition easily.  I was talking to one of the assemblers at Odin Works the other day and he told me he struggled to get the foam onto the Zulu 2.0 stock until he was shown that trick.  Now it only takes a second to install.  Use compressed air to remove as well.

1 hour ago, cbrussell said:

This has been a great thread! How and what “iron sights” would you install on the KIDD chassis? I would like a fiber optic front sight.

Thanks.

The chassis doesn't have anything to do with it.  If you have an iron sighted Ruger now and are dropping it into a Kidd chassis and stock, the only thing you have to look out for is stock height.  If you are using someone else's barrel, check with them.

1 hour ago, cbrussell said:

This has been a great thread! How and what “iron sights” would you install on the KIDD chassis? I would like a fiber optic front sight.

Thanks.

I'll be 70 in a few months so my iron sight days are long gone.  But I do have a couple of comments:

Kidd chassis is similar to an AR in that it accepts a mill spec buffer tube.  Because of this, the height of the butt stock is fixed in relation to the top rail.  No vertical adjustment.  Rear sights attach to the chassis but the front sight would need to be already on the barrel or clamped.  You might call Kidd.  They are very helpful on the phone.

ModShot is similar but they have a smaller proprietary but stock tube to like the Kidd, it has no vertical movement.  

Wiland however, does offer for sale with thier new chassis, ajustable height rear sights and clamp on adjustable front sights sized for their barrels.  The Wiland chassis was designed with iron sight shooters in mind and the elevation of their butt stock can be lowered which helps align the iron sights.  Wiland makes note of this in thier description in their website.

Taccom's new delrin chassis offers a straight butt stock screw in tube and also one that is angled down.  I assume the angled down butt stock better suits iron sights.

These of my thoughts.  Perhaps others with more knowledge than me can/will comment.