Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Primer Pocket 10mm Auto

Guy Neill

Perhaps old news, but I missed it if so.

Processing some range brass 10mm, I discovered a percentage with small primer pockets.  The cases were CCI-Speer-Federal.  Most were Blazer headstamp, but Federal as well.

Stopping to think about it, it shouldn't be a surprise, but I don't load a lot of 10mm, so it was the first I knew about it.  This was the first brass I've gotten in 10mm in quite a while.

More sorting required.

think ammo makers are consolidating.  Started with the lead free only being small, then 45 acp became kinda random. Kinda a pain. As for me I can tell the difference in the brass until I try to load a primer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

yeh its a pain ,, im my post above it was a I CANT tell the difference till I load them.
Well from an ammo maker POV it makes sense. You could make small rifle primers, and use them for 90% of the ammo you sell.   Only thing left would be some larger caliber low volume hunting rifle ammo. Factory handguns seem to light off small rifle just fine. Look at all th eopen 9 guys that use them

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

At my job, we go through a bunch of 10mm from a selection of manufacturers.  I have been collecting brass for the 10mm for a month or so, since I've recently bought a Glock 20 Gen4.  Surprisingly, most of it has had Small Primer pockets, but a few were still Large.

I haven't seen any references to Small Primer use in 10mm except for this forum.  All of the Load Data from the powder manufacturers is still showing LP.

For me, this removes loading the 10mm as an option on my 1050s.  Trying to cram an LP into an SP pocket is a sure-fire way to light the whole stack of primers in the Magazine tube.  I'll pass....

Edit to Add:  I sorted out all of the brass that I have.  The Hornady, Double-Tap, and Starline brass is all LPP.  Only the "HEVI-SHOT" headstamp is SPP.

Edited by Braxton1

• 4 months later...

Another pita, so far ive seen hornady, federal,and one off brand with spp,  they load and shoot fine but now more sorting   I`m sticking to starline lpp 10mm brass only as I dont shoot it a lot.  

• 9 months later...

Be careful on flash hole size!   I have some R-P headstamped cases for 357sig that are small.   I had to hone/file down the stem to decap.   That was the only case I've had issues with.

• 7 months later...