Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 Federal Match Primers

Lots of folks have never had an issue with Federal primers in a 650.  I am in that camp as are the replies above

From what I have seen though folks that have had primers chain react and blow have typically said they were using Federals (softer).  From that I will always make sure I have eye protection on when reloading and 'listen' to what the stroke is telling me.  Don't force a primer in and keep the area clean ... but of course I do that with what ever primers I am using as that is just a good protocol to follow

Clean the primer tubes clean by sending a wad of paper towel soaked in brake clean through them -with the black low primer rod.  And don’t forget the main tube inside the assembly as well.  The tubes get dirty with priming compound over time.

Clean the primer tubes clean by sending a wad of paper towel soaked in brake clean through them -with the black low primer rod.  And don’t forget the main tube inside the assembly as well.  The tubes get dirty with priming compound over time.

+++1111
Great advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Years ago, right after Obama's first term election when primers were in very short supply, I bought two 1,000 round cartons of Federal small pistol primers as that was all I could find.  I had occasional feeding and crushed primer issues with them in my 650 that I never had with my usual WSPs.  

I called Federal and their Tech guy asked me to send a few loaded rounds with the problem primers.  Once they inspected them he said they had had some sizing problems due to running production absolutely flat-out to keep up.  He couldn't send me replacement primers but did send a check to cover the cost of replacements.

I don't know how long it took them to get this resolved as I went back to Winchester after that.

Ive loaded thousands, no 10's of thousands, of federal primers on a 650 and 1050 in both 9mm and .40 cal. never had a single issue that could be related to the primers. They load just like CCI and Winchester. All basically with no unusual problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Have been loading Federal for years, not continuously but periodically, in the tens of thousands. Never had an issue with the SDB or the 550. With the 650 I get the occasional sideways primer. I also listen to what the push is telling me. 

As a sidebar, I have found that regular Q tips work perfectly for cleaning primer tubes. Dip the head in alcohol and push it down with the rod. They come out green.