Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x23 in a 38 Supercomp gun.

Rambo329

I have seen numerous threads on different sites where people have stated they have shot 9x23 in numerous 38 super/SC guns without any issues. I was just wanting to know if anyone has done so and what were their results or opinions on the idea. Thank you in advance. 

This normally not possible. The 9x23 is a tapered case and thus wider at the bottom than a 38super or supercomp even though they are the same length.

I suggest that the reverse is what most shooters have referred to.

If you have a 9x23 chamber then 9x19, 9x21, 38super, 38supercomp and 9mmLargo will all chamber and fire.

I've done it in a couple of guns. It depends on the chamber. However, since the 9X23 is tapered and wider at the base, the brass can get stuck in the 38 Super chamber when fired. This happened to me, and I had to pound the fired 9X23 case out. This was with factory 9X23 ammo and did not happen with every round fired, but it only takes one to get stuck to make it clear that it's a bad idea. 

Tolerances overlap.  WYSIWYG, you can if you can, you can't if you can't, which is why you get opposing reports.  

Before Colt and Winchester got into the game, the CP Elite 9x23 had two reamers; one for a new barrel, the other to relieve a .38 barrel just enough for the tapered case.  

I don’t think it matters after it goes thru your 38super sizing die...  Sure factory 9x23 ammo (if there is such a thing) might have an issue.

Like you ever notice when you size 9mm brass thru a carbide die its no longer a tapered case...   does anyone even make a non straight wall sizing ring full size die for 9mm that leaves it tapered?

Basically if you size it smaller than your chamber, it fits, it shoots...  the issue you might come into is ejection or extraction, pending how picky your gun is.

Ive been amazed at what kinda brass has run thru my super 1050, fired in my gun, and ended up reloaded again.  38 super, supercomputer, TJ, 9x23, 9 supercomp.  It all ends up in my practice ammo that I don’t even bother to case gauge check.  Does it feed and cycle, I mean I have more problems with 38 super brass stamped armscor or a-USA than 9x23.  I’m not paying to much attention, I clear the malfunction and keep shooting, so I’m not claiming it’s always 100%. But can you run in in a 38super and safely, of course.  

8 hours ago, jim vaughan said:

I think that you may have mixed up the last statement. A 9x23 chamber is larger than a 38 super. Therefore you cannot ream a 9x23 to 38 super.

The opposite is quite doable.

The 9X23 chamber is wider at the rear, but narrower at the front, than the 38 Super chamber. This is due to the 9X23 being tapered and the 38 Super being straight-walled. 

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.3-CFP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf