Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best pistol for production idpa/uspsa, emphasis on speed as #1 and accuracy as #2.

The one you have.
As a newer shooter any mainstream 4-5" service sized 9mm will do, you will learn the game, see some guns, shoot some guns see what you like and dont like, and what is legal and not legal. Also the games have different divisions and equipment rules wich may or may not crossover.
It makes ZERO sense for a new shooter or new competitor in anysport really to run out and buy a bunch of gear only to find out it doesnt work for them or the game.
Get a full size Glock, M&P , XDM, CZ, Walther, some basic kydex, a decent belt , handful of magazines, a couple cases of ammo,  and some classes.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

The one you have.
As a newer shooter any mainstream 4-5" service sized 9mm will do, you will learn the game, see some guns, shoot some guns see what you like and dont like, and what is legal and not legal. Also the games have different divisions and equipment rules wich may or may not crossover.
It makes ZERO sense for a new shooter or new competitor in anysport really to run out and buy a bunch of gear only to find out it doesnt work for them or the game.
Get a full size Glock, M&P , XDM, CZ, Walther, some basic kydex, a decent belt , handful of magazines, a couple cases of ammo,  and some classes.

Good point. Thank you.

1 minute ago, himurax13 said:

If you want to play both games than any of these should suffice.

SP01 Shadow
Glock 17/34
M&P 9
Sig P320
Tanfoglio Limited Pro

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Good list, XDM's also rock in my opinion. Just bought a Tanfo Stock 1 for my other game gun. Should work nice as a backup for my USPSA rig (Tanfo Stock 3), would have gone with a Limited Pro but didn't want to mess with needing different holsters.

This thread and the 1,000,000 other  "best production gun threads" got me to thinking, so i looked it up and am pretty sure only 5 guns (or slight variations of them) have won production nationals, so one of these must be the best; tangfolio, glock 34, beretta 92, xd tactical, or a para lda if you can find it.  So there you, go a definitive list of the best guns in production.

(yes this is tongue in cheek, but i thought it was interesting none the less)

4 hours ago, RJH said:

This thread and the 1,000,000 other  "best production gun threads" got me to thinking, so i looked it up and am pretty sure only 5 guns (or slight variations of them) have won production nationals, so one of these must be the best; tangfolio, glock 34, beretta 92, xd tactical, or a para lda if you can find it.  So there you, go a definitive list of the best guns in production.

(yes this is tongue in cheek, but i thought it was interesting none the less)

Great list. Thank you!

I was on thr XDM webpage,, those new elites with the factory funnels look pretty nice. But only in 9mm and looks like they have dropped 40's completely. Wonder if USPSA would consider those grips factory under CO rules, or call it an add on funnel.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 7:48 PM, Joe4d said:

I was on thr XDM webpage,, those new elites with the factory funnels look pretty nice. But only in 9mm and looks like they have dropped 40's completely. Wonder if USPSA would consider those grips factory under CO rules, or call it an add on funnel.

It's a magwell and will be treated as such in uspsa, just like the once that comes on the sig.

On 8/23/2020 at 9:39 PM, Joe4d said:

The one you have.

This should be a sticky and required reading in every shooting forum in the world.

I've lost track of how many times I've seen someone post "I bought xyz tricked out gun to go shoot abc sport" only to be told sorry it doesn't fit within the rules at all or you'll be massively disadvantaged under whichever rules it fits in.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:39 PM, Joe4d said:

The one you have.

On point advice.  Shoot what you have for now and shoot as many guns as people will let you.  Most it will come down to how the guns fits your hand and how you shoot it.  

Something to consider with that healthy budget is include 2 guns in that budget if you are going to be serious about shooting in dynamic shooting sports.  If you are going to shoot a division that requires and optic that should include 2 optics as well.  Optics should be handled as consumables.  It is not a matter of if they malfunction, it will be one of when it malfunctions.  Few things worse on waiting for an optic to be serviced and not having a spare.