Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moonclip Holder solution for husky folks?

KrymSIX

Hi all, 

I'm a bit of a husky guy and just got my Speed-e-rack. The speed e rack looks great and is well made. 

The only thing is, I'd like to create some kind of spacer or something to move it forward and have a bit more clearance from my gut. 

I'll be drilling holes into my competition belt and mounting it directly. Has anyone ever used pieces of an old leather belt or another competition belt to create a spacer of sorts? 

Also, does anyone know what size screws the speed e rack uses, since I'll need to pickup some longer screws to do this. 

Thanks for your help, 

Alex

I use north mountain moon clip holder with 1” aluminum spacers that I bought from McMaster-Carr. Buy them longer than you think you need and cut them to length. I both the .166 diameter through hole because my screws are 8-32 threads.

Have you tried it yet? I’m on the husky side too but with the Speed e Rack bolted to my belt, I only have issues getting to the very front one so use that one for my make ready load.

North Mountain worked for me with no problems.  I am also Husky ( Being Nice ) weighing 375 pounds and only 6 foot.  I never had a problem reaching for my magazines and they hold your moons well enough that you can run from position to position without worry.

5 hours ago, IVC said:

Brutal. Lol. 

17 hours ago, ysrracer said:

green-salad-1200-1387.jpg

Throw about 4 sliced up hard boiled eggs, about two handfuls of grated cheese and a grilled chicken breast or two in there and it would be pretty awesome... 

Edited by Makicjf

Lol. I don't have enough of a gut to warrant only eating rabbit food. I may just be weird and want them further out in front of me. My 2012 mags are set up so they're angled out a little and the height of the mags makes it really easy to grab. 

I made some spacers out of an old scrap steer hide belt. Drilled some holes to stack behind the speed e rack and just need to get some longer screws. 

The DAA belt is plenty stiff so I'm not worried about the spacers being too soft or anything. And for the price of free it'll be enough to get me through my first score match on the 19th. 

Thanks all

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, S&W627shooter said:

I just added Tech-Loks and it served two purposed: move the clips out further and make the rack easy to take off when I needed to go prone.

5.2.5.3 says you can’t alter the position of the equipment on your belt during a match. I’ve had an RM call me on this when I planned to remove mag holders to go prone.

12 minutes ago, S&W627shooter said:

I was thinking of ICORE competitions, not USPSA.

Okay. But ICORE 5.6 says all reloads have to come from the belt so unless you’re shooting a one-array stage, you’re going to still need your rack. My solution is to mount my rack from the belly button to left hip so I have a gap I can lay down on.

Edited by Mcfoto

1 minute ago, Mcfoto said:

Okay. But ICORE 5.6 says all reloads have to come from the belt so unless you’re shooting a one-array stage, you’re going to still need your rack.

Yes, I wanted to be able to take off my rack for one part of one stage--the 50 yard prone string of Far and Near Standards.  I have a Hogue 2-post holder that I keep clipped on the back of my belt for emergencies and specifically for this one string of Far and Near.  Other than that one stage, in 20 years of shooting ICORE, I do not remember having to go prone in a field course.

56 minutes ago, S&W627shooter said:

Yes, I wanted to be able to take off my rack for one part of one stage--the 50 yard prone string of Far and Near Standards.  I have a Hogue 2-post holder that I keep clipped on the back of my belt for emergencies and specifically for this one string of Far and Near.  Other than that one stage, in 20 years of shooting ICORE, I do not remember having to go prone in a field course.

We are lucky. Our local ICORE MD abhors prone. The last time he accidentally pulled a classifier that called for prone, we all agreed to skip that, call it a normal stage and ran two classifiers the next month. Our USPSA MD (also a revo GM) is keen on all the ninja moves including Cooper tunnels (although, to his credit, often coddles the weak with time-sucking alternatives)