Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

been outta the game, getting back in..

wtf808

With all the ammo shortages, I'm forced to get back into the reloading game..  Thus, I'm clueless on the latest and greatest.  mostly been shooting 9mm in a XDM or X5 in IDPA, I want to ensure I make PF at around ~880-910 FPS would be safe.

Can any of your fine folks care to rank these components in best to not so best?  I realize it much can be matter of preference or opinion, but curious as a starting point..

1.  Primers.

- CCI #500

- Fed SP #100

- Fed Match GM100

- Winchester SPP

2. Powder 

- VV N320

- Hodg CFE Pistol

- Alliant Sport Pistol

- Accurate #2

3. Bullet

- Xtreme 147 Round Nose

- Precision Delta 147 RN FMJ

- Precision 147 FP

- Berrys 147 RN

Not sure what combo to start, would like to get some ranked opinions so I dont waste too much time trying to reinvent the wheel..  Or add something you think might be worth my time.

Many thanks in advance..  flame suit on :D 

Primers are... Mostly speculative. It's like gas brands. Most of the time, for most of the stuff, gas is gas, primers are primers, with little difference between brands. That being said, I'd rank the primers as Federal match, regular Federal, CCI, then Winchester. But that's mostly because I buy Federal because... Well I just get Federal... I usually don't bother with match primers in 9, or really anything small pistol primer.

Powder, my hands down vote is n320. It's the single most cleanest burning powder I've seen.

Bullet, I would go with Rocky mountain reloading 147 matchwinner(flat point) or the 124 mpr. Out of what you mentioned, I'd run the precision flat point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, wtf808 said:

What the heck, I'll give 'er a go...

1. Primers

- Fed SP #100 (most sensitive brand)

- Fed Match GM100 (not necessary but what the hell...)

- CCI #500

- Winchester SPP (I'm not a fan)

2. Powder

- Accurate #2

- Alliant Sport Pistol

- Hodgdon CFE Pistol

- VV N320 (I'll never pay the asking price)

* My 1st choice would be Titegroup if you go with an FMJ/plated bullet.

3. Bullet (I can't really help you here so I'll use my observations from this forum)

- Precision Delta 147 RN FMJ

- Precision 147 FP

- Berrys 147 RN

- Xtreme 147 Round Nose

Edited by 4n2t0

You may have to check small out of the way gun shops for some of the harder to find items like primers. Sometimes they are overlooked.  Other powders can “make do” until things get back in stock. Some shotgun powders like WW Super Field, Alliant American Select, Hodg Universal Clays, Win Super Light, 231 and 244 would get you going In a pinch. May not be ideal but goes bang and pushes lead out the end. 

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Sport Pistol, any primer you can find and coated bullets.

This was basically going to be my recommendation, with the caveat that N320 is also excellent if you're willing to spend N320 money. I've personally been very happy with blue bullets (specifically the 125 gr truncated cone), but I imagine the vast majority of coated bullets are pretty similar, and they're all going to be way cheaper than plated or jacketed...presuming they're available, which is the real problem at this point.  In my experience, there's not much difference between primer brands outside of tuned guns with lightened springs which need Federal for reliable ignition - the biggest thing I've seen is that Winchester don't work quite as well as CCI through my vibratory primer tube filler tool.

1.  Any primer you can find these days.  I use WSP because I have always used WSP and that's what I have on hand.  They work well but you can't be picky now.

2. Sport Pistol.  Well suited to coated bullets and 1/2 the cost of N320. 

3. Blue coated bullets. I use their 125 gr round nose but the 147 should be equally good.  They are accepting orders but the promised delivery times are 10 - 12 weeks.

On 8/10/2020 at 2:24 PM, Mrguns said:

delta precision

^^This!

I shot coated for years. Then I started loading PDs 124gr JHP and I forgot how much I enjoyed shooting this bullet!

When you buy in batches of 2000 rounds, they're really quite cost effective!

I run them with Prima V and SV.

YMMV

5 hours ago, v1911 said:

^^This!

I shot coated for years. Then I started loading PDs 124gr JHP and I forgot how much I enjoyed shooting this bullet!

When you buy in batches of 2000 rounds, they're really quite cost effective!

I run them with Prima V and SV.

YMMV

Thanks!  Problem is theyre almost harder to get than primers!   Are PDs that much better than the rest?

15 hours ago, wtf808 said:

Thanks!  Problem is theyre almost harder to get than primers!   Are PDs that much better than the rest?

Not that they are better than the rest. They are as good as others but I found them to be a better value when I ordered 2k. For jacketed bullets.

And when experimenting with a variety of powders and projectiles, I found them to be the most accurate (in my gun) regardless of what powder I used.

I prefer JHP for jacketed rounds because they leave a larger grease ring than FMJ. When I ran coated, I used to use FP rounds. But depending on the gun, they didn't feed as reliably. Then when I started shooting PCC, I ditched coated all together. Again, this is all situational. YMMV.