Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long before you started to see some wear on your PVD/DLC Coated slide?

Silverscooby27

Sometimes the shiny spots are where the finish gets filled in with whatever it has rubbed against as opposed to it actually wearing off.

I have a Fusion 1911 with IonBondDLC and it has some shiny spots after 12-15K rounds and a buddy dropping it during a COF in a match, but they are from what it touches rubbing off into the finish's "pores" and creating a mark...not from finish wearing off at all.

Edited by wgj3

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve put 20,000 rounds through my main Limited minor 2011 that was DLC finished. Have had it for 2 years now. I don’t use a race holster, and it’s lived in a custom Kydex holster for that whole time.

Barely any wear at all. DLC is amazing. 

On 7/12/2020 at 3:17 PM, geraldskip said:

I’ve put 20,000 rounds through my main Limited minor 2011 that was DLC finished. Have had it for 2 years now. I don’t use a race holster, and it’s lived in a custom Kydex holster for that whole time.

Agree. I had about the same on my limited as well before changing platforms. The process isn’t a coating, it’s process that penetrates metal, several thousands of an inch and that’s the reason it last and looks good for so long.
iMO, It’s the only way to go. 👍🏼

On 7/19/2020 at 9:37 PM, a matt said:

Agree. I had about the same on my limited as well before changing platforms. The process isn’t a coating, it’s process that penetrates metal, several thousands of an inch and that’s the reason it last and looks good for so long.
iMO, It’s the only way to go. 👍🏼

I believe DLC is indeed a coating, of carbon in different structures (sp2/sp3?) that is on the order of several microns (~0.0003”). You may be thinking of black oxide or nitriding/carburizing. 

On 6/20/2020 at 11:05 AM, jpease said:

I've put around 10,000 through my open gun and it still isn't showing wear. I had DLC done by Richter Precision and they offer double coating( highly recommend).

what holster?

On 7/12/2020 at 12:17 PM, geraldskip said:

can you post pics of the muzzle?

17 minutes ago, geraldskip said:

Here’s one of the gun where you can see the tiny bit of wear

EC759D46-2954-4985-8D05-D97B1BA461FD.jpeg

Thanks. That’s the wear I expected from the holster. Shooting an open gun from an Everglades race holster, I get the same removal of the finish on the trigger guard (which is steel). 

On 7/27/2020 at 11:33 AM, selecw said:

Thanks. That’s the wear I expected from the holster. Shooting an open gun from an Everglades race holster, I get the same removal of the finish on the trigger guard (which is steel). 

it’s there, but really isn’t bad at all. I am only going with DLC finishes in the future. By far the best out there.