Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1100+650 vs mark 7 evo

I am debating what the optimal way to load bulk(ish) .223 and 9mm.  I don't know how much "better" the Evo press really is since I don't have hands on one.  The price of these two options is not too far off of each other.  Is the 1100/650 autodriven more prone to issues???  Looking for feedback

Option 1 (2 presses with autodrive)

1100 set up for deprime/size, swage/trim, neck prep (Lyman m die)

Wet tumble

Powder drop, bullet feed, seat, crimp

Option 2 (mark 7 Evo)

Possible 1 pass reloading, but realistically wanting to tumble in between needing just 2 tool heads for prep and loading

Option 3
1100 autodriven. 2 tool heads. 1 for brass processing and one for loading.
You could add a 3rd if you want to have one for loading 9 and one for loading .223
That's the route I went with.

Although I would like to get a Mark 7 at some point. They are awesome. I have a friend that has one. So I have seen it up close. The biggest benifit is the additional die positions on the tool head after the powder drop. Which allows for powder check while keeping seperate seat and crimp dies.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

Option 3
1100 autodriven. 2 tool heads. 1 for brass processing and one for loading.
You could add a 3rd if you want to have one for loading 9 and one for loading .223
That's the route I went with.

Although I would like to get a Mark 7 at some point. They are awesome. I have a friend that has one. So I have seen it up close. The biggest benifit is the additional die positions on the tool head after the powder drop. Which allows for powder check while keeping seperate seat and crimp dies.

That should have been listed as an option that I did explore.  I guess the idea in my head was that, 2 presses running simultaneously may be faster than the Evo.  In fact i would have to say it has to be faster.....but that only works if it feasible to run those two presses at the same time without massive headaches

6 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

I wouldn't recommend auto driving a 650 is that is what your asking. It will break a lot. Huge headache.

That is exactly the info I am looking for

4 minutes ago, m700 said:

There's also an 1100 and a cp2000 as about500 or so to the 1100/650 combo

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

its been considered.  I already have the 650 so that is why i was more leaning toward that combo (if i used 2 machines).  Seams like its not as favorable to automate the smaller machines from my research.  If I am going to make the financial investment i guess i would rather have the option of using the press to load in the future.  the CP eliminates that possibility

26 minutes ago, AHI said:

Option 3  is best 

option 4 second best  (cost more)  1100 and CP2000

Ok I am understanding that the auto drive is just not a great fit on the 650 machines.  (possible the biggest issue is the Priming system?)

So let me ask you:  when you say option 3 is the best....why do you take the dillon 1100 vs the mark 7 (if they are to be equiped the same way) 

I am not trying to disagree with you just trying to get as much info as I can before making a purchase.

Dont know if I can get it to the correct words .But hear goes. The one pass does and does not work.

Little things like there will be some brass shavings in the case after trimming . It takes a fairly heavy lube

to size cases in a small body die . This takes a little more time to clean off than I like to tumble loaded ammo.

Have found over years of processing brass that two light swaggings is better than one hard swagging. The one time

I be leave wet cleaning is is useful is to clean primer pockets .Thear are more little things its all in the details.

650   there are those that will disagree. but all the plastic parts  and constant timing issues . is why 

18 minutes ago, AHI said:

Dont know if I can get it to the correct words .But hear goes. The one pass does and does not work.

Little things like there will be some brass shavings in the case after trimming . It takes a fairly heavy lube

to size cases in a small body die . This takes a little more time to clean off than I like to tumble loaded ammo.

Have found over years of processing brass that two light swaggings is better than one hard swagging. The one time

I be leave wet cleaning is is useful is to clean primer pockets .Thear are more little things its all in the details.

650   there are those that will disagree. but all the plastic parts  and constant timing issues . is why 

If you have a spot open between trimming and powder charge in single pass processing, you can take a Dillon powder die and the standard size small shop vac hose can be placed over it. It can suck out shavings in the case during processing. You will either need two vacs or build adapter to split. 

36 minutes ago, AHI said:

So taking the the 1 pass element out of the Mark 7 press (im on the fence as to whether i was planning on doing that anyway) 

Mark 7 Pro's

Smoother operation (??????) with a more integrated automation plan

A few more options for what dies you use and where you can use them

Dillon Pro's

Cost

Established brand and availability of snagging good deals on used accessories on classifieds and ebay etc etc

Any opinions???

As I see it there is about a $1k Premium between the two options up front.  But there is a residual cost increase as the caliber changes and tool heads on the mark 7 carry a premium that i will have to pay for theoretically years down the road.  Are these cost premiums worth the performance it offers

With the Evo, they are supposed to be coming out with a cheaper version of the Revo priming systems from what I've seen on here, looks like same design just smaller capacity.  This may sway your opinion on the Evo as I believe it's a dump and go system.

I own neither press but have been eyeballing an Evo before all this Covid craziness started. 

19 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

With the Evo, they are supposed to be coming out with a cheaper version of the Revo priming systems from what I've seen on here, looks like same design just smaller capacity.  This may sway your opinion on the Evo as I believe it's a dump and go system.

I own neither press but have been eyeballing an Evo before all this Covid craziness started. 

Yes I have spoke with the people at mark 7.  To my knowledge the Revo primer colator is simmilar to a dillon primer tube filler in function.  Where as the new primer tray they are releaseing later this year will be more like an automated primer flip tray oscillating back and forth.  the Cost is relatively affordable for the addition (compared to the Revo primer option)  It is one of the driving factors for me looking at the Mark 7 evo

23 minutes ago, m700 said:

Can you get the revo priming system on the evo?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

you can but its around $2500ish  (which is insane in my opinion)

The new system they are developing is sub $500 i beleive

48 minutes ago, mioduz said:

you can but its around $2500ish  (which is insane in my opinion)

The new system they are developing is sub $500 i beleive

From what I've seen the new system is about the same cost as the old system, based off the mark 7 threads of people getting stripped machines and people saving about 500 when they don't keep the current primer system.

I'm waiting for a track record for the new system before I order one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 10:29 AM, Intheshaw1 said:

Yes supposedly in mid July they’re coming out with priming system that holds 300 to I think 500 primers. 

MK7 Evo is an awesome press no doubt as well as the Dillon RL1100. Both have their unique pros and cons, I have both! 

Dillon has been in the business for decades, also, it’s aftermarket support is second to none. MK7 Evo is basically a super improved version of the Dillon. MK7 improved upon what Dillon hasn’t. Dillon if it wanted to could do a better press, with an upgraded primer assemble system and get rid of that old outdated mechanic primer system. But I get it, Dillon is more focused on affordability and offering a good product for less money. 

Now that Dillon purchased Ammobot let’s see what Dillons comes out with. Personally, I think they saw MK7 stepped up their game and maybe soon Dillon will be doing the same. 

On 6/16/2020 at 5:24 AM, mioduz said:

That should have been listed as an option that I did explore.  I guess the idea in my head was that, 2 presses running simultaneously may be faster than the Evo.  In fact i would have to say it has to be faster.....but that only works if it feasible to run those two presses at the same time without massive headaches

Be aware that if you run two presses at the same time you will be tempted to replenish the supplies for the processing machine while you are running the loading machine.

That means the loading machine is not monitored during that period of time.

That means you need enough and various sensors to deal with whatever goes wrong while you are not watching it.

Do not run an unattended loading machine without enough sensors to bail you out when something goes wrong. Because it will.

I had the Dillon 1050’s and 650’s now the Mark7 and couldn’t go back! The one nice thing is you can buy it strip down and add components that you already have.