Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do They Make Hi-Cap Mags for Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite

nhglyn

Just curious, does anyone make hi cap (20+ rounds) magazines for the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite?  I fully understand that they would stick way out of the bottom but trying to find out if there is such a thing or not.  Thanks.

I've never seen or heard of one.  For some reason almost all "serious" .22lr semi-autos, Ruger, S&W, Browning, etc.,  come with 10-round magazines and there are no larger factory ones available.  

Years ago Ramline made aftermarket 12-round and 14-round magazines to fit the Ruger Mk-series guns but they have been out of business for a long time.  Good reason for that.  I had a couple for a MkII and they were unreliable.

TandemKross sells +1 Ruger magazine base pads that increase capacity to 11 and a Google search will turn up an article on how to make a standard Ruger magazine hold 12 rounds by modifying the follower, spring and spring guide.  

So nothing even close to 20-rounds.

• 11 months later...

The basic problem with hicap rimfire mags is unless you double-stack them, after 10-15 rounds, the rounds start to nose-dive due to the rim so even though you could make a bigger one, getting it to run is problematic.  I designed the +1, +2 and +3 basepads for the GSG mags and after that and a +3 follower, reliability took a major hit.

Ruger makes things more annoying because they fold the bottom mag lips in rather than out, which also provides a blocking mechanism.

Spring rate dying off causing the nose diving?

edited: nvm just pushed a few rounds out of the mag I completely get your point now. I’m surprised you got up to 3+ now lol

but actually would a stronger spring help that or no?

Edited by f1218

The only high capacity rimfire magazines I know of are made for rifles like the 10/22 and various AR-22 models.  These 15 and 25 round magazines have a noticeable curve to compensate for the rim diameter and that's impractical for a magazine to fit into a pistol's grip. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2021 at 10:34 PM, shred said:

The basic problem with hicap rimfire mags is unless you double-stack them, after 10-15 rounds, the rounds start to nose-dive due to the rim so even though you could make a bigger one, getting it to run is problematic.  I designed the +1, +2 and +3 basepads for the GSG mags and after that and a +3 follower, reliability took a major hit.

Ruger makes things more annoying because they fold the bottom mag lips in rather than out, which also provides a blocking mechanism.

it’s called curving the magazine to eliminate that problem after it is clear of the magazine well and grip and the first 11-12 rounds.  maybe can start curving a bit after 9th or 10th round i’m not an engineer but i don’t think it would be impossible, just ugly as home made sin.

Problem is you aren't clear enough of the grip by then.  I had seen a banana mag or two before looking into the engineering and deciding to pick lower-hanging fruit.  The NRA Museum has a crazy 40-round single-stack 1911 .45 mag in their collection from WW1 pilots-shooting-at-each-other-with-pistols days that curves once it gets out of the grip.  GSG makes a curved MP5 22 mag that holds 25 in a single stack.  Kel-tec does a bunch of interesting stuff with 22 mags.  There are some straight-to-curved hicap Marlin .22 mags out there.  Ram-line made fragile plastic 12-rounders for the Ruger using a constant-force roll spring 40 years ago.

It's doable, no question, but doing it in the existing Ruger 22 envelope reliably and cost-effectively is a different engineering challenge.

• 5 months later...
On 8/4/2021 at 6:42 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

The only high capacity rimfire magazines I know of are made for rifles like the 10/22 and various AR-22 models.  These 15 and 25 round magazines have a noticeable curve to compensate for the rim diameter and that's impractical for a magazine to fit into a pistol's grip. 

The Taurus TX22 comes with 16 round magazines, and it works well. Gun has a decent trigger, there's a cat who makes an aftermarket trigger that makes in better.

The rim end of the rounds are staggered to avoid needing to curve the mag. It's pretty slick. Similar to the S&W AR 22 magazines.

If course it's a Taurus, so long term reliability may or may not be an issue. 

• 7 months later...

Well, the p322 has a factory 20 round magazine, and they are suppose to have 25 round extended one coming out. I don't have the gun, but did see them magazine at a local Scheels, and it is smaller than most of my handgun magazines in all dimensions.