Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel grips on 2011

Mikeski

On 9/19/2020 at 10:12 PM, Dranoel said:

I find it funny that the main reason people started shooting the Chip McCormick/Tripp Research/STI double stack was the hi-tech polymer gripframe and now everyone is looking to go with metal. Much as I liked the first ones that came out, I always had my reservations about the two-piece frame held together by 2 screws. I went the Caspian route and never had any doubts or regrets.

No one ever went to STI grips because they were polymer. They went to them because they had high cap mags that were able to function flawlessly with 38 Super. They are held together by 3 screws, not 2. When 40 cal was able to be used in Limited, it was a no brainer to move to the STI platform. Caspian never caught on in my area because guys shooting STI were busy dodging mags being thrown in fits of rage in the middle of stages. The STI mags required cleaning and new springs and followers, maybe lip tuning once every year or 2. Caspian mags required constant work. I had a friend that had me work his mags over once a month with a Caspian. I finally relieved his stress level and watched him make Master in Open 4 months after he switched to the STI platform.

2 hours ago, limitedgun said:

No one ever went to STI grips because they were polymer. They went to them because they had high cap mags that were able to function flawlessly with 38 Super. They are held together by 3 screws, not 2. When 40 cal was able to be used in Limited, it was a no brainer to move to the STI platform. Caspian never caught on in my area because guys shooting STI were busy dodging mags being thrown in fits of rage in the middle of stages. The STI mags required cleaning and new springs and followers, maybe lip tuning once every year or 2. Caspian mags required constant work. I had a friend that had me work his mags over once a month with a Caspian. I finally relieved his stress level and watched him make Master in Open 4 months after he switched to the STI platform.

There were other Hi-Cap 1911 frames at the time, including Para-Ordnance and Caspian. Not to mention the sudden interest in Tanfoglio. STI was the one that became popular. Because of the polymer grips.

16 hours ago, Dranoel said:

There were other Hi-Cap 1911 frames at the time, including Para-Ordnance and Caspian. Not to mention the sudden interest in Tanfoglio. STI was the one that became popular. Because of the polymer grips.

Um, no.  As stated above, it wasn't because of the polymer grip.  It was because they were good quality and they worked.  Early para stuff was ok, but they had lots of quality issues, mainly with barrels and links breaking.  There magazines were also not as good and I believe were lower capacity than STI.  Caspian hi-cap frames were even worse quality than Para.  I bought one years back and the quality was so bad, I probably could have cast something nicer in my back yard.  Sent it back and never bought another one.  Plus their magazines were always a problem.  Tanfoglio is not a 1911 type design and never a serious competitor in the 1911/2011 market.

The main problem with caspian was during the assault weapon ban they refused to sell “repair” tubes.

Ive been running caspian’s since 94 and started with 6 mag, and 26 years later 4 of those are still in use, and being in the people’s republic, they’re  nurtured to 10 rounds and have been dropped, stepped on, kicked, left out in the rain and generally abused and keep going. Also caspian has at least 3 different 38 super/9mm mags, chromed, blued and the new style.

the blued and the 10 round mags were rubbish, the chromed are what I run and are fantastic, the new style 40 mags I have are someplace in between.

On 9/2/2020 at 9:08 PM, aandabooks said:

I'm a fan of the LSI myself because of the area under the trigger guard that has no grip texture where the middle finger sits?  Is that the area you're talking about because I think the double undercut that was referred to is to the trigger guard and not the grip.  The LSI already has the double undercut to the trigger guard.

Yes Precisely.  Just feels really comfortable.