Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to reloading

Arthgallo

1 hour ago, Arthgallo said:

I’m looking for advice on reloading equipment that won’t empty my bank account. 

Where's the info?

How many rounds a month?

What's your $$$ limit?

How many calibers?

Do you own any equipment now?

8 minutes ago, Arthgallo said:

9mm, .223, .380, maybe 38 special. I have nothing so far. Have a quote from Dillion 550c for about $1900. Trying to trim it down a little. 

Something wrong with this pricing. 550s dropped in price with the release of the 750. My 550 was $750 brand new a lot of years ago. Even the extra heads wouldn't drive the price up that high. Mine was set for 45acp, 38 split, 380. My friend has it since I went back to using my Star for 45acp. The Dillon is being set up for 9mm. 

Edited by Bobkoh

11 minutes ago, Arthgallo said:

9mm, .223, .380, maybe 38 special. I have nothing so far. Have a quote from Dillion 550c for about $1900. Trying to trim it down a little. 

If you are on a budget, the amount of rounds is pretty important.  I would seem you are trying to do too much all at once without fully understanding the time it takes to load all of those calibers.  I would start with one caliber being the one you shoot the most.  Then you can see what your budget is for components to shoot that many rounds.    Components will take a chunk out of your budget.  Your time should be a consideration as well.  Prepping brass is a time suck.  Loading can be a time suck depending on the number of rounds you intend to load/shoot.  I started with 9mm.  I will move to .223 next.  Due to my time available to load I would be hard pressed to load more than 2 calibers and make it worth my time.    All things to keep in mind.

Edited by Boomstick303

A dillon 750 is superior to the 550.  Don't spend $1900 on a 550.  You're getting hosed!

Get the press with the caliber conversion you're going to load most.  Another way to save money is to buy the pieces from the other calibers you need.  Use the link below (650/750) to determine what parts are interchangeable for the calibers you want to load.

http://thegunwiki.com/apps/calconversion/index.asp

• 1 month later...

I grew up loading on Lee presses, but graduated after about 10 years to a Dillion 750, wow what a difference. I still use my Lee presses when changing load data and doing small batch stuff.. Lee is a great way to start and learn I think, but it really depends on your quantity, time, and money, you could skip it and go straight to a Dillion, and never look back.

Edited by ts199982