Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ HIRERCHY

Ozy

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 10:34 AM, PhotoRecon said:

1. TSO

2. Shadow 2 Orange

This is my feeling as well.

The TSO triggers are very nice. And they fit my hand better than any 2011.

The S2O in my opinion, as far as double action triggers go (if you like them, I don't) they are good, but I have factory Beretta 92's with triggers that are almost as good, just as smooth, just not as light.

The grips from the factory on all CZ's are unimpressive, I changed the grips on all three of my Oranges to Lok grips. Highly recommended.

20 hours ago, rsn_tx said:

Kinda surprised no one mentioned a CZ 97. Guess even w/major pf the biggest caliber people go with is 40 cal?

Pretty much. I'm not going to recap all of the generic ".40 vs. .45" arguments, but in the case of CZs in particular, magazine capacity is a deciding factor. CZ-97 mags only have a capacity of 10 rounds. That's kind of silly, given the size of the frame, but it was designed with an eye for import into the US while the AWB was in force, so it is what it is. A bone-stock TSO in .40 has a capacity of 16, and you can get that up to 19-20 with extensions and low-profile followers. Henning makes Tanfo magazine extensions that will fit a CZ-97 mag, but I think they only get you up to 12 rounds (though I haven't tried that personally, so I could be wrong).

If you're going to be limited to 10 rounds anyway, sure? I guess? L10 (bleagh) might be a place where it makes sense, but you open yourself back up to all of the standard .40 vs. .45 arguments there. The only competition shooting niche where they really make sense, as far as I can tell, is Heavy Metal in 3 gun, or at least the variations on it that require a .45 pistol, since most of them cap magazine capacity at 10 anyway. I actually bought one not too long ago precisely for that particular application. It's... okay.

To bring it back to the OP's question: having owned a few of the "high-end" CZs that he listed (and having shot a couple of the ones that I don't own), the 97 isn't even anywhere in the same ballpark. It's nice enough by service pistol standards, and I think that with a little work, you can make something really nice, but out of the box, that's exactly what it is: a service pistol. The Shadow 2s, TSOs, Czechmates, etc. are built from the ground up for competition (and the custom/semi-custom options like the Accushadow even moreso), and have WAY better triggers and sights, and in some cases are even fit a little tighter for better accuracy.

Of course, all those different options are priced accordingly; for the price of a S2/TSO/etc. you could probably buy a stock CZ-97 and have it worked over by CZC or CGW and get something roughly comparable in quality. But even then, you run into the logistical difficulties described above.

ok ,so far got, shadow 2 orange, bull shadow cxc with red dot mount, shadow 2 sao, and cz75 pcr czc tuned...... they are all nice but the bull shadow is a incredible!

Edited by Ozy

in terms of versatility and overall function I think the pound for pound winner is a shadow 2.  IMO the "best" or highest end shadow out of the box from CZ, not a CZC, its a TSO.  to justify that, I think it will have the best trigger, and the tightest tolerances.  my TSO slide was so tight. could barely pull it off the gun, and only loosened up after a few thousand rounds.  the internals were mirror like finished inside the slide surfaces.  it was almost if the gun was hand fit.  I don't get that off a shadow 2.  

Not sure if a Czechmate is like this too, but I have known 6 or so people who tried to run Czechmates and they all somehow suck and all sell em.  for this reason, I put the TSO at the top of the standard CZ roster.  That being said, i shoot 9 mm divisions, and generally like my shadow 2s personally.  get it don't just the same, I just don't think they are as tight and "hand fit feeling" out of the box. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 8:53 PM, IF788 said:

in terms of versatility and overall function I think the pound for pound winner is a shadow 2.  IMO the "best" or highest end shadow out of the box from CZ, not a CZC, its a TSO.  to justify that, I think it will have the best trigger, and the tightest tolerances.  my TSO slide was so tight. could barely pull it off the gun, and only loosened up after a few thousand rounds.  the internals were mirror like finished inside the slide surfaces.  it was almost if the gun was hand fit.  I don't get that off a shadow 2.  

Not sure if a Czechmate is like this too, but I have known 6 or so people who tried to run Czechmates and they all somehow suck and all sell em.  for this reason, I put the TSO at the top of the standard CZ roster.  That being said, i shoot 9 mm divisions, and generally like my shadow 2s personally.  get it don't just the same, I just don't think they are as tight and "hand fit feeling" out of the box. 

The CM has a tighter fit up than the TSO. I think the CM struggles with major power factor ammunition commonly loaded for 2011 which leads to it's reputation for poor reliability. My buddy had (I bought it) a CM that he struggled to get running right with minor power factor ammo and I had it working perfect in about 10 minutes. TSO's and CM's, as best as I can tell, don't work well with 9mm ammo loaded long. My 40 TSO is an absolute machine and never fails to function but with a 9mm barrel it chokes on anything over 1.130". 

Lists are subjective but here's mine, it pretty much mirrors CZ's pricing stratification:

CM

TSO

S2O

S2

S1

3 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

Who makes it then?  Forgive my ignorance...  

CZ Custom.  It's the CZ design, but theyve machined the frame and other critical parts themselves, making for very tight tolerances.  Not "made by CZ" but is the CZ design.

Just now, teros135 said:

CZ Custom.  It's the CZ design, but theyve machined the frame and other critical parts themselves, making for very tight tolerances.  Not "made by CZ" but is the CZ design.

Piece of junk.  I'm gonna throw mine away and use my Shadow 2

8 minutes ago, 18111811 said:

how did you come to that conclusion?  what is bad about it

I'm being facetious...  I asked what I thought was a legit question about why the A01 wasn't on the list and seemed to get scorned for asking it... 

Edited by Bdh821

5 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

I'm being facetious...  I asked what I thought was a legit questions about why the A01 wasn't on the list and seemed to get scorned for asking it... 

Sorry if you took my response the wrong way.  I'm a CZ fan (and cz custom and Cajun Gun Works) and was trying to answer the question asked. 

3 hours ago, teros135 said:

Sorry if you took my response the wrong way.  I'm a CZ fan (and cz custom and Cajun Gun Works) and was trying to answer the question asked. 

It's all good brother!  This is just internet message forums...  I don't let this ruin my day 😁

But now that I read some specific peoples history of posts, I think by saying the A01 is a CZ offended a CZ fanboy... 🤣😂  I hope they're a GM...

Edited by Bdh821

My ranking is as follows from easiest to shoot accurately on top:

1. Czechmate (great trigger with little recoil)  scale grips

2. Shadow II unmodified except for lock grips

3.Shadow I Target II (CZ Customs)scale grips

4. CZ 75 SDP (Cz Customs)