Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are $5 D-Leading Painting Wipes the same as $15 D-Lead Shooting Wipes?

I've been trying to minimize my lead exposure and have bought D-Lead "pre-moistened cleaning towelettes" meant for shooting and paying a premium price. Then I noticed these Klean-Strip D-Lead Wipes for 1/3 the price in a paint store. They look, feel and smell identical but there is no real product information on either products' labeling. I don't think this stuff is regulated or inspected by third parties (no Good Housekeeping seals or government stuff on the label). 

Anyone know what the main chemicals used are and if my hunch is correct, these are probably very similar if not the same products with jacked up prices for shooters? 

Now that I'm used to cleaning everything 50x a day due to Covid I figure keeping the wipes in my range bag and cleaning up before contaminating my car and home is a good idea. Of course that'd mean I'd have to clean my car and home LOL. 

I know Lead Abatement is a large sub-industry for some contractors but never learned much about the details. 

Edited by Frankly

Years ago (~10?) when the D-Leads came out a group of us at a Tuesday night practice range compared them with Clorox handwipes (baby wipes).
We (including a sheriff’s forensic expert) concluded they were basically the same.
In my case I started religiously using the cheaper handwipes after shooting and picking up brass, as well as wearing the cheapest nitrile gloves while reloading. My lead levels went from ~30 to less than 20 in about 5 years.

Sent from my reloading bench using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ParaLarry said:

Years ago (~10?) when the D-Leads came out a group of us at a Tuesday night practice range compared them with Clorox handwipes (baby wipes).
We (including a sheriff’s forensic expert) concluded they were basically the same.
In my case I started religiously using the cheaper handwipes after shooting and picking up brass, as well as wearing the cheapest nitrile gloves while reloading. My lead levels went from ~30 to less than 20 in about 5 years.

was this the lead in your blood or did you measure it another way?  I use these wipes and soaps/scrubs religiously but the wipes seem to dry out before I use them up.

Edited by 18111811

you dont need a service for an MSDS,  now called SDS,  just google the product  and sds. 
Like most gun products on the market. Most likely these are just grossly overpriced and repackaged standard products.
They are just a bit of detergent and alcohol. 

was this the lead in your blood or did you measure it another way?  I use these wipes and soaps/scrubs religiously but the wipes seem to dry out before I use them up.

It’s a twice a year blood panel along with all the other tests my doctor insists on.
I keep the wipes in the shed storing targets and steel and they survive.

Well my physician wife (with undergrad chemistry degree) confirmed that almost any popular wipe is going to bond the metals and remove them from surfaces so even the grocery store Clorox wipes will do fine. The answer was close to home. 

Funny my lead level five years into serious shooting was 9 but I don't reload or handle lead dust to any great degree. I think 20 is when your primary care doc will start to say something about it, like stop licking paint chips. We all know to keep kids with developing nervous systems away from lead, especially dust from steel targets. 

I am starting to wear gloves and I note that some shooters are wearing their Covid masks not for Covid but to lessen the crap they breath in from shooting. I probably should but I am so sick of these things after this year.... 

Edited by Frankly

4 hours ago, ParaLarry said:

It’s a twice a year blood panel along with all the other tests my doctor insists on.
I keep the wipes in the shed storing targets and steel and they survive.

Thanks.  

I've never used the wipes before but I've been in a battery factory and they used d-lead hand soap during the mandatory hand wash after changing out of protective gear. They had it in gallon size pump bottles and would probably lean towards that over wipes.

Right now I just use hand wipes at the range and the wash my hand with gojo and then hand soap when I get home.

• 1 month later...

Lead really does a number on kids and I have a two year old so I’ve really been trying to do everything I can to limit exposure. I actually managed to get on of the engineers at esca-tech (makers of d-lead products) on the phone. He said the “active ingredient” so to speak works by binding to the heavy metals and making them rinsable. Ideally you apply the chemical and then rinse it off well. That’s not feasible at any of the outdoor ranges I shoot at so I use the wipes in lieu of rinsing, but I think it’s still important to Wash face and hands ASAP or better yet shower when I get home. Furthermore range clothes go straight in the washer with d-lead soap and then I run another cycle with the washer empty to remove any residual dust.

IIRC EDTA is/was the magic chemical for binding to lead and making it rinseable.  What that stands for I don't remember, but wikipedia says
"Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid", and the article implies there may be some better options now.