Kidd Chassis

Hoops

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm seeing more and more metal chassis 10/22s at steel matches.  The Wiland chassis seems to be the new hotness.  I'm considering the Kidd because I can set it up to shoulder the same as my PCC.  I talked to them yesterday and they told me they saw no reason it would not work with the Zulu 2 stock I want to use.

I have 2 chassis with fixed butt stocks.   Nice but I keep leaning to how my MPX PCCO feels which has drawn me to the Kidd or perhaps new Wiland.  

Kidd has 30 day return (not scratched up) so I ordered one today to see how it feels with buffer tube and butt stock.  10/22’s are more “in line” than AR style platform so I’m interested if I would want adjustable cheek riser.  Will see.

Thanks for input.

I had looked at the TACCOM chassis.  Since I have 2 ModShot's that have a similar butt stock to the TACCOM I leaned towards Kidd.  I also purchased a Wiland chassis with the adjustable cheek riser.  Wiland has not shipped.  Kidd is due today.  I am hoping to get the Wiland inside of the Kidd 30 day return policy so I can compare them side-by-side.

My Kidd chassis shipped today.  The Odin Works Zulu 2.0 stock I want to use with it shipped yesterday.  If the Zulu works on the Kidd, I'll keep the Kidd.  If not it goes back.  I went the super light route with the Axiom stock.  I find the wiggle in the butt annoying.  Mainly, I have to conform myself to the stock rather than vice versa.  At 73 I'm not so flexible anymore.  So I've decided to set my PCC and RFRO so they both fit me and are the same.  I know this will add weight to both, but the weight will be in the rear.  Both have Wiland barrels, so they transition quickly.   I went with the Kidd because I want to have the same stock and configuration on both guns.

@zzt Steve, we think alike.    Per the attached pic ( ruger pcc in black ) , I too have setup PCCO and RFRO identical. 

As an original modshot adopter, Could some of you explain the value prop of the Taccom and Wiland Chassis over modshot ?   This is not a defensive statement, I'd like to better understand.    I plan to build an AR based PCC platform this winter and want to continue to have the feel / placement be the same between the 2 guns.

image.thumb.png.653b24546a4192c7ef92f2280c7f0927.png

Edited by jrdoran

2 hours ago, jrdoran said:

@zzt Steve, we think alike.    Per the attached pic ( ruger pcc in black ) , I too have setup PCCO and RFRO identical. 

As an original modshot adopter, Could some of you explain the value prop of the Taccom and Wiland Chassis over modshot ?   This is not a defensive statement, I'd like to better understand.    I plan to build an AR based PCC platform this winter and want to continue to have the feel / placement be the same between the 2 guns.

I'll try.......So I like to think as the owner of TACCOM, we are not in competition with Modshot, Wiland, Kidd or any other company that makes a chassis for the 10/22.....that market is just too big to be dominated by any one maker. If I had 1% of the 10/22 market that would be like 160,000 chassis......I don't think I could make that many chassis's in 5 years.......but damn, if I could.....I'm retiring!!! And at 1%, this is NOT dominating the market at all. (FYI about 16 million 10/22s out there). Soooooo.....non of us are competing for your dollars. If you don't like what one company is offering, buy from the other.....someone will buy from that one company, because they like what they are offering and at the price point they are comfortable with.

The perfect chassis is the one that YOU think is the best for you and your pocket book. I really can't definitively say why one is better than the other for you.......I can however, say that for myself. I can give selling points on our product.....but I will not disrespect the others out there.

What's cool is that there are a ton of options out there.....go for what YOU like.....look at what just might work for you, the price, the quality, the customer service, etc. THAT is what makes one chassis more valuable for you. It all boils down to an opinion......and you know what they say about opinions. :)

Sound like a fair answer?

