Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MD Scoring Device Options

Overscore

In my USPSA program, I've been holding onto some ancient BN Nooks as our scoring devices for Practiscore, but I'm going to have to give in and replace them.  I love them, since the batteries are fantastic and the screens can be seen in the sun without any problem.  What do you other match directors use, and what do you like or hate?  Am I stuck with going with a more modern tablet with poor battery life and poor screen visibility outdoors?

I have been using the amazon 8 inch Fires, You can adjust the font size and the screen brightness, have been pretty durable and reasonable prices for them catch them on sale for 50 each and the battery lasts for the whole match, you can also get cheap usb battery back ups at wally world for 5-10 bucks if you think you need then. Ours are 3 to 4 years old so far.

I agree with Mark on the Amazon fires. We use iPad minis in the southern Utah desert heat and during the warmer months we have to take care to cool them whenever possible or they will overheat by the third stage.

Our club also use Amazon Fires for scoring during matches. After the match the Amazon Fires are synced to an iPad to download the scores for uploading to PractiScore and USPSA (classifier scores). I do this since I’m the treasurer and stats guy for our club.

The range we shoot our matches at have covered cabanas with fans, lights and sockets to plug electrical and electronic equipments into. With that said, we didn’t have a need for any battery backups. 

Not  sure if it helps or not, but recently I was shopping for a new Fire and Amazon is offering trade in credit for the old ones. Wonder what happens to the old ones and if they would sell a dozen cheap.

1 hour ago, George16 said:

After the match the Amazon Fires are synced to an iPad to download the scores for uploading to PractiScore and USPSA (classifier scores). I do this since I’m the treasurer and stats guy for our club...

Curious why you need an ipad to sync scores from other devices. Like why not another Fire for that? 

8" tablets are they key, I have had good luck with the Samsungs and Amazon fires in 8" they have bigger batteries and the larger screen makes them easier to read in the sun, I run them with a 2 min time out and about 50% brightness and they go all day no problem, I tried running them at 100% brightness with a 15 second time out but people kept changing the time out because they didn't like having to click and swipe to start entering scores, luckily the big screen lets you still see them at lower brightness.

one of the other ranges in my area got some of the 7" fires and they were a nightmare, hard to see and the batteries would not make it for a 6 stage match. 

5 hours ago, euxx said:

Curious why you need an ipad to sync scores from other devices. Like why not another Fire for that? 

The iPad was a leftover piece when they went from the IPod to the amazon Fire for scoring. Since the iPad still work, the previous administration decided to just buy five Amazon Fires to save some money. That  was the reason I was given by the previous stats/treasurer guy. 

The iPad was a leftover piece when they went from the IPod to the amazon Fire for scoring. Since the iPad still work, the previous administration decided to just buy five Amazon Fires to save some money. That  was the reason I was given by the previous stats/treasurer guy. 
I see... As long as some differences does not bother you or you are more used to one or another.