Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ HIRERCHY

Ozy

Question to all you cz aficionados-

With today’s offerings from cz, how would you rank the best model , pound for pound in terms of comfort, accuracy, trigger pulls,and overall reliability.

shadow2

accushadow

shadow target, 

sp-01 shadow.

shadow 2 orange

ts orange sa

shadow 2 sa

any other model?

Well, I have an Sp01 Shadow, a TSO, and a P07...and have shot a Shadow 2, Czechmate, Parrot, numerous other SP01's, Rami, P10, and plain old base model CZ75's. 

The Czechmate and Parrot both have the same geometry that the TSO uses, so they feel essentially identical in the hand as the TSO. The SP01 Shadow 1 has a little bit different geometry than the S2, and I prefer the S1. The others are further down the list than those. 

I would say the TSO and those that share the same geometry as first, the S1 SP01 2nd.

Well, I have a SP01 which was my second handgun ever and it still runs awesome.

I had a TS (not O) SA as well, which I liked, but the precision was very poor, and that´s why I sold it..

It is a very heavy gun, but because of the trigger and the weight at the front, I would rate it higher than the SP01.

Have shot a Shadow 2 several times, which is in between the first two.

Never have shot the others.

A lot of the models you listed are CZ Custom models made from the basic models. I have found all the CZ Custom customized offerings to be improvements over the standard retail model but not a lot better. You can have the same revisions done to a retail gun.  CJ Mavin in Arkansas is a good guy to do those. He belongs to this forum.

I am ignoring the customized models and sticking to the standard CZ offerings. In my opinion the Shadow 2 is an excellent gun with few peers from anyone. Best of breed for sure. The SP01 is an older model that came between the original Shadow and the Shadow 2. I like it. The grip geometry feels better to some people especially those with small hands. The SP01 also is a good IDPA gun. I haven't done IDPA recently having switched entirely to USPSA, but I believe the Shadow 2 is still outside the IDPA weight limits. If you are interested in IDPA check that out carefully.

The TS models which I think TSO is the only one currently are supposedly very good if you want a .40 cal for USPSA Limited Division. If you don't do competition and more narrowly USPSA Limited do not buy a 40. It's expensive to shoot, requires that you reload to get the best match of ammo with the gun for competition. In this world nobody needs a 40 except for the above reason. The 9 mm Shadows are the best 9 mm options. Not even the FBI shoots 40 anymore and they encourage local police to go to 9mm.

The other problems with TSO are they are single action. Not the best choice for just plinking around. Unfortunately since most Limited shooters eventually go to custom 2011's, the TSO is just a transition gun for Limited Division. It is not cheap and acceptable 2011's can be had for slightly more to 3 times more money. If you shoot Limited you will eventually go to 2011 so why stop along the way.

Of the guns you mentioned the Shadow 2 is the one to get (except for IDPA). The customized options from CZ Custom are well worth considering but not necessary. You can shoot a Shadow 2 right out of the box in USPSA Production Division. If you get serious you'll probably consider some upgrades to it. 

Great input from all! Thank you. Would welcome additional view and experiences.

i shoot open and limited divisions at uspsa, and use svi infinity pistols. 

the cz “ bug” is more of an afterthought ,expanding my collection in to uncharted territories, but wish to maximize my selection based on those who have had extensive trigger time with the  current crop of cz offerings.

1. Shadow 2 variants

2. TacSport variants, preferably the later Orange version

3. Any non firing pin block, aka Shadow, 75/SP01 based models

4. P10 variants

4. (TIE) CM variants

6. The Rest

8 hours ago, BadShot said:

When I opened up my Shadow 2 Orange to do the internal polishing, it was amazing how the machining was so much better compared to my other CZ's.

That's what happens when your parts are hand selected.

9 hours ago, BadShot said:

When I opened up my Shadow 2 Orange to do the internal polishing, it was amazing how the machining was so much better compared to my other CZ's.

Is this a new era of production process for CZ, or just a special run for the S2 orange?

On 8/21/2020 at 5:40 PM, Ozy said:

With today’s offerings from cz, how would you rank the best model , pound for pound in terms of comfort, accuracy, trigger pulls,and overall reliability.

Reliability s2 and s1 before TS/TSO/Czeckmate/Parrot .  I am not saying the later are bad but the might need a little work to make them perfect.  
Best model really depends on you and your game, almost like asking which Toyota is better a Tacoma or a Camry. 
The answer is it depends.  The S1 and S2 are extremely reliable other than slide stops and trigger return springs.  Also magazines are a non issue the just work at least until the need higher power springs. 
My favorites are the S1 variants with the S1 orange on top but the difference in price is too much for me as the basic one with a 12 or 11.5 lbs hammer spring, S2 sights and a solid trigger pin is good enough for me but I would not complain if I got an orange for free. 
The Ts/Tso are well liked for limited but I prefer the TS or Tangfolio because of the larger grips. 
The best advice would be to hold them or shoot them and you will know which one is for you. Then you can decide on how fancy you want to get after you decided on the form factor and the game you want to play. 
Also I f you buy one and you don’t like it, then you can always gift it to me. 

Edited by KlausN

21 hours ago, KlausN said:

Reliability s2 and s1 before TS/TSO/Czeckmate/Parrot .  I am not saying the later are bad but the might need a little work to make them perfect.  
Best model really depends on you and your game, almost like asking which Toyota is better a Tacoma or a Camry. 
The answer is it depends.  The S1 and S2 are extremely reliable other than slide stops and trigger return springs.  Also magazines are a non issue the just work at least until the need higher power springs. 
My favorites are the S1 variants with the S1 orange on top but the difference in price is too much for me as the basic one with a 12 or 11.5 lbs hammer spring, S2 sights and a solid trigger pin is good enough for me but I would not complain if I got an orange for free. 
The Ts/Tso are well liked for limited but I prefer the TS or Tangfolio because of the larger grips. 
The best advice would be to hold them or shoot them and you will know which one is for you. Then you can decide on how fancy you want to get after you decided on the form factor and the game you want to play. 
Also I f you buy one and you don’t like it, then you can always gift it to me. 

Thank you kindly. Great input and analogies. If I decide to gift you any of these “”” rubbish””” cz, would you like it wrapped?😀

Guns mesh with different people differently.  The A01-LD and I get along best of all the CZs.  I really prefer the smaller, rounded trigger guard.  Odd how such a small detail makes such a difference for me.  After that, the AccuShadow 2 and I get along great.    

9 hours ago, JBhunter45 said:

Another thing to consider, if the gun comes from the Custom Shop or CZ factory.

I used Oak Hills website to compare models, as its more detailed than CZ-USA or CZcustom.

Great point. I’ll check out his site.

8 hours ago, speedrrracer said:

Guns mesh with different people differently.  The A01-LD and I get along best of all the CZs.  I really prefer the smaller, rounded trigger guard.  Odd how such a small detail makes such a difference for me.  After that, the AccuShadow 2 and I get along great.    

So so true..... the A01 LD, seems like a formidable pistol....

21 hours ago, speedrrracer said:

Very true.   I wanted the next step above my SP-01 Shadow Target II, couldn't decide on which CZ I wanted.    After shooting a Shadow2 a friend has, something just wasn't right.    The transition from checkering and the grip in cut on the back strap just landed in the wrong place on the meaty part of my thumb (I wear XL mechanics gloves for reference, and prefer standard thickness grips on the SP-01).  I went with a SP-01 Orange over the Shadow2 Orange.   Although I ended up also getting a Tactical Sport Orange in .40 I have yet to pick up from my FFL.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:32 AM, Brooke said:

The grip geometry feels better to some people especially those with small hands.

You read that here (not just by Brooke) but the intro vid for the S2 from CZ talked a bit about designing that gun for a wider range of hand sizes and with input from the lady factory shooter, in any case 6'1 guy hands here and the SP01 variants fit me best. 

I've owned 2 75's an 85 a compact an SP01 an S2 and a TSO. TSO is not an apples to apples comparison so I will leave that out. For my nickel they are all accurate and reliable  and extremely similar under the hood, buy the one that fits best, for me that is S1/SP01 . 

I have Shadow 2 Orange, Shadow 2 OR, 2 Arcore Shadow 2s (matched pair with consecutive serial numbers and custom fitting by the factory) and a spare Shadow 2 frame, 3 Canadian Shadowmates (special editions that are basically Oranges) and 3 regular Shadows that have been worked over at the factory for me, a Shadow 2 Kadet kit and Shadow Kadet kit (slide and barrel assembly), 1 P10F and I had a P10C (one of the few guns I sold, hated it). The GF has 4 Canadian Shadowmates , 2 Shadow 2s, a Tactical Sport Orange and a Czechmate

I do not like the Czechmate, the TSO is meh, not a fan of single action triggers and safeties. So for me my ranking for the guns would be,

1 Shadow 2 Orange

2 Arcore Shadow 2s 

3 Shadow 2 OR

4 Canadian Shadowmates

5 Shadows

6 Glock 19

7 Glock 17

8 P10F

I'll probably sell the P10F at some point I just can't like it, no matter how hard I try. 

Edited by slavex