Edited by TRUBL

Hey Tim, current and future happy customer ;  please take this with the fun and spirited reply  I mean to convey.  🙂 

You did not answer the question;   What is the value proposition and features that differentiate one chassis setup from the other.    Your addressable market is NOT all 10/22; No bullseye shooter gives a rats ass about lightweight chassis.  Neither do most beer can shooters.  Your market is 90% steel challenge.  Largest growing segment I'm sure of competition shooting. 

Don't give me BS about pocketbook , choices, and feel.  Taste great vs less filling.   That is not how people make purchases and word of mouth at matches / internet will be based around characteristics.   I'm all for each having strengths for different uses and shooters.  If you can't tell me in 2 sentences why your product addresses specific needs then why would I buy it instead of one of the others.   If you don't think you are in competition with Wiland / modshot in the ultra lightweight 10/22 chassis market then you don't know your customers.  Everyone of them asks themselves this question unless they are blindly making a purchase.  

Taccom pioneered the shrouded 9mm pcc barrel.  Others have followed.  Modshot pioneered the ULW chassis, others have followed.     What are your selling points and strengths ?   No need to trash the others, your strengths and unique features stand on their own.  I need a new 10/22 ULW for my wife;  how do I decide ? 

PS, I will be calling you for my 9mm AR build.  Your super feed barrel feeds hollow points better than any other that I have tested.    I noticed you were out of stock, but I'm hoping my snarky reply helps push me higher in the queue.   🙂 🍿 

Edited by jrdoran

21 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

PS, I will be calling you are my first call for my 9mm AR build.  I noticed you were out of stock, but I'm hoping my snarky reply helps push me higher in the queue.   🙂 

Being snarky.....puts you down to the bottom!! HAHA.......no, when we finally get those barrels back in stock (by Christmas), we will have a ton of them, you will have no problem getting one.

The selling points of our chassis?

1) Absolute lightest chassis on the market. It's made out of Delrin, stupid strong and about 1/2 the weight of anything made out of aluminum.

2) works with left handed bolts (and if you have one that doesn't fit.....the derlin is super easy to whittle down)

3) The Forearm is carbon fiber and super light, pretty much adds nothing to the swing weight. And it can be cut down to be shorter if you wanted to.

4) Pretty much take all AR15 grips.....the one's with the beaver tails need to be cut off

5) The optional ULW butt stocks are available in specified lengths of pull.....the angled BS allows for iron sight use at the Ruger factory height. Or you can use any BS that screws into an AR15 lower.

6) We are more than competitive on price

7) I like to think that we have great customer service.....I tend to answer the phone, or call you back.

8. We machine these in house and the quality of the machining and the fit and finish is awesome!!

My personal 10/22 in our chassis, with our ULW BS, our barrel and a 507C.....comes in at just under 3.5 pounds. And I am using a LuthAR chubby grip!!!

Edited by TRUBL

Jim, I cannot speak to the Taccom.  I've only seen Tim's Pictures/posts on it.  I really considered the Wiland because is more adjustable than the Modshot or the CMT.  There are disadvantages in that some of the adjustments are in discrete steps.  You can adjust the buffer tube up or down to accommodate either iron or optics and it stays parallel to the bore.  The other adjustments are obvious.  There are infinite adjustments with the Zulu 2.0 stock, so you are not locked into anything.  The disadvantage is added weight.

You take the Wiland chassis kit as is.  The Kidd is just a chassis that takes standard AR-15 parts.  This is the stock I plan to put on my PCC. It has all the adjustments I want except being able to tilt the butt plate in the vertical angle.  The Limbsaver pad is contoured to do that, so no biggie.  It will give me the additional LoP and adjustments I need to be comfortable.  Tony says there is no reason this stock won't work on his 10/22 chassis.  So I'm going to give it a try.  For the PCC the Zulu 2.0 has an intermediate length buffer tube with a secondary spring assembly in the rear.  That assembly allows you to use a standard carbine length spring.  I'm hoping it reduces buffer bounce when short stroking.  That would be a plus for wimpy loads with light buffers and springs.  If not, okay.  I'm really buying it for the adjustability.

Supreme Firearms | Odin Stock Zulu 2.0 W/padded

Rec'd Kidd std chassis yesterday afternoon.  I was able to get to the range for an hour of shooting.  Initial comments:

1.  Wt. with MOE SL buttstock, lightweight Magpul 15 degree grip and Wiland sleeved black barrel,  the build is 7.9 oz heavier than my two Modshot builds.  I run the same make of red dot on all of my 10/22's.  Because the added wt. is from the castle nut, buffer tube and the adjustable butt stock the weight is distributed in the back half of the gun.  In the low ready position, swinging up and transitions, the gun feels very light........very similar to my ModShot's.

2.  The best feature that I like is the built-in hand guard.  My ModShot's are 26" from end of butt plate to the CF adjustable hand/palm grip.  This distance is comfortable for me.  The Kidd dimension from end of buttstock to front end of the handguard is identical and LOP is essentially the same to the ModShot.  I really like the feel of the Kidd handguard.  It is 1 1/2" wide and from bottom of handguard to top of barrel it is the same..... 1 1/2".  There is taper on each side of the handguard that is very comfortable.

3.  Kidd's reciever's are different from std 10/22's and the stock comes with a small plate that covers the rear slot.  The front take-down screw set up is std and recessed.  However, to make thier chassis compatible with other 10/22 recievers (mine are Magnum Research switchbolt's), they have a cone shaped, pointed end set-screw that is inserted and adjusted thru the buffer tube screw hole that holds the rear action in place.  According to Kidd, drop the barrel and trigger assembly in as usual, then hand tight the set screw until the rear of the trigger/reciever is snug in place.  Once adjusted, the barrel and trigger can be removed and inserted normally.  NOTE:  During my range shooting the trigger group losened up a bit and allowed the barrel and reciever to see-saw rock a bit.  Called Kidd.  They said to put a bit more pressure on the screw and blue loctite is okay.  I have done this and will shoot again today/tomorrow to see if it remains tight.  This is the only thing about the chassis that I did'nt like but if it performs then not an issue for me.

4.  The Kidd set up felt good/comfortable while shooting.  Good transition control.  I also ran my ModShot set up.  My Kidd average times on Roundabout were very similar to my times using the ModShot.  On basis of just "feel", the Kidd was slightly more comfortable.....but very close.  I like them both.  

5.  Right now, I am keeping the Kidd.  I am waiting on the Wiland new chassis to do a similar comparison.  Hopefull it will arrive within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

@Hoops  Nice information;  Could you post a pic of the 2 side by side  ( Kidd / Modshot );   I'm familiar with Kidd's holdddown setscrew;  It works well and is very useful for accuracy in bullseye.   

I'm having a hard time visualizing the hand guard differences vs palm grip;   I'm not sure why the buffer tube would be much heavier.  Castle nut yes, adjustable stock yes; but the tube could easily be replaced with carbon fiber via amazon as I did on my ruger PCC for $12;  

@zztThat Zulu stock is way cool and solves the issue of bringing the dot higher up. https://www.odinworks.com/Zulu_2_0_Adjustable_Stock_Kit_p/os-zulu-kit.htm

4 hours ago, jrdoran said:

but the tube could easily be replaced with carbon fiber via amazon as I did on my ruger PCC for $12;  

Can't find that Jim.  Please send a link.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Can't find that Jim.  Please send a link.  Thanks.

These fit perfect into a standard ar15 buffer tube that I cut off.  I then epoxied the CF tube into the stub of the metal buffer tube if you follow.  I even used the female hole on the end to mount the shoulder pad that I made.       This is only for .22 rimfire  or ruger PCC ( not a real buffer tube with spring ) ;    

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8G9J94/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.2891ba1f7abbeb53f3759c3f74c30c84.png

Edited by jrdoran

6 hours ago, jrdoran said:

@Hoops  Nice information;  Could you post a pic of the 2 side by side  ( Kidd / Modshot );   I'm familiar with Kidd's holdddown setscrew;  It works well and is very useful for accuracy in bullseye.   

I'm having a hard time visualizing the hand guard differences vs palm grip;   I'm not sure why the buffer tube would be much heavier.  Castle nut yes, adjustable stock yes; but the tube could easily be replaced with carbon fiber via amazon as I did on my ruger PCC for $12;  

@zztThat Zulu stock is way cool and solves the issue of bringing the dot higher up. https://www.odinworks.com/Zulu_2_0_Adjustable_Stock_Kit_p/os-zulu-kit.htm

First time to post pictures on the forum so not sure how this will come thru.

From the take down screw to the tip of the handguard (Kidd) and palm grip (ModShot) the dimensions are:

Kidd: 7 1/4"

ModShot:  8" (I use the forward postion)

From top of barrel to bottom of handguard or palm grip is:

Kidd:  1 1/2" (the bottom width of the handguard is 1 1/2")

ModShot:  2 3/8" (the bottom width of the palm swell is 1 1/4")

I run 12 3/4" LOP on both

Eye relief from end of buttstock to front of lens is 16"

Butt stock to end of handguard or palm grip:

Kidd:  25 1/2"

Modshot: 26 1/4"

Overall length:

Kidd:  33 1/2 (Wiland barrel)

ModShot: 34 1/4" (Magnum Research barrel)

The majority of weight difference is from the butt Magpul butt stock.  The fixed CF rear tube and aluminum butt plate on the Modshot are very light.

I have red Modshot set up exactly the same as the blue one shown.

1176776506_PicModshotandKidd.jpg.bbe9316ee72382435b135a177644a25c.jpg

Right now I am almost done with a Deep Six chassis lightweight hunting build. Just waiting on the suppressor approval from ATF and new bipod I just ordered. My Deep Six chassis build has a Briley barrel, CST receiver and bolt and a JMac Customs folding stock.

Here is my lightweight 10/22 build. It is built on a Kidd Tactical Chassis. Total weight including magazine and suppressor is 84.92 ounces/5.31 pounds. Here is the component list:

-Kidd Tactical Chassis
-Ruger 10/22 receiver with Kidd Aftermarket Rear Tang 
-Kidd Bolt
-Volquartsen Ultralite Carbon Fiber Barrel 
-Kidd Bolt Handle Charging Assembly with Guide Rod & Spring
-Battle Arms Development Sabertube (Rifle Length) with Buttstock
-Kidd Single Stage Trigger
-Hogue Polymer Pistol Grip
-Trijicon RMR 1.0 MOA Red-dot
-MaddMac’s Precision Tactical RMR Mounting Base
-Spartan 300 Bipod
-Mask HD Suppressor
-Ergo M-Lok Enhanced Angled Grip

50681555637_d763bf2833_h.jpg

50680712653_46afe28bec_h.jpg

Edited by bigdude

We reintroduced our old 22LR BS from years ago for the 10/22 Chassis system......super light, carbon fiber and delrin. 

Also, something we are working for our chassis, is a picatinny railed back end and a 4 way adjustable Butt Stock, should be coming online sometime in January?

buttstock.jpg

Edited by TRUBL

15 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

We reintroduced our old 22LR BS from years ago for the 10/22 Chassis system......super light, carbon fiber and delrin. 

Also, something we are working for our chassis, is a picatinny railed back end and a 4 way adjustable Butt Stock, should be coming online sometime in January?

buttstock.jpg

Tim, what’s the length of these tubes and overall length for the whole assembly? Thanks.

1 hour ago, TRUBL said:

I would use this today rather than build my own.  I particularly like the function of the angled BS despite the looks. 

Looks like you can customize the LoP;   @George16  https://taccom3g.com/product/ulw-buttstock/

image.thumb.png.dd5466bf8bcde2ad38dda2b91970eeb7.png

Edited by jrdoran